Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:47 AM

13 posts, read 43,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
True, but don't you think, "(she)...looked at me disgusted, as if I didn't have a right to talk to her," is stretching it a bit? Besides, why judge an entire city on one cashier's bad day? What sort of vibe do you think your own attitude is giving off? Maybe there's a reason people aren't being very friendly to you...
Maybe there's a reason people aren't being friendly to me? What is that supposed to imply? I love how "friendly" people are on here--haha..only further proving my point. Why would you even suggest such a thing without knowing me?

I don't think "disgusted" was stretching it, either. I was there, I saw her face. And I clearly stated that I wasn't giving up on the city's lack of friendliness, only that *I* hadn't seen it yet. I gave other examples besides the cashier incident and am not the type of person to judge an "entire city" on one person.

As for my own vibe, well, if you knew me you'd know: very outgoing friendly, helpful and courteous. I am definitely NOT the type of person who would insinuate to someone I didn't know that maybe they're the reason people aren't friendly.

Could it not possibly be that regionally speaking I am simply used to more courtesy? Texas is known as a friendly state after all. I do have high expectations of people's attitudes. I expect that if I'm friendly towards you, you'll be friendly back. But I have not found that to be the case here. Giving someone a compliment and then having them glance up with their eyes, stare for a second, offer a emotionless "thanks" and look back down immediately offering nothing else in the way of emotion, to me, is rude.

I am sure it was my vibe that caused a woman driver to go slightly whacko on me when I was driving out of the Citadel parking lot last week. She was pulling out, didn't notice me and almost hit me. She was in the wrong - I was driving on the path out and she started backing up when I was already behind her. What did she do? She laid on her horn and started flipping me off. Not only that, but she continued honking at me all the way out of the parking lot and as we sat at the light. I truthfully feared she was going to get out of her car and accost me. Why? Because she screwed up and I happened to be the one there? Yah, super friendly.

Or...a couple weeks ago when I was backing out of Petco. I got my car half way out of the spot and noticed a car coming so I stopped and waited for them to pass. As I started to go again another car came and I waited again. This happened again as 4 more cars drove by--not a single one was courtesy enough to stop so that I could go ahead and pull out. That's the sort of thing I'm talking about. People are generally more friendly where I'm from and someone would have stopped to let me continue to back out, just as I do for other cars frequently. But I'm sure the vibe from my yellow slug bug with peace signs all over the back must have indicated that I was a nasty person, unworthy of decent courtesy.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:13 AM

454 posts, read 1,225,173 times
I have to say that most the people I have met in the Springs is from Texas or California. And it kinds of seems like you are being a little tough on Colorado because of a few things that have happened. You honestly can't tell me no one has never done any of this to you in Texas? It happens every where, just you might have noticed it happened since you are new here. Relax a little and enjoy the beautiful mountains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jenn View Post
Maybe there's a reason people aren't being friendly to me? What is that supposed to imply? I love how "friendly" people are on here--haha..only further proving my point. Why would you even suggest such a thing without knowing me?

I don't think "disgusted" was stretching it, either. I was there, I saw her face. And I clearly stated that I wasn't giving up on the city's lack of friendliness, only that *I* hadn't seen it yet. I gave other examples besides the cashier incident and am not the type of person to judge an "entire city" on one person.

As for my own vibe, well, if you knew me you'd know: very outgoing friendly, helpful and courteous. I am definitely NOT the type of person who would insinuate to someone I didn't know that maybe they're the reason people aren't friendly.

Could it not possibly be that regionally speaking I am simply used to more courtesy? Texas is known as a friendly state after all. I do have high expectations of people's attitudes. I expect that if I'm friendly towards you, you'll be friendly back. But I have not found that to be the case here. Giving someone a compliment and then having them glance up with their eyes, stare for a second, offer a emotionless "thanks" and look back down immediately offering nothing else in the way of emotion, to me, is rude.

I am sure it was my vibe that caused a woman driver to go slightly whacko on me when I was driving out of the Citadel parking lot last week. She was pulling out, didn't notice me and almost hit me. She was in the wrong - I was driving on the path out and she started backing up when I was already behind her. What did she do? She laid on her horn and started flipping me off. Not only that, but she continued honking at me all the way out of the parking lot and as we sat at the light. I truthfully feared she was going to get out of her car and accost me. Why? Because she screwed up and I happened to be the one there? Yah, super friendly.

Or...a couple weeks ago when I was backing out of Petco. I got my car half way out of the spot and noticed a car coming so I stopped and waited for them to pass. As I started to go again another car came and I waited again. This happened again as 4 more cars drove by--not a single one was courtesy enough to stop so that I could go ahead and pull out. That's the sort of thing I'm talking about. People are generally more friendly where I'm from and someone would have stopped to let me continue to back out, just as I do for other cars frequently. But I'm sure the vibe from my yellow slug bug with peace signs all over the back must have indicated that I was a nasty person, unworthy of decent courtesy.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:17 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
I have to say that most the people I have met in the Springs is from Texas or California. And it kinds of seems like you are being a little tough on Colorado because of a few things that have happened. You honestly can't tell me no one has never done any of this to you in Texas? It happens every where, just you might have noticed it happened since you are new here. Relax a little and enjoy the beautiful mountains.
You can't judge an area from one encounter. There are the occasional sociopathic jerks everywhere (or usually pleasant people having a bad day) but I've found the people of CS to be very friendly. Give it a chance and I wager you'll change your impressions.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:49 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginhild View Post
I have lived in many other places including over 20 different states and 6 foreign countries. Compared to other med/large cities in the US (over 500,000 area population) the Springs still has lower average crime. Heck, the shootings in the Springs all last year are about the same for one month in Kansas City!

Pogo, I guess you've lived in a few other places as well but, some folks who comment on the Springs have only lived on one place their whole life (eg. Pueblo) and seem to see the world as Pueblo vs. Springs! They also tend to frequent the Springs city-data forum to constantly harp how things are improving in Pueblo and going down in the Springs!? Personally, after living all over, I find Colorado Springs a wonderful place to live.

The crime stats for Colorado Springs show the Springs at a crime index of 397.6 which is not bad for a city of its populaiton. (compare Pueblo at 514.8 or Kansas City, KS at 638.0 or Kansas City, MO at 798.6 or St. Louis, MO at 1158.6)
Crime Rates

Violent Crime Pueblo -6 Colorado SPrings - 6 United States - 3

Property Crime Pueblo - 6 Colorado Springs - 6 United States - 3

This is what I found on the data for crime, notice the two cities are the same.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

More information on the two:

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 05:25 AM..

Old 01-22-2009, 09:50 AM

13 posts, read 43,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
You can't judge an area from one encounter. There are the occasional sociopathic jerks everywhere (or usually pleasant people having a bad day) but I've found the people of CS to be very friendly. Give it a chance and I wager you'll change your impressions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
Of course it's because I'm new and haven't experienced much here. I stated that point as well. I do love SO much about the area and I have had a couple of really nice experiences: a stranger who saw me looking for boots in Target suggested where I could get a better deal (and I did score!) and a cashier at Wa-Mart gave me several free goods for being patient and friendly during an extremely long wait.

It seems to me like it's the locals here who are getting bent on my statment. I'm not bent, I simply stated that in my limited time here I haven't seen as much friendliness as I'm used to. I did not suggest that every Coloradan is rude or that CoS sucks or that there's no hope...just my $0.02 so far.

Now I do take it personally when someone suggests that I'm the problem, and it does sort of fall back on my initial assesment about a lack of friendliness - that's not necessarily a fault of CO, of course. That's people thinking that being on the internet gives carte blanche to be a jerk. I mean, responding to someone's opinion (when said person clearly stated it was limited to both time and experience) with how it could be the fault of them or their vibe or that they've over exaggerated isn't exactly a good means to prove just how friendly people here are, you know?

But I have faith in this city for sure and really do look forward to meeting and making friends. I found a wonderful church and am looking to return to school the fall, so there'll be plenty of chances for me to see the positive (besides the gorgeous scenery and weather - which kicks Texas's a**!).

ps...lol..is that even right, Coloradans? I should know that by now, but I don't.

Last edited by just_jenn; 01-22-2009 at 10:01 AM..

Old 01-22-2009, 10:03 AM
SYS

339 posts, read 1,172,276 times
Crime, restaurants, climate, education, etc. etc. -- these are all pretty relative, isn't it? As far as the restaurants go, I have to admit that my palate sensitivity has been entirely spoiled by the San Francisco cuisine...

To add one other thing that I forgot to mention in my above list of what turns me off about CS...

I do understand that the Briargate is a conservative area, and the Briargate YMCA, founded in Christian principles, is naturally conservative in leaning. I'm a member there, and I visit there about three times a week to exercise using their treadmills. It's really helpful that they do have TVs to help with your boring exercise. It never did occur to me until recently, though, that half of all TVs are intentionally set to the conservative FOX channel and the other half to sports. It's not really a big deal to me, so don't take this as an emotional rant. It's actually kinda funny. One day, during the heat of the pre-election mudslinging, I finally got sick of it and asked one of the staff there to at least have one TV to a more neutral CNN. He really hesitated but finally relented. Well, the next time when I went to exercise, half the TVs were identically set to the FOX again. Needless to say, I was amused and never again bothered to ask for another channel. I now just do my thing and get out. After all, it's their institution and they can show whatever they please on their TVs.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:09 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jenn View Post
Maybe there's a reason people aren't being friendly to me? What is that supposed to imply?
That was just a question, not an insinuation. It sounds like you've got some grudges to unload, and until you do, I don't think I or anyone else can say much to soothe you. Maybe you should just move?

Old 01-22-2009, 10:14 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,084,255 times
Your post takes no notice of cause and effect whatsoever. The only reason that area is safe at all is because of military & gun shops. If you turn it into a hippy "anything goes" environment you will have people doing drive bys sooner than you can say "granola bar". The only thing keeping the lid on the cauldron from exploding there is Guns and God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post

Sure the springs have a lot of things going for it but it is way too conservative for me. There is a lot of military in the area, lots of churches, guns shops, junk yards etc. and the shopping and entertainment venues leave a lot to be desired. That said, the springs have low crime, good schools, good traffic, little pollution.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:20 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
Your post takes no notice of cause and effect whatsoever. The only reason that area is safe at all is because of military & gun shops. If you turn it into a hippy "anything goes" environment you will have people doing drive bys sooner than you can say "granola bar". The only thing keeping the lid on the cauldron from exploding there is Guns and God.
Any references to back up that statement? Any major studies done? Just asking..... Especially when the latest numbers show the crime the same as Pueblo and above the national average.

Look at this with Colorado Springs compared to Boulder:

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 05:24 AM..

Old 01-22-2009, 10:21 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,084,255 times
I don't need studies for what I can see with my own eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Any references to back up that statement? Any major studies done? Just asking..... Especially when the latest numbers show the crime the same as Pueblo and above the national average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs