Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 04:19 PM

20,372 posts, read 14,647,504 times

Advertisements

Yeah, that crime map is good stuff. I've pretty much decided to try for either Pleasant Valley (near Garden of the Gods) or Rockrimmon (near Ute Valley Park.) All west side. But I'm all about Orchestra in middle schools, so my choices were limited.

Regarding the trip, we came here from Iowa in December of 2007, the drive we had was brutal. We came via your "middle" route, through WY, Salt Lake City, Boise, through the mountains in OR. First of all, Wyoming in the winter can be INSANE. We hit what they call a "ground blizzard" which meant the wind was blasting dry snow off the ground and into the air, and I really wasn't sure we were on the highway half the time, could not see the road at all (which was also covered with snow and ice, I could feel it under the tires even if I couldn't see it.) We limped into Rawlins and begged our way into a room in a packed hotel just as they closed the highway right behind us. Semi's pulled off and jack-knifed all over. The weather report did not say "snow" because it wasn't snowing! It was "just" windy! I was TERRIFIED. Then there were those lovely Oregon mountains, with packed snow and ice on em. Chain laws were in effect but we didn't have any...so I downshifted and crept my way along, hoping not to slide out of control down the mountain at any minute. But at least it was clear and I could see the danger. I would say all of your potential routes hold danger, keep your plans open till the last minute, then check the weather & roads online and pick whichever one is in the best shape at that point.

While I'm capable of driving on wintry roads, I hate it. I can't even watch Ice Road Truckers without feeling like I'm getting an ulcer. Know what I'm going to do? I'm taking 5 to Corvalis, then hopping over to 101 for the scenic Oregon coastline. Planning a stop in Arcata, CA, see some redwoods and then south to Novato/Vallejo CA to bounce back over to 5. I-5 through the wine country, all the way down by LA, then up around to 40 heading East, a stop to see the Grand Canyon if we have time/feel like it, and on up 25 to CoS. Yeah, it's seriously further to drive, but I'm trying to make a fun adventure out of it instead of a necessary hardship, and I don't want to leave the Northwest without seeing the Oregon coast (better than WA coast, which sucked) and the redwoods. I figure if we see no major delays, 3 nights in hotels and 4 days of driving will do it. And wouldn't you know it? The Army recoups us 4 days for a trip from WA to CO. Perfect.

I am aware that I'll still have to deal with the Raton Pass on 25 coming north...but I don't know as it's as bad as crossing the main body of the Rockies via any of the main routes from the West Coast. I don't think so.

If you go by your "middle" route, consider the Best Western Northwest Lodge in Boise, I found it to be very nice. I stay in lots of hotels, that one was one of my favorites. And just make sure you carry chains and watch the weather & DOT reports online as you go, so you know what to expect...'course living this close to these mountains I bet you know this stuff. But the high plains will get ya too. I could go the rest of my life and never set foot in Wyoming again, and I'd be thrilled.

Speaking of which, I hope CoS interior doesn't get insane wind storms like that? I've read all about the snow, the lightening, the lack of humidity...what about wind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 07:32 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,467,993 times
While we are not WY, we do have a far amount of wind here. If fact we are going to get some tonight: 15 to 30 mph with gusts to around 55 mph after midnight.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:36 AM

9 posts, read 15,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Yeah, that crime map is good stuff. I've pretty much decided to try for either Pleasant Valley (near Garden of the Gods) or Rockrimmon (near Ute Valley Park.) All west side. But I'm all about Orchestra in middle schools, so my choices were limited.

Regarding the trip, we came here from Iowa in December of 2007, the drive we had was brutal. We came via your "middle" route, through WY, Salt Lake City, Boise, through the mountains in OR. First of all, Wyoming in the winter can be INSANE. We hit what they call a "ground blizzard" which meant the wind was blasting dry snow off the ground and into the air, and I really wasn't sure we were on the highway half the time, could not see the road at all (which was also covered with snow and ice, I could feel it under the tires even if I couldn't see it.) We limped into Rawlins and begged our way into a room in a packed hotel just as they closed the highway right behind us. Semi's pulled off and jack-knifed all over. The weather report did not say "snow" because it wasn't snowing! It was "just" windy! I was TERRIFIED. Then there were those lovely Oregon mountains, with packed snow and ice on em. Chain laws were in effect but we didn't have any...so I downshifted and crept my way along, hoping not to slide out of control down the mountain at any minute. But at least it was clear and I could see the danger. I would say all of your potential routes hold danger, keep your plans open till the last minute, then check the weather & roads online and pick whichever one is in the best shape at that point.

While I'm capable of driving on wintry roads, I hate it. I can't even watch Ice Road Truckers without feeling like I'm getting an ulcer. Know what I'm going to do? I'm taking 5 to Corvalis, then hopping over to 101 for the scenic Oregon coastline. Planning a stop in Arcata, CA, see some redwoods and then south to Novato/Vallejo CA to bounce back over to 5. I-5 through the wine country, all the way down by LA, then up around to 40 heading East, a stop to see the Grand Canyon if we have time/feel like it, and on up 25 to CoS. Yeah, it's seriously further to drive, but I'm trying to make a fun adventure out of it instead of a necessary hardship, and I don't want to leave the Northwest without seeing the Oregon coast (better than WA coast, which sucked) and the redwoods. I figure if we see no major delays, 3 nights in hotels and 4 days of driving will do it. And wouldn't you know it? The Army recoups us 4 days for a trip from WA to CO. Perfect.

I am aware that I'll still have to deal with the Raton Pass on 25 coming north...but I don't know as it's as bad as crossing the main body of the Rockies via any of the main routes from the West Coast. I don't think so.

If you go by your "middle" route, consider the Best Western Northwest Lodge in Boise, I found it to be very nice. I stay in lots of hotels, that one was one of my favorites. And just make sure you carry chains and watch the weather & DOT reports online as you go, so you know what to expect...'course living this close to these mountains I bet you know this stuff. But the high plains will get ya too. I could go the rest of my life and never set foot in Wyoming again, and I'd be thrilled.

Speaking of which, I hope CoS interior doesn't get insane wind storms like that? I've read all about the snow, the lightening, the lack of humidity...what about wind?
Ah see, my husband was under the impression they would not comp us for going the safe route (] suggested what you outlined) because they only comp for the shortest most direct route. With the weather, going south may be shorter time-wise and much easier on at least my peace of mine.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecicada View Post
Ah see, my husband was under the impression they would not comp us for going the safe route (] suggested what you outlined) because they only comp for the shortest most direct route. With the weather, going south may be shorter time-wise and much easier on at least my peace of mine.
OK to be fair, they will only give .235/mile for the mileage that they have on their chart, which is definitely going to be the "short" route (1429 miles.) However. They have a flat number of days (4) that they allow for this trip, regardless of your route, and so long as you don't check in early or whatever, you'll get your per diem (lodging/food/etc) allowance for those 4 days--it's up to you whether they are long days of safer route driving, or fewer miles per day over mountains/through snow. I tried to plan how much money we were looking at using the internet, prior to our move, and it was a nightmare. In the end, the finance brief we went to was where the questions got answered (you can go with him to the briefs if you want.) They have changed how they do the per diem, so you don't have to submit hotel receipts anymore, they just give a flat amount per family member per day. Soldier=$123/day Adult dependent=$92.25/day Kid under 12=$61.50/day. All must be in DEERS to qualify. You may also get DLA, which varies based on rank and you can look that up online, it's not hard to find (it's a nice chunk of $$.) And if you're doing the DITY thing, there is more money involved with that since the Army's not moving your stuff, but I'm not sure how it works with someone else hauling, also they call that a "PPM" now instead of DITY ("personally procured move"). Gotta love the stupid acronyms. Anyhow, you can get DLA advanced in full prior to your move, and 80% of anticipated per diem and mileage $$ also, they go over that in the finance brief. Changing your route may cost YOU a bit more, but it won't disqualify you from receiving what you're due from the military, or change the amounts.

Mike & others: I considered taking this to a private message sorta reply since it may not be relevant to many in or moving to CoS--however, much of this info is very surprisingly hard to get a firm answer on going through military online channels (worse than reading IRS publications, I swear.) It may be helpful, actually, to a fair number of military folks moving to the area...and moving in general. If you think it appropriate to rename or move the thread, that's cool, but I think it should be a public answer if that's OK with you...? I would have killed for this info a month ago before my finance brief. Also this info isn't any kind of a secret, it's just buried in the JFTR under a million pages of military jargon and obscure blahblahblah, as we all know the gov't/military just loves to do.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:15 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,027,375 times
Sonic, it is fine here in the public forum. We get a lot of soldiers and air force folks moving in/out of the area who can use such info.

Now for an old "war story" from my days as an Army civilian in the business of transportation and its underlying automated systems.

Back in the late 1990's I chaired the implementation team that did acceptance testing for the mileage calculator module of the Defense Travel System. Hell, I've since forgotten the name of that module, but it was a superb piece of work by folks out of Princeton who played in the transport business. Not sure they even call it the DTS these days. I do know that until then the TDY and PCS process was PAPER based and relied on a sea of clerks in the Finance Center at Fort Benjamin Harrison in Indianapolis. Once the DTS got fully fielded most of those clerks ended up RIF'd or retired. There were hundreds of them. It should have fully automated at least 15 years before then, but the way that DOD is stove-piped meant that no one had the end to end responsibility for that business process. It took OSD (Dr. Hamre) to put his foot down and demand change. I still like that guy.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:35 AM

727 posts, read 1,365,981 times
I'm no accountant, but since this is a "job related move" you should be able to deduct any non-reimbursed expenses on your tax return. Not sure about the additional mileage, but any lodging, food, etc. should be ok to deduct. Others may have better advice on this front.

Sonic, don't forget to take I-505 from I-5 to hit the wine country. Otherwise, you'll be heading directly to Sacramento without hitting the best of the wine country. If you pick up I-80 near Vallejo, you can cut back over to I-5 at Sacramento and then south to the Bakersfield area to pick up I-40. Alternate suggestion: Take 101 south to LA, or, if you really want a spectacular drive, take CA-1 from Carmel to San Luis Obispo (that's the road the Beach Boys wrote a hit song about many moons ago), then connect to 101 and on down to the LA area, where you can pick up I-40 or I-10. If time is not that big a consideration, you'd might as well make a great road trip out of it.

A word of caution. If you come down I-5, be sure and check the weather in advance. That whole stretch from Stockton all the way to LA can have really nasty fog. I once drove for 8 solid hours through it. I was not amused. White knuckles all the way. If that's the forecast, you'll probably have better luck on 101.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:04 PM

Carrera32: Thanks, I will keep all of that in mind! Fog doesn't usually bother me (at least not like snow/ice) but I think coupled with what I hear about California highway drivers it might be pretty scary! Fact is, any potential route from WA to CO will have its perils, even the longest routes...it's going to be a matter of waiting until the time comes and then choosing the best path based upon online reports of weather & road conditions.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:01 PM

9 posts, read 15,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
OK to be fair, they will only give .235/mile for the mileage that they have on their chart, which is definitely going to be the "short" route (1429 miles.) However. They have a flat number of days (4) that they allow for this trip, regardless of your route, and so long as you don't check in early or whatever, you'll get your per diem (lodging/food/etc) allowance for those 4 days--it's up to you whether they are long days of safer route driving, or fewer miles per day over mountains/through snow. I tried to plan how much money we were looking at using the internet, prior to our move, and it was a nightmare. In the end, the finance brief we went to was where the questions got answered (you can go with him to the briefs if you want.) They have changed how they do the per diem, so you don't have to submit hotel receipts anymore, they just give a flat amount per family member per day. Soldier=$123/day Adult dependent=$92.25/day Kid under 12=$61.50/day. All must be in DEERS to qualify. You may also get DLA, which varies based on rank and you can look that up online, it's not hard to find (it's a nice chunk of $$.) And if you're doing the DITY thing, there is more money involved with that since the Army's not moving your stuff, but I'm not sure how it works with someone else hauling, also they call that a "PPM" now instead of DITY ("personally procured move"). Gotta love the stupid acronyms. Anyhow, you can get DLA advanced in full prior to your move, and 80% of anticipated per diem and mileage $$ also, they go over that in the finance brief. Changing your route may cost YOU a bit more, but it won't disqualify you from receiving what you're due from the military, or change the amounts.

Mike & others: I considered taking this to a private message sorta reply since it may not be relevant to many in or moving to CoS--however, much of this info is very surprisingly hard to get a firm answer on going through military online channels (worse than reading IRS publications, I swear.) It may be helpful, actually, to a fair number of military folks moving to the area...and moving in general. If you think it appropriate to rename or move the thread, that's cool, but I think it should be a public answer if that's OK with you...? I would have killed for this info a month ago before my finance brief. Also this info isn't any kind of a secret, it's just buried in the JFTR under a million pages of military jargon and obscure blahblahblah, as we all know the gov't/military just loves to do.
I find the military does everything the most complicated way possible, with as many acronyms as possible, to make already complicated events exponentially more confusing. I was having trouble tracking this information down, thanks so much for the clarification! I think I will need to attend DH on these briefs from now on, the information he absorbs is different than the information I need sometimes

Quote:
Fact is, any potential route from WA to CO will have its perils, even the longest routes...it's going to be a matter of waiting until the time comes and then choosing the best path based upon online reports of weather & road conditions.
We will definitely be playing it by ear. As with anything involving the military, it isn't set in stone until it is actually happening!

Old 11-02-2011, 01:17 PM

727 posts, read 1,365,981 times
Don't believe everything you hear about CA drivers. By and large they're pretty skillful (when they're not on their iPhones) and predictable. Unlike the "take no prisoners drivers" on the East Coast, I've found CA drivers will actually let you merge... Folks who aren't used to driving in the heavy traffic at high speeds can be freaked, but just stay out of the fast lane if you're not keeping up with traffic, and you should be fine. Speed limits are considered more like suggestions. The only place you might have some issues is in the major metro areas. On the open road, you won't have any problems. Unlike a lot of states, the freeway signage is plentiful and gives you lots of warning and space for merging and turnoffs. I admit, I'm a bit biased. I learned how to drive on CA freeways and have had plenty of experience over the years driving in other parts of the country where the drivers (and roads) are far worse.

One more word about the fog. If it's bad fog, it can be treacherous to drive in. More than a few chain reaction crashes with dozens of cars involved at a time over the years, primarily on I-5 from Stockton to Bakersfield. You'll come up on it quickly, and then you can't see a thing. You slow down, and the guy behind you hits, then gets hit by the guy behind him, and so on and so on. I've seen reports of a hundred cars at a time in a big crash in the fog on I-5. Just be mindful of the weather reports. Usually, the conditions are such that it's in the weather predictions.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:29 AM

69 posts, read 123,236 times
Super informative thread, thanks so much Sonic! I'm in a similar boat but coming into the Springs from the east at the end of the month. Hoooray winter driving! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs