Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 01:00 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
Au contraie mon frere....I emailed my professor this am with the request and his reply was "Ok. Did you ask me this sooner?, Mr.XXX.

I don't think he really cares.

Yeah, good luck. Be careful what you wish for.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:15 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
OP, you sound like you'd be fun at parties. LOL

Seriously though, just ask. The worst that can happen is that the professor thinks you are a bit of an odd duck, rolls their eyes and says no. But really, more than likely they will do it. If not they will politely decline and you will have to deal with the indignity for a few weeks. Either way you won't die. The stakes are pretty low here.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:22 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,091 times
I'm black and I don't mind my professors calling me by my first name. To each his own. I teach college courses and call my students by their first names.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:27 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times
Can you go up to the Profs after the first day of class and introduce yourself, saying "Hello Professor X, I am Mr. X" and see if they get the hint? But I don't know any teams IRL workplace, where the leader/mgr. refers to team members as Mr/Mrs.. Will this also be an issue for you OP?

Old 11-04-2013, 03:01 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,765,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It is only a FERPA issue for people who don't understand FERPA because it is not a FERPA violation. Directory information is not FERPA protected unless the students decides to opt out. "Opt in" is the default setting and does not require anyone's permission or a form. If your institution requires people to "opt in" it is doing it backwards and contrary to the regulation. In addition, CFR 99.37c specifically states that a student's identity is not protected in the classroom setting.
That is not the interpretation we have had in our state.
The roster I received at the start of class specifies which students I can and cannot disclose to the rest of class. Only about 1 in 5 do not opt in for disclosure of their enrollment in class.

Here is an example from another university in our state:
http://etatmo.missouri.edu/toolbox/d...paconcerns.php
"Additionally, students who have selected to have their directory information (information that the University can normally release) restricted may ask to their name withheld from other members of the course. Legally and ethically, such requests must be taken seriously and honored. (While some complain that registration forms make it too easy to restrict this information without understanding the implications, there are instances of MU students who have had their information restricted due to harassment and/or stalking - including online stalking.)"

Old 11-04-2013, 03:04 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
You have an unsubstantiated sense of grandeur, and a chip on your shoulder.

You must be fun at parties and to have as a neighbor.

You bring race and veteran status into this; has to be the first time I have ever heard race and veteran status being used as a reason not to be called by your first name.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:25 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I don't see the big deal. When I take attendance the first day of class, I always ask my students what they prefer to be called. I've never had a student ask to be addressed by the last name, but I would do it if asked. I'm sure the OP is aware that it comes off as pretentious to others and obviously doesn't seem to mind. To each their own.
I don't see how wanting to be called Mr. Smith is any different than Augustine Josephina being asked to be called AJ in class. Or Jonathon wanting to be called Jon. Or Robert wanting to be called Bob. It is their preference.

I have been a Ms. as long as anyone ever used the term Ms. (40 some years). If I want to be called Ms. Last Name why should I have to fight for it just because some people think that a married woman has to be called Mrs. (BTW, even though I have been married 36 years I have my birth name not my husband's last name so Mrs. is never correct).

More power to you Mr. Datafeed.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:40 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
The roster I received at the start of class specifies which students I can and cannot disclose to the rest of class. Only about 1 in 5 do not opt in for disclosure of their enrollment in class.

FERPA Considerations in Blackboard
"Additionally, students who have selected to have their directory information (information that the University can normally release) restricted may ask to their name withheld from other members of the course. Legally and ethically, such requests must be taken seriously and honored. (While some complain that registration forms make it too easy to restrict this information without understanding the implications, there are instances of MU students who have had their information restricted due to harassment and/or stalking - including online stalking.)"
so are you saying you can't legally take attendance in your class because it is a Ferpa violation?

To OP, how will you choose to have this handled at work? Will you ask your boss to refer to you as Mr. Datafeed?

Old 11-04-2013, 03:54 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post

FERPA Considerations in Blackboard

Unfortunate since it is directly contrary to published guidelines.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:55 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,989,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You have an unsubstantiated sense of grandeur, and a chip on your shoulder.

You must be fun at parties and to have as a neighbor.

You bring race and veteran status into this; has to be the first time I have ever heard race and veteran status being used as a reason not to be called by your first name.
I am not black...I am white....I was not a Naval officer....I was just an E-4...but the Sr. O's in the Navy address the Junior O's as Mr. and the Junior as Sir or by their rank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities