Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 11:00 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,246,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVols865 View Post
Here is my list of states in the modern South (excluding Missouri) from least southern to most southern.

16. Delaware. Nothing is southern about this state.
15. Maryland. This state is more associated with the Northeast.
14. Virginia. This state is transitional between Northern VA and the Upper South.
13. Florida. This state is a retirement haven for northern transplants, which lessens its southern influences.
12. Texas. TX is an unique region of its own. Thanks to bustling cities and booming economy with Mexican influences, it doesn't feel southern.
11. North Carolina. Like VA, TX, and FL, the state has its share of northern transplants with good economy dubbing the "New South."
10. Louisiana. Although it's a poor state, its French Cajun tradition and New Orleans make it interesting than surrounding states of MS & AR.
9. Tennessee. TN is becoming the next North Carolina due to rapid urbanization in Nashville to tourism in its eastern part.
8. Georgia. Thanks to Atlanta, Georgia is extremely popular. We however cannot forget its southern traditions, accent, and the fact that all of GA is not Atlanta.
7. Oklahoma. Although it is Midwestern to some, the cities resemble the South.
6. Kentucky. Although it may be a border state, it feels very southern.
5. South Carolina. Both Upstate and Charleston are very southern.
4. Alabama. Despite its growing economy, it's still the Heart of the Dixie.
3. Arkansas. It's like the better version of Mississippi.
2. Mississippi. No state can be more southern than this one.
1. West Virginia. Like KY, it's a sparsely populated border state rallied behind its coal mining economy. I ranked WV 1st because I would rather live in MS than in WV.
Nothing against Mississippi, my sister lives there, but why would anyone not want to live in West Virginia if they could? It is a beautiful state with the nicest people living there. If you were looking for great employment opportunities I could understand that. But if you could have a choice without economic restrictions, I can't imagine anywhere better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 01:18 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You obviously don't know what southern is. Virginia is a state that I barely consider southern, more of a transition once you hit NOVA. Atlanta? You speak nonsense. Have you been to Atlanta, Texas, or north AND south Florida?
Have you ever been to the state of Maryland outside of DC and Baltimore???????

Old 06-08-2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well Richmond isn't in NOVA and it has by far more Southern influence than El Paso, SA, and the Valley. Richmond is the South. Virginia becomes a transition state once you get to Fredericksburg coming from both directions. But like Texas, the majority of Virginia is very Southern in feel, dialect, food, w/e.
Maryland is also a transitioning state..

Maryland Eastern Shore and Southern Maryland are just as Southern as Fredericksburg, VA and Richmond, VA........

Old 06-08-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I've been to Richmond. It's just as Southern as anywhere I've been in the South. I don't see what's so non-Southern about it.
I don't see why some people who never been to Maryland would outright deny the Fact that Maryland is Southern.....

Old 06-08-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Again, ranking southernness is bull. New Orleans doesn't make Louisiana less southern, neither does Acadiana (Cajun Country), it's just as southern as Mississippi. I mean is New York less northeastern cause people come from all over? No.
Right.......

So just because Baltimore and DC is in Maryland it does not dictate against the Fact that Maryland is a Southern state.......

Its very embarrassing that some people get personally offended at the fact that Maryland is part of the South......

Old 06-08-2011, 02:50 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
I agree, even the panhandle isn't much more Southern than LA, AK, etc, etc.
<snip>
Essentially, all of these places are Southern. But if we're ranking based on "Southerness" than some are less Southern than the others based on History.
THIS is an interesting way to do it, Polo! That is, rank by parts of states as well as whole states (when applicable)! I am going to give it a shot that way! LOL

Backtracking, as mentioned, this thread goes back to 2007. On posts 16 and 60 (back in 2007!) I did a ranking using two different criteria, respectively. I have learned quite a bit since then from folks from certain states as to their Southern history and culture (as well as continuing independent research as Southern history/culture is an avocation of mine! Yikes!). So, I am going to "update" my list under the #60 criteria, and using Polo's very relevant "division" of some states.

Anyway, here are mine (again, updated) on a 1-10 scale. Naturally the scale is subjective. But on this one (by gawd and realizing nobody gives a damn! LOL), it would be something like this (and I know it needs tweaking!):

9 -10: Unquestionably Southern with no dilutions of any real consequence.
7.0-8.9: Overwhelmingly Southern, but with a few noteable and gradiated dilutions.
6.0 - 6.9: Decidedly Southern, but with enough other influences as to be of consideration
4 - 5: Generally equally Southern and of other regional influence
2.0- 3.9: Some Southern influence, but of relatively minor impact.
0 - 1.9: Very little, if anything, Southern about it.

So without further ado, here is my worthless two cents worth!

Mississippi - 10
Alabama - 9.7
Georgia - 9.6
South Carolina - 9.5
Louisiana - 9.3
Deep East Texas - 9.0
North Florida - 9.0
Tennessee- 8.5
North Carolina - 8.4
Arkansas - 8.0
Virginia - 7.5
Kentucky - 7.3
Eastern/SE Oklahoma - 7.0
West Texas - 6.9
Southern/Central Oklahoma - 6.7
West Virginia - 6.5
Missouri - 4.5
South Florida - 3.5
Far West Texas - 3.0
Maryland - 2.0
Delaware - 1.0

Last edited by TexasReb; 06-08-2011 at 02:59 AM..

Old 06-08-2011, 08:34 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Right.......

So just because Baltimore and DC is in Maryland it does not dictate against the Fact that Maryland is a Southern state.......

Its very embarrassing that some people get personally offended at the fact that Maryland is part of the South......
I've been to Maryland several times as I have a friend who resides in just outside of Hagerstown. I can sort of see what you're saying, but the impression I have is that it's more hillbilly in some areas as opposed to being southern. Being close to West Virginia will do that.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:55 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
THIS is an interesting way to do it, Polo! That is, rank by parts of states as well as whole states (when applicable)! I am going to give it a shot that way! LOL

Backtracking, as mentioned, this thread goes back to 2007. On posts 16 and 60 (back in 2007!) I did a ranking using two different criteria, respectively. I have learned quite a bit since then from folks from certain states as to their Southern history and culture (as well as continuing independent research as Southern history/culture is an avocation of mine! Yikes!). So, I am going to "update" my list under the #60 criteria, and using Polo's very relevant "division" of some states.

Anyway, here are mine (again, updated) on a 1-10 scale. Naturally the scale is subjective. But on this one (by gawd and realizing nobody gives a damn! LOL), it would be something like this (and I know it needs tweaking!):

9 -10: Unquestionably Southern with no dilutions of any real consequence.
7.0-8.9: Overwhelmingly Southern, but with a few noteable and gradiated dilutions.
6.0 - 6.9: Decidedly Southern, but with enough other influences as to be of consideration
4 - 5: Generally equally Southern and of other regional influence
2.0- 3.9: Some Southern influence, but of relatively minor impact.
0 - 1.9: Very little, if anything, Southern about it.

So without further ado, here is my worthless two cents worth!

Mississippi - 10
Alabama - 9.7
Georgia - 9.6
South Carolina - 9.5
Louisiana - 9.3
Deep East Texas - 9.0
North Florida - 9.0
Tennessee- 8.5
North Carolina - 8.4
Arkansas - 8.0
Virginia - 7.5
Kentucky - 7.3
Eastern/SE Oklahoma - 7.0
West Texas - 6.9
Southern/Central Oklahoma - 6.7
West Virginia - 6.5
Missouri - 4.5
South Florida - 3.5
Far West Texas - 3.0
Maryland - 2.0
Delaware - 1.0
Pretty solid ranking. I'd add Central Florida on that list, and I'd put it below Missouri, right above South Florida. Central Florida is at a 4.2.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:12 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Right.......

I have my reasons, plus I'm from the deep south. My aunt and her family are from VA Beach, nothing southern about them whatsoever, and they don't consider themselves southern when the came to visit us in Louisiana.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:43 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Pretty solid ranking. I'd add Central Florida on that list, and I'd put it below Missouri, right above South Florida. Central Florida is at a 4.2.
Eh. Id put Central Florida higher than Missouri. I also would say south central Florida us higher than Central Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City