Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:56 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,010,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidMute00 View Post
Also, to the Christians in here, you people act like you've never seen an "unsaved" person fully enjoying their life and being happy. You act like it can't be accomplished without Jesus in your life. Well, I was raised in the church, and I tell you, I see more people in misery sitting in church than I've ever seen out on the street. Happiness CAN be achieved without RELIGIOUS faith. I am the prime example of that. So before you go writing people off because of their differing faiths, take a second to look around. Are you really happy with yourself, and where you are right now? And if you are, is it solely because of Jesus? Couldn't it be that you worked hard all your life and EARNED what you have, be it spiritual or material or intellectual? At the very least, you should quit harrassing people who just want to have a good time.
Such anger and hatred. You sure you believe what you just wrote because it doesn't show...

Just sayin...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 07:53 PM

81 posts, read 192,348 times
It is likely that Colorado Springs is getting more liberal in the same way the rest of the country considering the election of Obama and the Demos having the house and senate.

I was in Colorado Springs last Nov. and noticed the long haired element in the downtown area. Yes I know of the Focus on the Family element, but it has ben there a while.

As for myself I consider myself center left. At this point I don't think there is a choice of big or small government, but good or bad big goverment. I didn't see any of the tea party people on April 15th asking for THEIR goverment benifits to be cut.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:53 PM

32 posts, read 74,038 times
Starting to have mixed feelings about Colorado Springs. I want to move there from Cleveland, but I'm not religious and I am a liberal. Hope I can find my place if I go there. Not looking to date or anything, I'm engaged, but I don't want some Christian trying to tell me about Jesus and all that. I believe there's a higher above just have mixed feelings about the bible and what people believe.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:04 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,525,326 times
Don't worry - I've lived here all my life and never had anyone trying to 'save' or 'convert' me.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:56 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,896,205 times
lol at people thinking COS is the mecca for Christians and everyone is a bible thumper.

If you want to live among conservatives, move to Teller county. We voted 62% for McCain and 64% for Bush. And everyone I know has more than a few weapons in their home. If you want to be around fellow granolas, move to Boulder, but don't wine about how expensive it is. If you live in a liberal city, it's going to be expensive.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:06 AM

432 posts, read 1,203,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganb19 View Post
Starting to have mixed feelings about Colorado Springs. I want to move there from Cleveland, but I'm not religious and I am a liberal. Hope I can find my place if I go there. Not looking to date or anything, I'm engaged, but I don't want some Christian trying to tell me about Jesus and all that. I believe there's a higher above just have mixed feelings about the bible and what people believe.
Understandably.

It is possible to be both a liberal and a Christian, though.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:56 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,185,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I've lived here all my life and never had anyone trying to 'save' or 'convert' me.
And even if you did, I'm sure you would be able to utter the words 'no thanks' or 'not interested' without having a complete meltdown and immediately moving away to Haight and Ashbury in SF.

Why do some atheistic or agnostic folks tend to feel that anyone who owns a Bible is out to get them? By manifesting such an attitude, they are doing exactly what they're afraid the 'Bible-thumpers' will be doing to them.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:45 PM

598 posts, read 1,547,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
And even if you did, I'm sure you would be able to utter the words 'no thanks' or 'not interested' without having a complete meltdown and immediately moving away to Haight and Ashbury in SF.

Why do some atheistic or agnostic folks tend to feel that anyone who owns a Bible is out to get them? By manifesting such an attitude, they are doing exactly what they're afraid the 'Bible-thumpers' will be doing to them.

So true!

In my case, I've lived here for 5 years and never had anyone knock on my door regarding religion, nor has it been an issue in everyday life. Why are people so scared of a person carrying a bible?

Personally, I'd be more concerned about drugs/guns on the south side as opposed to a person with a bible on the north side! Good grief...

Old 11-26-2009, 08:43 PM

105 posts, read 289,881 times
Maybe my workplace is a blasphemous place or something, but nobody talks to me about no Gods, no baby Jesus and no bibles since I moved to COS.

Praise the Lord!

Old 11-27-2009, 09:51 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInMadison View Post
Maybe my workplace is a blasphemous place or something, but nobody talks to me about no Gods, no baby Jesus and no bibles since I moved to COS.

Praise the Lord!
You've hit upon one of the main anomalies of COLO SPGS, that being the city's reputation as a hotbed of religious fervor, but the reality which is that this city is like most others. There are people here of all faiths, but they are not out on street corners or in malls recruiting new members or converts, etc. I see no more religious activity here than I did back in the DC metro area / Fairfax County, VA. Just like back in VA, we get an occasional door knock from visiting Mormons or 7th Day Adventists -- all very nice people.

Truth is, I see LESS overt religion here, in that I've seen no farms or ranches out here with 3 large crosses planted by the roadside like we saw all over VA and the South. If I did see that, I wouldn't think anything of it.

The city's reputation comes from an actual concentration of religion-themed organizations, but the reality is that the vast majority of members of those organizations are located all over the nation, not here. The main source of our city's reputation comes from one very vocal person and organization whose pronouncements and radio programs often stir controversy, but again, his audience is national, with only a small slice here.

My neighbors attend a prominent mega-church, are two of the nicest young folks you could imagine and are not walking around our neighborhood trying to convert people, hand out literature or bother anyone. Religions of every stripe exist here in harmony as they do elsewhere.

COLO SPGS leans strongly conservative, as do many other parts of the nation, but when it comes to religion, people here go to church, to to work and for the most part just mind their own business.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs