Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 10:55 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,265,296 times

Advertisements

Why all the complaining here. What teams do you feel they got wrong this week...or last week? I don't agree with the Order of the top 4 but who cares, they will play eachother and someone will win 2 games and thats that. Seriously, if Alabama, Oregon, FL St and Miss St don't belong in the top 4, then I don't know what planet you are all on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 10:58 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,265,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
Totally agree! The only question is who plays who??? Having #1 play #4 is stupid. Regarding the decisions coming from the "committee," the PlayOff committee seems more like a PAYOff committee--at least that's the way it looks to me......just saying'.....

Disclaimer: NOLES' fan here! Undefeated is undefeated and a win is a win. So when did teams have to start playing "pretty?!?!" Ridiculous.....
In College football, winning pretty is extremely important except in one game and one game only: You can win the Natty by the score of 3 to 2 and thats as good as winning by 50, but until then you are judged on every single game you play, so you better make it pretty.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:36 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
It's going to be interesting to see how things unfold should the undefeated and 1 loss teams win out. I think only 1 SEC gets in and deserves to get in. It will probably be either Bama or Miss State. It will be interesting to see what happens if Missouri were to win the SEC Title game. They have an awful loss to Indiana on their record this year.

I wonder if not having a title game will hurt the Big 12 teams - Ohio State could really polish their resume if they win the Big Ten after beating a ranked team in the title game. But they also have a bad home loss to Virginia Tech.

My Picks:

Florida State
Oregon
Alabama
Ohio State

Old 11-24-2014, 11:14 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
8 team playoff.

- 5 spots go to the Power 5 conf champs. Win your conference and you're in.
- 3 wild cards. Either by the old BCS rankings or by committee. (Alternative: highest ranked mid-major plus two wild-cards.)
- BCS rankings or committee handles seeding the 8 teams.

Done.
I don't agree with the conference champs getting automatic slots. There are just way too many conference champs that have been ranked below the Top 8 in the past couple of decades. There have been conference champs not even ranked in the Top 20 and conference champs aren't even necessarily the highest ranked teams in a conference.

With split divisions that are unbalanced, you can have a conference champ with a 7-5 or 8-4 record win a weak division and then pull off a flukey win against a superior team. It could happen in the SEC this year where the 5th or 6th best team in the SEC wins the SEC championship game. Or just have a very weak year for the teams at the top of the conference.

I think a 8 game playoff should just be the top 8 teams, regardless of conference championships so convoluted championship scheme has no role on who gets in. If there was an exception it would be the highest group of 5 teams if they have someone ranked in the top 15, since they have difficulty scheduling top teams without having to give up a home game.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:06 PM

328 posts, read 434,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
It's going to be interesting to see how things unfold should the undefeated and 1 loss teams win out. I think only 1 SEC gets in and deserves to get in. It will probably be either Bama or Miss State. It will be interesting to see what happens if Missouri were to win the SEC Title game. They have an awful loss to Indiana on their record this year.

I wonder if not having a title game will hurt the Big 12 teams - Ohio State could really polish their resume if they win the Big Ten after beating a ranked team in the title game. But they also have a bad home loss to Virginia Tech.

My Picks:

Florida State
Oregon
Alabama
Ohio State

Ohio States loss came only because one of the best QBS in the nation was hurt and not playing and they had to toss in a freshman QB with no experience at all.

Va Teach would get blowed away at this point of the season by Ohio St.

Early losses are often forgotten by most, but those Ohio St haters wont think of this.

If Ohio St. wins out and are the B10 champs no way do you leave them out.

Criteria will come into play and I think one loss to a team early on with a brand new freshman QB is better then playing 4 sub par teams and about losing to them all and with only luck on their side. Fla St should be a 3 or 4 loss team right now. And I believe they might just lose one of their remaining games so then no more Fla St discussion.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:42 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
As much as I hate having 2 teams from the same conference in the playoffs if push came to shove I would take a Miss State team that didn't even make it to it's conference championship game, much less won it's conference over an Ohio State team that won the Big 10. My reasoning?? That home loss to Virginia Tech who at best will finish 6-6. That loss stands out like a sore thumb. Yah, I know it was in week 2, and the team is completely different now vs. then, JT Barrett is more polished now then he was then, if they play them this week instead of then OSU probably wins by 20+, but there's no defending that loss. I could potentially defend it if it was on road (like AZ State losing @ Oregon State) but losing at home is indefensible. MSU played Alabama on the road and lost by less than a TD. That's why I take Miss state, should they beat Ole Miss over Ohio State.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:03 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
I personally think Ohio State would deserve a playoff spot over Miss State should OSU win the Big Ten and Miss State did not win the SEC. Let me ask this - since you think Ohio State's home loss to V Tech is so bad, what would you say if Missouri were to win the SEC by beating either Bama or Miss State? Would they deserve a playoff spot? Missouri lost, at home, to an awful Indiana team that at best will end up finishing their season 4-8. So if Ohio State does not deserve a playoff spot, how the heck would Missouri? (assuming of course you think they would deserve one if they were to win the SEC)

Old 11-26-2014, 04:11 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
If MSU loses to Ole Miss & Mizzou wins the SEC I'd go with Ohio State in that scenario. I'm just saying if the top 6 remain undefeated the next 2 weeks (which would mean Oregon beating #8 UCLA; TCU beating #7 Baylor and MSU beating Ole Miss but not winning the division) I'd leave it at those 4. Yes, it sucks that the Big 10 champion is going to be left out, but that's what happens when you only have 4 spots and why it should be 8; a conference winner of a power 5 conference is going to be on the outside looking in, and the Buckeyes put themselves behind the 8 ball by losing at home to a 5-6 team. Just like TCU has nobody to blame but themselves for losing a game they scored 58 points in, and that's supposed to be a defensive-oriented team first!

Old 11-27-2014, 12:31 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
I don't agree with the conference champs getting automatic slots. There are just way too many conference champs that have been ranked below the Top 8 in the past couple of decades.
...huh?

Old 11-29-2014, 05:57 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
As a few others have said, no automatics for a conference champion. I would rather have a 11-1 2nd place power 5 team than a 7-5 conference champ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football