Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 10:23 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times

Advertisements

I'm usually would be against leaving out an undefeated team from a major conference. Especially one that is the defensing national champ. But man, how many ugly or close wins can FSU have?

Look at it this way, teams 1-5 all played this last weekend. All of them blew out there opponents except for the #4 team FSU. Seems like it would make sense that OSU the #5 team should leap from #4 FSU.

Final should be:

1. Bama
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. Ohio State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 10:29 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
Ohio State doesn't deserve the 4th slot. Look at how they pounded Wisconsin tonight with a 3rd string QB. The Big Ten sucked this year. I can't believe Urban Meyer called Wisconsin one of the best teams in America.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:36 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
Wisconsin threw that game. OSU is definitely better than the Badgers, but not 59-0 better. That was complete B.S. A QB with fewer than 20 snaps in his WHOLE CAREER, comes out and plays like an experienced 5th year senior. I'm OK with FSU, Oregon and Alabama. TCU/Baylor can go either way, but OSU should not get in simply because of the B10 Title Game.

Curious why ESPN is hyping OSU so much tonight.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:36 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
The Big 12 needs to have a title game. These 14 team conference are too big, the NCAA should have mandated that a conference cannot exceed 12 teams.

Colorado, come back to the Big 12. Boise State, move to the Pac 12. SMU, move into the Big 12.

There's no way a 13-0 Florida State team does not get in. Clear cut ACC champions.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:39 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
The playoffs should include 8 teams, and every P5 conference champion should be represented. And yes the Big 12 should add two schools to hold a championship game.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:43 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
The playoff should be 12-teams.

All 10 conference champions seeded by rank (doesn't matter who "ranks" them) and two at-large teams. The at-large squads would be the highest ranked teams not to win their conference.

The four highest ranked teams among the conference champs would receive a 1st round bye; similar to the NFL playoffs. All conference champs, not just the power 5. The regular season is important, because you need to win your conference but it encourages teams to schedule a tough OOC slate, in case you don't win your conference.

Every team should have a CHANCE to win the national title. Right now, only 1/2 of college football (the "Power 5") has even a chance and only a fraction of those have a realistic chance. The little guys should at least be guaranteed a shot, win or lose.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:46 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I'm usually would be against leaving out an undefeated team from a major conference. Especially one that is the defensing national champ. But man, how many ugly or close wins can FSU have?

Look at it this way, teams 1-5 all played this last weekend. All of them blew out there opponents except for the #4 team FSU. Seems like it would make sense that OSU the #5 team should leap from #4 FSU.

Final should be:

1. Bama
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. Ohio State
If anyone needs to go its TCU. They have only beat 2 currently ranked teams (Oklahoma and Kansas St). FSU has beaten currently ranked Clemson (w/o Winston) and Louisville plus ranked GT tonite. Also one of TCU's ranked wins, Oklahoma got beat by Oklahoma St. today which FSU went on the road and beat.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:06 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakehighlands View Post
TCU just fell out of the top 4. Enjoy the 6th spot.
As much as I hate to say it, you're more than likely right.

Once again, TCU plays their best football... and may not even get a chance to play for a title.

Great.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:21 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,990 times
The committee should have established that at any point during the season a team gives up 50 or more points in a loss they will be inelible for playoff consideration. IMO there is something fundamentally wrong with allowing a team that gave up 61 points to play for a NC.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:34 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
1) The ACC is basically a division 2 conference at this point. Not only would Alabama or Oregon be 8-0 against those chump, cupcake teams, Alabama & Oregon would win all 8 games by double figures, most of them by 25 or 30 points. Of the 9 ACC games FSU played (8 regular season and the conference title game) they did win 5 by double figures, but they only once by more than 18 points, so even the double figure wins would close. If the committee really insists "the only thing that matters is this season" then you absolutely CANNOT have Florida State in there!
2) Baylor beat TCU on the field. They played 9 combined opponents (the other 8 Big 12 schools and both played SMU out of conference). They are 8-1 in those 8 games with Baylor losing to WVU with TCU beating them. When you play the same schedule minus 2 different opponents, you have to give the edge to the team with the head-to-head record. Personally, I'd rather see both teams in ahead of Florida State (the Big 12 is better than the All Crap Conference and both Baylor and TCU had better showings, hell I'd have Kansas State in before Florida State), but likely both teams get left out
3) As for Ohio State, that was a complete ash kicking they laid on a top 20 opponent! Sure Wiscy may have given up after halftime, but when your on the outside looking in, you can't let up. Even though I said I wouldn't take a 1 loss Ohio State, down the stretch they have played better than Florida State has, and I would take OSU over FSU.

We'll see how much the committee insists "the only thing that matters is this year" since that's what they've been preaching all year. There is no justifiable way to put Florida State in the playoff while leaving TCU/Baylor/OSU out, if Florida State makes it, and TCU doesn't per say that'll be a bigger farce than anything we had with the BCS.

Here's how I would rank them:
1) Alabama
2) Oregon
3) Ohio State
4) Baylor
5) TCU
6) Florida State
Oregon and Alabama are clearly the 2 best teams, there's no doubt there. I bumped OSU from 5 to 3 with the pounding of the Badgers , and I put Baylor as the last team due to the 61-58 win they had over TCU.

Here's how I think the idiotic committee will rank them:
1) Alabama
2) Oregon
3) TCU
4) Florida State
Once again, no doubt about the Oregon/Alabama 1/2. Still think TCU will remain #3, even though some voters will put Baylor ahead of them, and the committee will completely wuss out on the "the only thing that matters is this year" crap they've been pulling over our eyes since October and make up some excuse like "Florida State is undefeated, we CAN'T leave them out" or "Ohio State is playing with the 3rd string QB so we don't think they'll be competitive." Hopefully I'm complete wrong, but I'm not going to be holding my breath!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football