Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2013, 08:11 AM

52 posts, read 96,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
The address is University Commons. It appears they will fill up the excess space created by Harris Teeter when they remodeled the former Kroger into a smaller store.
Oh ok. There or the old Circuit City would be a good place for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 08:14 AM

52 posts, read 96,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePippin0982 View Post
Oh ok. There or the old Circuit City would be a good place for it.
Oh nevermind. It is going into that space to the left of Harris Teeter. Just got that information from this link... Brixmor - Property Profile

Old 05-28-2013, 09:04 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,438 times
Quote:
Yeah, I wish that old Motel 6/Red Roof Inn would be demolished!
I agree. They could tear it down an build another set of those building that they are constructing at the old AAA/Car Dealership lot a spot down from that Motel 6 lot . It would really change the look of the area. Looks like the Motel 6 left and a different name is now on that building.

I still think that Greenville needs some type of Civic Center/Arena. When they originally planned the convention center, I wish they had raised the roof and created an actual arena instead. You could still host the gun/knife shows and the other various convention events. But with a Civic center, it would be easier to host sporting events and concerts as well. Maybe land some more WWE shows or a minor league hockey or indoor football team.

Something similar to the Cabarrus Arena and events center in Concord, NC would be perfect!

Cabarrus Arena and Events Center

I was driving through Sumter, SC with my girlfriend's family this weekend and noticed that they even had a Civic center. Looks like it seats about 3,000 and the whole lot didn't take up more than the current convention center lot here. If Sumter can have something like this, I don't see why Greenville would not

With all of this being said, I think that the GCC has done well attracting events for the city.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:10 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,109 times
Quote:
Yeah, I wish that old Motel 6/Red Roof Inn would be demolished!
Rodeway Inn just took over operations, so not likely to come down soon.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:58 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times

New aerial of the Maynard Childrens Hospital addition.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:34 PM

145 posts, read 266,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post

New aerial of the Maynard Childrens Hospital addition.
WOW. That looks amazing!!! If only they would work on unifying the main hospital facade with the Heart Institute and the Children's Hospital. I do think that after they build the new cancer center/tower then that should be the next big project. I am loving the architectural design that they are using because it's modern but still unique. The great thing is that now you are able to distinguish the ECU Health Campus buildings(which are now mostly brick) from the Vidant Hospital buildings(which have their own sand colored brick/modern look).

If you look at the picture much of the whole main hospital complex consists of a lot of low density (only about 1 or 2 floors) buildings so I believe that they have definitely have plenty of space to expand when they need to. Is there any way to know how many of the general beds are full at Vidant on average? I believe max capacity is 75 general beds but I was wondering if they may need to expand to add more soon.

Vidant Medical Center will be, for most people, their first impression of Greenville when they come off of 264 so it is very important for them to be impressed by the hospital. I really wish the city would finally improve Stantonsburg because it needs a nice center median and some landscaping. But I think improving downtown is a better idea first in the long run. I think (unless they actually do something about it sooner) that the 10th street connector will help spur along this project along with it.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:47 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
Is there any way to know how many of the general beds are full at Vidant on average? I believe max capacity is 75 general beds but I was wondering if they may need to expand to add more soon.
Vidant Medical Center is licensed for 861 beds and they don't stay empty for long. It is the main hospital for 29 counties and 1.4 million people.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:12 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
‘Leap frogging’ economic competition

A city committee met privately on Tuesday with outside officials to discuss a request from a potential developer, one apparently interested in the city’s investment grant program. The meeting of the City Council Economic Development Committee, held in closed session at City Hall, continues a recent spate of local development activity in the city. The session arose from a request from what city Economic Development Officer Carl Rees called a “local developer.” Also attending Tuesday’s meeting was Michael Lemanski, director of the Development Finance Initiative at the UNC-Chapel Hill School of Government, who served as a consultant at the meeting.“We have received a request from a local developer related to our capital investment grant program,” Rees said. “After talking to the city’s executive management, we thought it would be prudent to bring the Institute of Government in, DFI specifically, to help us go through and sort through that particular request and then offer us any advice they might have on our response on the request.” After introductions, the committee moved to go into closed session to discuss the request.“This would be to discuss matters relating to location or expansion of industries or other businesses in the area served by the Greenville City Council,” Rees said. Rees said he could not reveal any more details about the developer other than the request for a capital investment grant. Greenville Mayor Allen Thomas said there are a “number of projects” coming down the line based on recent collaborative efforts in the city and county. Tuesday’s meeting was about specific details on some of those projects that will be released later, he said. . In recent weeks, two major announcements have promised to change the face of downtown Greenville, one a student housing complex under construction by local developers Tom Taft and Jim Ward; and an East Fifth Street renovation project involving several downtown buildings proposed by CommunitySmith,a Raleigh developer. All this activity comes amid recent City of Greenville and Greenville-Pitt Chamber of Commerce economic assessments that have pointed to strengths and weaknesses in the area’s ongoing efforts to attract new business and industry. The assessments said that in order to leap frog its competitors, Greenville has to be “transformational” and take advantage of its assets, instead of merely keeping pace. For Thomas, the assessments have presented more opportunities for collaboration.“Until a year ago, there was no professional economic development component to the City of Greenville,” Thomas said. . . "We’re taking a much more collaborative approach now. This is a very important focus for the chamber of commerce, the city and also the county. We felt Greenville needed to be much less passive in economic development ... Over the past year we’ve been working very diligently to create opportunities for the community.” The assessments have given city staff a starting line, Thomas said.“What this gives us is an up-to-the-minute snapshot of how we compare and what our strengths and weaknesses may be,” he said. “The next big step will be a process of synthesizing those different analyses into a cohesive plan for the city and the county.” “But the backbone of the 2013 economy are startup companies, which are often the spin-offs of the university environment,” Thomas said. “It’s about retention and expansion because the small businesses have a proven track record. We need to go to them and say: ‘How can we help you innovate and expand and put more people to work in quality jobs?’ . The next scheduled meeting for the economic development committee is on June 25.“We’ll talk a little bit about where we plan to head,” Rees said. “Most everything we do will be coming out of recommendations from the assessments.”

Old 05-29-2013, 12:22 PM

145 posts, read 266,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Vidant Medical Center is licensed for 861 beds and they don't stay empty for long. It is the main hospital for 29 counties and 1.4 million people.
Ok, now I feel stupid. I obviously wasn't thinking right or something but that makes more sense. Shouldn't have believed Wikipedia... Well, anyhow. It does seem like they could use a main hospital expansion in the close future though. The smart choice would be to build one but build it to support more floors later like they did with the children's hospital.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:18 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
The smart choice would be to build one but build it to support more floors later like they did with the children's hospital.
Building out is cheaper than building up. There are still hundreds of acres of undeveloped land in close proximity to the hospital. Only when it becomes cheaper to build up than out, will they begin to do that. They can also continue to move parking lots and building on them. You'll be able to tell when they start running out of land. They'll start building multi-level parking decks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina