Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 10:58 PM

565 posts, read 1,847,445 times

Advertisements

I havn't had the experiences hooligan has here in the past two and a half years. His post did remind me of a few other places I have lived in the South.

I did have one experience here along a different line. Last year, my kindergardner told us it was bad to drink beer when we were having a beer with dinner. Found out the drug program at her school was taught by a teetotaler who focuses solely on tobacco and alcohol because "other drugs aren't a problem in the area". We talked to the school about it along with several other parents. The person was basically teaching that any consumption of alcohol was a very bad thing even among parents. Personally, I need my kids to know about the dangers of strangers and drugs and not to have personal conflicts about parents or friends having a glass of wine or a beer with dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:31 AM

121 posts, read 452,348 times
I also haven't had the experiences Hooligan has had. Religion, churches, bible studies, etc. are accepted and available if you are seeking them, but in my experience haven't been overly intrusive.

From time to time religion and politics come up in conversations, but I think those are pretty normal subjects and outside of a couple posts here I've never felt backlash for having differing views.

Make your way around town enough and you'll find some religious fanatics, but IMO that doesn't need to ruin your day.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:15 PM

4 posts, read 17,272 times
I recently heard that Colorado Springs was the best (or one of the best) places to meet a single conservative person!

I've been here about 12 years and my impression is that most of the town is still white, conservative, and Christian. But there was also a heck of an Obama victory party at a hotel downtown! As the town has grown into a mid-sized city, it has become more diverse.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:40 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,454,174 times
I am not sure the education level is the issue just look at Pueblo we are the democratic strong hold of the state and our education level is lower then Colorado Springs. I think it has more to do with the major churches that are located there.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Bub

235 posts, read 380,453 times
Colorado Springs is STILL a military town..and military folk are generally right leaning to say the least. Plus, you not only have the active duty posts on the North, East, South, and South West, but also a HUGE number of Retired and recently seperated vets. ElPaso voted 58% for McCain...you do the math.

Most Big Cities voted Liberal, the springs isnt there yet. However, in a big city you will have more crime in a Big City per capita and less churches per capita. When the springs reaches over a million residents, the conservatives will move out and their churches can all be turned into nightclubs and you can have the city. Only about 400,000 to go!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:21 PM

310 posts, read 1,246,015 times
For what it's worth, my opinion is that it is still dominantly conservative. It is built that way and if it gets any more liberal, then that is because everywhere is getting more liberal. It's not like the conservatives moved out and somewhere else got more conservative. So it will always be very conservative compared to other nearby cities such as Albuquerque or Denver in my opinion. It has the small town feel and a lot of suburban areas that are very Christian particularly on the north end of town. I would think that if you are looking for a city that has lots of excitement, you would wonder why you ever moved here, as Denver is similar in many ways, but has more 'big city' living by far. The Springs is a Church going and military town and not a whole lot else.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:40 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,589,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Ah, you guys are making me break out into anouther bout of Monty Python.

"First the whippings, then the or..." awwww, never mind.

Those who think men are awful for just wanting sex from women have never seen what a divorce court does to a faithful man whose wife cheats on him, gambles away their money, cheats on him, spends them so deeply into debt that access to the Fed's discount window wouldn't help, cheats on him, stops having sex about 2 days after the wedding, cheats on him, gains 50 pounds about 2 days after the wedding, cheats on him etc...

With the bias and institutionalized punishment of men in the court system without any real regard for the circumstances that lead to a divorce, it's a wonder anyone wants to get married. I have two adult sons that already see it happening to their friends.

This isn't about JC...if you keep the faith and your spouse decides to better-deal you, you're just as screwed. You can stop by the church and sing a little on the way to the courthouse to make your alimony and child support payments.

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers..." -H. Shakespeare, Henry VI
Bob....

Men do these things too you know. Women didn't corner the market on being witty charming and devious.

Women can find a good man these days just as easy as a man can find a virgin.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:27 AM

10 posts, read 26,675 times
I am a 25 year old male, and I have lived in Colorado Springs for the past 5 years. Yes, this is a really conservative town. The dating scene SUCKS here. (I dont know why people are being rude about this, you're a dude, and you want [mod]language[/mod]) The drivers are horrible, and the city is broke. I hope you don't have to ever ride on one of the buses here. The people can be cool, but most of them have that condescending "better than you" attitude. I have found it difficult to make lasting friendships here. The job market is horrible, and the music scene is pretty bad. The clubs are full of soldiers and yuppies. I , too, would recommend Denver, seems like you would fit in there. BUT, an alternative to moving to Denver would be Manitou Springs. They are more liberal and open minded about things there. The culture is great, and the best music in the area is there. The parties arent too bad either. I hope you dont make the mistake of moving here. Good luck, either way.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 03-30-2009 at 07:18 AM..

Old 03-30-2009, 03:39 AM

10 posts, read 26,675 times
Also, to the Christians in here, you people act like you've never seen an "unsaved" person fully enjoying their life and being happy. You act like it can't be accomplished without Jesus in your life. Well, I was raised in the church, and I tell you, I see more people in misery sitting in church than I've ever seen out on the street. Happiness CAN be achieved without RELIGIOUS faith. I am the prime example of that. So before you go writing people off because of their differing faiths, take a second to look around. Are you really happy with yourself, and where you are right now? And if you are, is it solely because of Jesus? Couldn't it be that you worked hard all your life and EARNED what you have, be it spiritual or material or intellectual? At the very least, you should quit harrassing people who just want to have a good time.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:46 AM

565 posts, read 1,847,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidMute00 View Post
I am a 25 year old male, and I have lived in Colorado Springs for the past 5 years. Yes, this is a really conservative town. The dating scene SUCKS here. (I dont know why people are being rude about this, you're a dude, and you want some ass every now and then.) The drivers are horrible, and the city is broke. I hope you don't have to ever ride on one of the buses here. The people can be cool, but most of them have that condescending "better than you" attitude. I have found it difficult to make lasting friendships here. The job market is horrible, and the music scene is pretty bad. The clubs are full of soldiers and yuppies. I , too, would recommend Denver, seems like you would fit in there. BUT, an alternative to moving to Denver would be Manitou Springs. They are more liberal and open minded about things there. The culture is great, and the best music in the area is there. The parties arent too bad either. I hope you dont make the mistake of moving here. Good luck, either way.
You don't sound very happy here! Have you thought about moving somewhere else? All the things people I know like about Colorado Springs seem to be areas where you are having the opposite experience?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs