Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2023, 11:17 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollabackmjjd View Post
A few days ago I reached out to whoever controls The Ficklen Instagram account regarding the status of the project and they told me it is currently on hold.
That's pretty disappointing but not completely surprising. That's a huge project. I can only imagine the cleanup from the chemical place that was there previously. Wonder if there were any issues with Marriott rethinking the hotel space.

I know everyone wants to keep a "historic" building around, but would a complete demo be a better option compared to renovation? It's a huge piece of property downtown and definitely needs a good plan for it going forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2023, 01:57 PM

455 posts, read 528,229 times
The complaining over Uptown parking is obnoxious. Greenville NC's plan doesn't look too dissimilar to Greenville SC's plan. We complain about not enough parking, but then also complain about raising funds to support parking and potential options.

Old 03-22-2023, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
That's pretty disappointing but not completely surprising. That's a huge project. I can only imagine the cleanup from the chemical place that was there previously. Wonder if there were any issues with Marriott rethinking the hotel space.

I know everyone wants to keep a "historic" building around, but would a complete demo be a better option compared to renovation? It's a huge piece of property downtown and definitely needs a good plan for it going forward.
Isn't the project contingent upon the city upgrading the infrastructure/roadway along Ficklen Street? I hope that it is simply delayed because they're waiting on the city to complete their part of the agreement.

Would be very disappointing to see that project fall through...

Old 03-22-2023, 02:25 PM

247 posts, read 445,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Isn't the project contingent upon the city upgrading the infrastructure/roadway along Ficklen Street? I hope that it is simply delayed because they're waiting on the city to complete their part of the agreement.

Would be very disappointing to see that project fall through...
I agree. I told them that I hope the project comes to fruition and they said they hope so too.

Old 03-22-2023, 06:20 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
The complaining over Uptown parking is obnoxious. Greenville NC's plan doesn't look too dissimilar to Greenville SC's plan. We complain about not enough parking, but then also complain about raising funds to support parking and potential options.
I think it’s because we really don’t have an issue down there now. Pre-pandemic parking was a problem, but it’s never really recovered to what it was. The parking plan is damaging to downtown at this point.

Old 03-23-2023, 07:04 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollabackmjjd View Post
A few days ago I reached out to whoever controls The Ficklen Instagram account regarding the status of the project and they told me it is currently on hold.
That's a complicated project. It may have to do with inflation prices and inflation of interest rates to borrow money. And while I love the Food Hall "idea" I'm a little concerned about the market for a food hall. That project may be better in 5 years or so as Greenville continues to fill in. I think the Food Hall is going to be best once the Millennial campus is more up and running.

Hoping the Museum relocation and Apartments on Dickinson are still happening though. And of course you have the Hilton which should be coming out of the ground soon enough.

Old 03-23-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I think it’s because we really don’t have an issue down there now. Pre-pandemic parking was a problem, but it’s never really recovered to what it was. The parking plan is damaging to downtown at this point.
Good perspective, thank you!

Any idea what housing development this is referring too, I do not have the subscription: https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...-approved.html

Also excited to see this endeavor announced and hopefully the state will support the cause https://www.witn.com/video/2023/03/2...d-town-common/

Old 03-23-2023, 09:28 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
The TBJ article is loading for me though I don’t have a subscription either. It says the apartments are near Allen Road and Stantonsburg Road and will be called Greenville Station.

Old 03-23-2023, 11:20 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
That's a complicated project. It may have to do with inflation prices and inflation of interest rates to borrow money. And while I love the Food Hall "idea" I'm a little concerned about the market for a food hall. That project may be better in 5 years or so as Greenville continues to fill in. I think the Food Hall is going to be best once the Millennial campus is more up and running.

Hoping the Museum relocation and Apartments on Dickinson are still happening though. And of course you have the Hilton which should be coming out of the ground soon enough.
I believe the Taft development is still in play. There was an article in the reflector about the progress on the science museum moving to the Cupola building. Work on renovations for the science museum started in January and will take 6-8 months to complete. Once that happens I assume work will start on the new development with the apartments and parking deck.

I think a food hall can still work uptown. You only need 6-8 stalls and a bar. The Old North State food hall in Smithfield has 10 stalls and 15,000 square feet and is quite nice. I think you can find that size of building in Downtown Greenville no problem.

I don't see the big issue with parking. The new parking plan still leaves completely free parking by the courthouse and Town commons. Two hours free parking in most other spaces and only 75 cents or a dollar an hour after that. That's only being enforced from 7am to 7pm Monday-Friday.

IMO, there's not enough going on downtown to spend two whole hours unless you're going to court. It's not like there's some event center or stadium that would require people to visit for 5-6 hours at a time.

Old 03-23-2023, 12:02 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Also excited to see this endeavor announced and hopefully the state will support the cause https://www.witn.com/video/2023/03/2...d-town-common/[/quote]

This seems like a project NCORR could help fund with their resiliency funding, since this is creating a more natural landscape and there is a stormwater component to it. Maybe the Mayor should be on the phone with the Governor's office instead of the legislature. They probably already have $10 million they can use from Hurricane Matthew funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina