Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 04:11 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,236,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED83 View Post
German discount grocer Lidl has plans for a store in Goldsboro according to the planning commission the 36,170 square foot store would be located on Wayne Memorial Drive across from Harris Teeter...
This will be Lidl #1142. Lidl is quickly securing sites and propelling store plans across North Carolina.

The next grocer that could be coming to Goldsboro would be supermarket Publix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 05:54 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,819,674 times
I didn't expect Lidl to try to move into Goldsboro so soon. I figured Publix would get there first. Even more ironic was that I guessed Publix would move into the spot Lidl is wanting to build at between CVS Pharmacy and the Kangaroo gas station. Smart move by the city to make those traffic improvements to Wayne Memorial Drive before allowing more development. Man, Food Lion is gonna get creamed. If Lidl gets the greenlight from the city council and Publix does come to Goldsboro, Food Lion won't stand a chance. Good move by Wendy's to move into the corner of NC-581/US-70, which is very close to the US-70 Goldsboro Bypass, a future interstate, so it'll pull in local and interstate traffic. I expect more businesses will open up at the Goldsboro Bypass interchange along NC-581. Now, if only CSX would build their hub in Wayne County. Where is the Maxwell Regional Agricultural and Convention Center going to be built? I love reading about these new developments in my old stomping grounds!

Last edited by LM117; 05-24-2016 at 06:09 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 08:48 PM

123 posts, read 522,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I didn't expect Lidl to try to move into Goldsboro so soon. I figured Publix would get there first. Even more ironic was that I guessed Publix would move into the spot Lidl is wanting to build at between CVS Pharmacy and the Kangaroo gas station. Smart move by the city to make those traffic improvements to Wayne Memorial Drive before allowing more development. Man, Food Lion is gonna get creamed. If Lidl gets the greenlight from the city council and Publix does come to Goldsboro, Food Lion won't stand a chance. Good move by Wendy's to move into the corner of NC-581/US-70, which is very close to the US-70 Goldsboro Bypass, a future interstate, so it'll pull in local and interstate traffic. I expect more businesses will open up at the Goldsboro Bypass interchange along NC-581. Now, if only CSX would build their hub in Wayne County. Where is the Maxwell Regional Agricultural and Convention Center going to be built? I love reading about these new developments in my old stomping grounds!
The Convention center will be located on Wayne Memorial Drive across from Wayne Community College right at the exit on the new Goldsboro bypass and I think these new projects will greatly enhance this retail corridor which I like to call Goldsboro's own little midtown with the hospital, the college, the convention center and the established retail and coming new retail and high end residential in this area the Wayne Memorial corridor is primed for even more growth.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:20 AM

Quote:
I didn't expect Lidl to try to move into Goldsboro so soon. I figured Publix would get there first. Even more ironic was that I guessed Publix would move into the spot Lidl is wanting to build at between CVS Pharmacy and the Kangaroo gas station. Smart move by the city to make those traffic improvements to Wayne Memorial Drive before allowing more development. Man, Food Lion is gonna get creamed. If Lidl gets the greenlight from the city council and Publix does come to Goldsboro, Food Lion won't stand a chance.
Publix announced yesterday its 33rd store in North Carolina in Catawba County. It will have more new location announcements as it expands across North Carolina.

I will agree with you Food Lion will struggle. It has not taken opportunities to improve.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED83 View Post
The Convention center will be located on Wayne Memorial Drive across from Wayne Community College right at the exit on the new Goldsboro bypass and I think these new projects will greatly enhance this retail corridor which I like to call Goldsboro's own little midtown with the hospital, the college, the convention center and the established retail and coming new retail and high end residential in this area the Wayne Memorial corridor is primed for even more growth.
Perfect spot for the convention center! Right off of future I-36. I agree, I think Wayne Memorial Drive is in for a boom in retail and residential construction. Berkeley Boulevard will soon have some competition. Another corridor to be on the lookout for is NC-581 near the Walmart and the Goldsboro Bypass interchange. I doubt much retail other than fast food would locate there in the immediate vicinity with Walmart close by (I could be wrong). That area would be more well-suited for industrial locations and/or hotels, IMO.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I will agree with you Food Lion will struggle. It has not taken opportunities to improve.
2 Food Lion stores have already closed in Goldsboro. One Food Lion closed nearly 10 years ago. It was located directly across from Walmart on Spence Avenue. It was actually a decent store. Ollie's is currently in the old Food Lion building. The other one closed recently at 1322 Grantham Street. I don't know exactly when it closed, but it was sometime in the past year or two if I'm not mistaken. There are only 4 Food Lion stores left in the vicinity of Goldsboro with only one in downtown on Ash Street. The other 3 are in the outskirts.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
2 Food Lion stores have already closed in Goldsboro. One Food Lion closed nearly 10 years ago. It was located directly across from Walmart on Spence Avenue. It was actually a decent store. Ollie's is currently in the old Food Lion building. The other one closed recently at 1322 Grantham Street. I don't know exactly when it closed, but it was sometime in the past year or two if I'm not mistaken. There are only 4 Food Lion stores left in the vicinity of Goldsboro with only one in downtown on Ash Street. The other 3 are in the outskirts.
A Food Lion against a Walmart Supercenter, or now a Walmart Neighborhood Market, usually does not do well. There are trade areas where a customer must choose between the lesser of two evils.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
A Food Lion against a Walmart Supercenter, or now a Walmart Neighborhood Market, usually does not do well. There are trade areas where a customer must choose between the lesser of two evils.
I think the Food Lion at 219 NC Highway 111 South near the US-70 intersection will be the next one to close. A Walmart Neighborhood Market recently opened up at that intersection practically right next door to Food Lion. I don't see Food Lion lasting much longer at that location.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I think the Food Lion at 219 NC Highway 111 South near the US-70 intersection will be the next one to close. A Walmart Neighborhood Market recently opened up at that intersection practically right next door to Food Lion. I don't see Food Lion lasting much longer at that location.
It seems Walmart Neighborhood Market is an upgrade from Food Lion. Several Food Lion stores that operate where Walmart Neighborhood Market stores have opened have closed within a year, or have seen decreases in business.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,386 times
Hi I am new here What is happening to the area they demo'd on Berkley Blvd?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina