Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2017, 09:05 PM

378 posts, read 419,093 times

Advertisements

This was planed in 2011, they should STILL do this project to improve downtown. Evans st looks like crap

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1504580687
Attached Thumbnails
Greenville Area Developments-rsz_evans-pic-11.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 09:26 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
http://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=10473

The above link is for the map of the GREAT bus and it’s respective coverage; does this service need expansion? Is it appropriate to not have Sunday service offered? Lastly, would “Park and Ride” lots work throughout the city?

Old 09-05-2017, 06:57 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post

The above link is for the map of the GREAT bus and it’s respective coverage; does this service need expansion? Is it appropriate to not have Sunday service offered? Lastly, would “Park and Ride” lots work throughout the city?
After looking at this map, it does seem that there are some gaps in coverage. I mean there isn't even service on the Firetower Rd. corridor. I guess a park & ride could work for something like the industrial park.

-----------

Ayden food center moves on to next step.

Proposed food center moves to next phase - Daily Reflector

Quote:
A committee created to begin the process of establishing a food processing facility that could create jobs and boost the regional economy has completed documentation need to secure grant funding and is ready to move to the next phase of the project.

The town of Ayden is spearheading the development of a 24,000-square-foot regional facility to provide space for processing and packaging food products such as pickles and sauces. It would also serve as a distribution hub for produce grown by farmers in Pitt and surrounding counties to be collected and packaged. The center would also be a place where food businesses could come for advice and assistance.
The Eastern North Carolina Food Commercialization Center planning committee met Aug. 25 to discuss handing the reigns over to a project manager and an expanded board of directors to secure the matching funds needed to apply for the grant.

The town plans to apply for a grant from the U.S. Economic Development Administration or EDA to help pay for at least half the construction of the proposed food center. The full scope of the project has been estimated to cost $5.8 million. However, organizers are now looking at ways to reduce cost.

The committee’s final act will be to have Ayden Manager Steve Harrell present an executive summary of the planning process and future recommendations at the Sept. 11 Ayden Board of Commissioners meeting.
Early in the planning process, a four-member board of directors was formed to establish the Eastern North Carolina Food Commercialization Center nonprofit organization, which will operate the facility.
That board will be enlarged to include regional representatives, Harrell said, adding that the next step is to hire a project manager.

“While all of us are champions of this project, it’s critical that we have a specific champion to help lead us in the right direction. As critical as it is to find the next group to take the torch and move forward, it is also important to find someone to help lead this effort,” he said.

Keith Purvis, the president of Greenville Produce Co., is willing to take on the role.
Purvis is the president of the wholesale distributor of vegetables to restaurants, stores, schools and prisons in eastern North Carolina and has served as a volunteer consultant during the planning phase.
“I would definitely welcome the opportunity to take the lead on this deal and to make sure we see it through to completion, not just secure the funding but also the construction and implementation of the whole deal,” Purvis said at Friday’s meeting.

John Chaffee, the president of the Greenville-based NCEast Alliance private economic development organization, as well as Brad Hufford of the Pitt County Development Commission, attended the meeting from Greenville via telephone.
The board of directors should include representatives of key sectors of food production and processing, Chaffee said.

“Like a farmer or somebody involved in manufacturing, involve people that can bring that kind of expertise and their networks to the board and to the project,” he added.

Ayden Mayor Steve Tripp recommended the board of directors include more than one Ayden representative, so the town did not lose control of the project it had worked so hard to see to its completion.

The EDA grant requires the town provide 50 percent in match funds or $2.8 million.
Securing the match is the next step in the grant application process.

To put the matching funds within closer reach, Harrell suggested construction of a metal building rather than cinder block and holding off on refrigeration to bring the cost under $3 million.
“That puts our match at $600,000,” he said.
Raising $600,000 to $800,000 could be accomplished through partnerships between the town of Ayden, Pitt and other counties as well as some private funding.

The idea is to get the building completed and begin using at least a portion of it to generate revenue, Harrell said, adding that a visible building would be advantageous when seeking additional funding.
“I think the sales pitch becomes a lot easier when you have something to show. It’s easier to grasp something tangible than an idea,” Purvis said.

Harrell added, “From the business side, it strategically allows us to get some components of the business effectively (in place), to generate cash flow, then add on. It would almost be phases.”

The EDA wants a building that can be used, “not something that’s going to sit there for a couple years,” according to Kevin Richards, the planning director for the Mid East Commission.

“I’m thinking if we can get the building up, we can go ahead and do the food hub, and we can start with the training that ECU and NCSU is going to add. That way we’re showing EDA we actually have a usable regional building. Then we can start looking to get the refrigeration and the anchor tenant that we’re looking for,” Harrell said.

Tripp added, “We have to put a flag in the ground. … I think the town of Ayden and Pitt County government are going to have to invest in this building, to be the ones to come up with the initial funds to put this investment down.”

Tripp urged those involved to keep the momentum of the project going.
“Sometimes we have a tendency to kick the can down the road and give it another layer of bureaucracy,” he said.

Richards said, “In order to submit the grant, we are going to have to have the match money. We’re also going to need a building estimate and scope of work from some kind of architect or engineer.”

Richards also reminded the board that although the town might be eligible for 80 percent funding rather than 50 percent, due to Hurricane Matthew, it was possible the EDA would only fund 50 percent.
“I think the key to this next round is to put the right people in the right places. We know what we need to do — get that match funding,” Richards said.

The town plans to seek a cost estimate for construction of a metal building, which it hopes to have constructed by next summer.

“It’s not only about Ayden, but it’s also about the region,” Tripp said. “It’s about helping agriculture. It’s about helping, creating jobs, where jobs are needed. It’s going to bring something to the east that is very valuable. It’s going to be a very beneficial project for eastern North Carolina.”

Old 09-05-2017, 08:35 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I was down there on Saturday (game day) and that lot was FULL from morning until the game started. It was a Saturday, so offices were closed, and the library was closed for the holiday weekend. So the cars were not for any of those.

When people actually do want to go downtown and patronize businesses where do you expect them to park?
I said to add a another deck...just put it off of Reade Circle where the 4 lane road is.

Surface parking is a waste of valuable space in a downtown...and a park is an invaluable asset. There is a deck a half block away now.

As for why it was full Sat, it is because of the shuttle service that is trying to get people to use downtown more during gamedays. Would be even better if you had a deck with 4-5 levels to fill up.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:32 AM

112 posts, read 136,339 times
A follow up piece by The East Carolinian in reference to their article about GFR last week. I'm not sure what everyone else thinks, but I am beyond shocked the city and department have said NOTHING as some pretty serious allegations were thrown at them. It seems very shady on the city's part. Their silence is speaking volumes.

Community deserves substantial statements from officials | Opinion | theeastcarolinian.com

Old 09-05-2017, 11:58 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty Drummer View Post
A follow up piece by The East Carolinian in reference to their article about GFR last week. I'm not sure what everyone else thinks, but I am beyond shocked the city and department have said NOTHING as some pretty serious allegations were thrown at them. It seems very shady on the city's part. Their silence is speaking volumes.

Community deserves substantial statements from officials | Opinion | theeastcarolinian.com
What I find interesting is that none of the other local media outlets have made any mention of this. Normally, accusations like this would've gotten legs by now...

Old 09-05-2017, 12:14 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
This was planed in 2011, they should STILL do this project to improve downtown. Evans st looks like crap

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1504580687
Yes it does. My understanding was that the City put that project on hold because of the Boundary project, which covered an entire block on one side. Originally it called for Evans to get a road diet that has been reconsidered now for that stretch because of the parking deck at the Boundary. If I recall correctly I believe the idea was to wait until the 10th St Connector project was complete and then revisit that stretch, and ECU is also covering one block on the East side between 10th and 9th with its Business Bldg/Parking Deck....so maybe it was a good idea to wait on the streetscape. I would argue that the project needs to be extended to 14th St anyway.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:12 PM

378 posts, read 419,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Yes it does. My understanding was that the City put that project on hold because of the Boundary project, which covered an entire block on one side. Originally it called for Evans to get a road diet that has been reconsidered now for that stretch because of the parking deck at the Boundary. If I recall correctly I believe the idea was to wait until the 10th St Connector project was complete and then revisit that stretch, and ECU is also covering one block on the East side between 10th and 9th with its Business Bldg/Parking Deck....so maybe it was a good idea to wait on the streetscape. I would argue that the project needs to be extended to 14th St anyway.
And I think they are gonna work on demolishing the buildings west of Evans and put some more buildings similar to the Boundary, and then work on adding medians and redoing the markings on Evans. That's my plan, and they can do it to Contache and Reade also!

They should work on doing some streetscape on Dickinson as well. It looks crappy as hell.

And even throw some colorful lighting under the bridges of Pitt and Greene so this can be a fun town to be in!!

Old 09-05-2017, 01:42 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
And I think they are gonna work on demolishing the buildings west of Evans and put some more buildings similar to the Boundary, and then work on adding medians and redoing the markings on Evans. That's my plan, and they can do it to Contache and Reade also!

They should work on doing some streetscape on Dickinson as well. It looks crappy as hell.

And even throw some colorful lighting under the bridges of Pitt and Greene so this can be a fun town to be in!!
In regards to Dickinson, if I’m not mistaken, the city has a plan for its beautification especially since ECU wants their “Milennium Campus” in that area. Regarding adding colorful lights to the bridges, would you be able to list an example of how you think it could look?

Old 09-05-2017, 01:44 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post

I've said this before and it's politically incorrect but only poor people ride the bus in Greenville. Nobody in their right mind with a running car would ride it.

But that said I don't understand the lack of Sunday bus service. Those folks want to get around then too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina