Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 10:35 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, but you are just digging yourself into a deeper mudhole with continuing to blame the victim, AND indirectly blaming UT via ESPN just like some of the posters were.

Maybe this Houston Chronicle opinion piece will give the Baylor deniers a look at it more concisely:

Briles, Baylor heap shame on themselves - Houston Chronicle

I think there are a considerable number of influential Baylor Alums who are going to put a lot of pressure on cleaning house. The way the athletic department & administration has tried to obfuscate these scandals for years is a terrible stain on the school whether they want to admit it or not. And the BOR seems to be dragging its feet, much to their detriment.
I also think a number of the victims need some kind of closure on their poor treatment. They have my sympathy.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:20 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,932 times
Yeah, well, you know, thats just like, your opinion, man..

All I'm saying is if you go home with someone from a bar at 2 am, you generally know what you're getting yourself into. Maybe this woman was naive, or maybe she changed her mind later. Either way, its a real shame it happened. How is mentioning that ESPN has millions invested in UT "indirectly blaming UT"..? If ESPN was invested in Baylor like they are in UT this probably wouldn't be dragged out as hard by them. Nothing to do with blaming UT. Just pointing out that ESPN has something to gain with all of these hit pieces..

Im not sure what is so concise about that Chronicle article..? Unsubstantiated claims made against Briles/the athletic program with no proof don't come across as anything very concise. The most recent ESPN story didn't reveal any new evidence. Im not even sure why it was considered news worthy. I guess every time there is a verbal accusation someone should be fired or expelled without any due process.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:40 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Yeah, well, you know, thats just like, your opinion, man..

All I'm saying is if you go home with someone from a bar at 2 am, you generally know what you're getting yourself into. Maybe this woman was naive, or maybe she changed her mind later. Either way, its a real shame it happened. How is mentioning that ESPN has millions invested in UT "indirectly blaming UT"..? If ESPN was invested in Baylor like they are in UT this probably wouldn't be dragged out as hard by them. Nothing to do with blaming UT. Just pointing out that ESPN has something to gain with all of these hit pieces..

Im not sure what is so concise about that Chronicle article..? Unsubstantiated claims made against Briles/the athletic program with no proof don't come across as anything very concise. The most recent ESPN story didn't reveal any new evidence. Im not even sure why it was considered news worthy. I guess every time there is a verbal accusation someone should be fired or expelled without any due process.
That is totally irrelevant and pretty much demonstrates a lack of empathy on your part. If a crime was committed that's all that matters. If she said "no" and Oakman continued it is still a crime under the law, whether her clothes were on or she was buck-naked.

Here in this country we operate under law, not opinions of what people should or shouldn't be guilty of by getting themselves in a bad situation.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:54 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,386,286 times
Sources: BU Regents Preparing To Oust Starr - Texas - Scout

Starr needs to go.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:59 AM

There's something in the water up there besides mud:

Quote:
Is ESPN / LHN trying to free up Briles to replace Strong soon?
Zero chance Briles goes anywhere but maybe this is their trial balloon.

Anyone here believe if for some bizarre reason what the rivals who admittedly don't hate us, uh huh, wet dream about came true, that Texas wouldn't hire him and ESPN would say nothing about it and would cover for Texas and the winning Briles would bring to them after a near decade of futility?

http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=306751

To other posters' credit, that idiot got a few knocks for his stupidity.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
Just saw this interesting comment:

Quote:
Starr has a thick playbook on the strategic use of press leaks. He regularly leaked juicy details from the Lewinsky investigation to the press just to keep himself in the news and to do as much PR damage to Clinton as possible.

Just a hypothesis: Maybe they're leaking the "Starr fired... no wait, Starr only reassigned and Briles stays" story to judge the public reaction. If the backlash from this initial leak is negative enough, maybe they keep floating more sacrificial lambs until the PR damage is deemed acceptable. They're not going to let Briles go unless they're convinced they have to.

Wouldn't put it past any school that is all about the money and not the victims. I wonder if the alums are going to stand for this half-baked measure? There are three other conspirators/enablers that need to be fired.
Then the Texas Rangers needs to investigate the Waco PD & DA's office. Wonder if Company F is looking into the obstruction/hiding of evidence?

Old 05-24-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
That is totally irrelevant and pretty much demonstrates a lack of empathy on your part. If a crime was committed that's all that matters. If she said "no" and Oakman continued it is still a crime under the law, whether her clothes were on or she was buck-naked.

Here in this country we operate under law, not opinions of what people should or shouldn't be guilty of by getting themselves in a bad situation.
I like how you didn't include the sentence right after the bolded part, where I showed empathy for the victim.. typical.

Exactly.. we operate under law, not opinions. Hence, Briles is in the clear..

Old 05-24-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
According to that article, Starr was fired today. I cant say that I'm sad. Not only did he handle all of this terribly, but I never cared for him after trying to bring down Clinton.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:59 PM

The BOR fired the guy farthest from the scandal. Yes, he was the head guy, but Briles, the AD, and the Title IX compliance officer were on the front line of the do nothings.
All they are doing by dumping Starr & making him the fall guy is testing the reactions, then delaying any official statements until a June 3rd Friday news dump - when school is out and families are embarking on their vacations. The last thing they want to do is fire the guy who was most directly responsible for the inaction dealing with the criminals.

In today's statement they mentioned doing "what is best for the university". No mention of the 15 rape/assault victims.

The Baylor BOR is as tone deaf as Briles.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:47 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,386,286 times
Here's a statement from Baylor on the reports of Ken Starr being fired: https://twitter.com/Mark_Schlabach/s...74012997926913
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football