Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 12:52 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times

Advertisements

With it being Memorial Day weekend I'd like to revisit the topic of Greenville having an independent Veterans Park. Under the current downtown configurations there doesn't seem to be a good small, somewhat central location to establish one. I'd like see one within eyesight of the courthouse (it would make for a good backdrop in photographs during visits/events). In walking around the best place I can see right now could be right across the street from the Chamber of Commerce on the block surrounded by 3rd/Greene/2nd/Pitt. Right now part of that block has a parking lot, a field, and the odd-shaped (former bank) Public Defenders Office. Assuming the county will eventually consolidate several of their offices into one or two complexes, I think the south half of this block (as seen in these photos) could work as a site for a Veterans Park if that building were to come down.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 05:34 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
In regards to a Veterans Parks, there is currently items set up in the Town Commons. Maybe somewhere closer, like 2nd/Evans/1st/Washington.

Currently, Tax Offices and Sheriffs Office are there. There are talks about Sheriffs moving to the Detention Center (among other places). Plus the Williams Cemetery is there. Kind of hard to do any easy development there with the cemetery.

Maybe landscape it to connect the Courthouse to the river.

Instead of just a Veterans Park, maybe include fallen law enforcement and fire/rescue. And make it for East(ern) Carolina, not just Greenville/Pitt. These people deserve a memorial, but also Greenville needs to start these type projects to solidify their position as the "Capital of the East".

Here is a page to see all of the fallen Officers. The link is for Greenville.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:33 AM

I am well aware of the Veterans Memorial "area" we currently have. I am also aware there is a lot more space dedicated to some some BS, complicated, mathematical sundial or whatever it is. I don't think there should be a park across the street from a park - The Town Commons. Another possible location for an independent Veterans Park could be the NW corner of 3rd and Cotanche if the old Jericho's/Andy's were to be torn down. It could even be L-shaped around the US Attorney's Office. It could be a good spot for court workers to take their breaks/lunches.

I'm not sure if being "the hub" should include a regional memorial site. Localities like to honor their own. It'd be a touchy endeavor trying to convince other communities to come to Greenville when they'd prefer to do it their own way. People might come to visit a museum or a learning center, but a memorial park tends to be more personal. I am, however, in favor of a memorial park being for more than just military.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:47 AM

327 posts, read 602,517 times
I've been out of the area for a while. I noticed that there's a relatively new funeral home called Smith's Funeral Home and Cremation serving Greenville. How long have they been open? Are they able to compete with Wilkerson? I know Farmer tried to open in Greenville, but they couldn't compete.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:12 PM

247 posts, read 445,123 times
Tabeya on Greenville Blvd has closed.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:51 AM

52 posts, read 96,873 times
Here's to hoping that once the last BLOCKBUSTER store (Greenville Blvd) in town closes, that they'll tear down that little strip and build something else. *FingersCrossed

Old 05-28-2013, 06:52 AM

where is the Five Below store going?

Old 05-28-2013, 07:13 AM

25 posts, read 35,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePippin0982 View Post
Here's to hoping that once the last BLOCKBUSTER store (Greenville Blvd) in town closes, that they'll tear down that little strip and build something else. *FingersCrossed
Hopefully they tear down that strip mall and the hotel along with it and build a nice shopping center.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePippin0982 View Post
where is the Five Below store going?
The address is University Commons. It appears they will fill up the excess space created by Harris Teeter when they remodeled the former Kroger into a smaller store.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:09 AM

Yeah, I wish that old Motel 6/Red Roof Inn would be demolished!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina