Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 08:03 AM

5 posts, read 13,088 times

Advertisements

Looking to transfer to one of the AFB's in Colorado Springs and really like what I've read about Manitou Springs. Have been checking Realtor.com and some other real estate sights trying to get an idea of what I might have to spend on a home.

Would like to keep it under $200,000. Square footage, don't need anything big at all, 800+ would be fine. Don't want to move into a "neighborhood." Would love to have anywhere from 1/2 acre+ and trees/views are a must.

Anyone think I'm going to be able to find what I'm looking for in Manitou Springs or any of the communities close by?

Lastly sort of an odd question but with a fenced yard do you think I'm going to have to worry about letting my 5 pound chihuahua out by herself? By the by she has no idea she weighs 5lbs. She'll pick a fight with anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 10:00 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Your dog is a goner if you let it out. 200k isn't going to get you 1/2 acre in Manitou Springs from my personal searching, and land is tight there.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:22 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Agree, a 5-pound pooch is a snack for a hungry coyote the size of german shepherd, or a group of foxes on the prowl.

Manitou is noted for very small lots and small homes packed in on narrow hilly street. Quaint, but not for me. Anyone in Manitou with a half acre can rightfully be referred to as a land baron.

IMO, you'll have to go out east towards Falcon and Peyton to find land with housing for $200k. Might be a modular home, but there are a lot to pick from.

The half-acre-lot-but-not-in-a-neighborhood requirement is a killer; it's will be hard to find close-in, and probably $400k if found at all. Everything here that's close-in is going to be in a neighborhood of some sort, either a new one with an HOA and covenants or an old one. I'm up near the USAF Academy in a new neighborhood with a 3800 sq ft home and we only have a quarter acre and our 10,000 sq ft lot is more than we need. This area is semi-desert and people must water their lawns, which gets expensive, so smaller lots are normal.

There may be something in Old Colorado City, west of Downtown, but not sure. I'm sure you can get into OCC for $200k, but the half-acre may be problematic. OCC is an area of older, smallish homes, with what I call a funky vibe, is walkable to eateries and shops and such; sort of a cool place with purple bungalows, free spirits, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:14 AM

120 posts, read 371,711 times
As part of my job, I just reviewed EVERY house for sale in Woodmen Hills (also using realtor.com). Altho rare, because of the economy and foreclosures, you CAN get a stick-built house on 1/2 acre for $200,000. Go back to realtor.com and select 80831 zip code. Everyplace out here has a view. If you stick with a development with 1/2 acre or larger lots, you'll get the wide open feel but I think you're pooch will be safe. I haven't heard of any coyotes or foxes attacking pets here.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:21 PM

5 posts, read 13,088 times
could someone help me out with the zip codes for west and northwest. think any further out than palmer lake to the north and woodland park to the west would be too far of a drive on a daily basis? i figure i'm willing to drive apprx 1hour each way.

anything to the east looks a little "flat" and i've had enough of being able to see for miles here in oklahoma.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:42 PM

914 posts, read 2,207,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edie1980 View Post
Don't want to move into a "neighborhood." Would love to have anywhere from 1/2 acre+ and trees/views are a must.
I could be easily misunderstood here, but much of Manitou Springs doesn't really have views - it IS the view. Don't misunderstand - it is a beautiful setting, but it is slap up against Pikes Peak and many properties are too close to the scenery to see the scenery, if you follow me. My point is not that Manitou Springs is not a nice place- it is, certainly. My point is that if a view is important there are many area locations with more attractive views, and almost anywhere is going to have more properties 1/2 acre plus.

Also, as one who just spent over a year looking for property "with a view" you may have to choose between trees and the view, no matter where you go. You can get some trees, and some view, or no trees and wide open view, but it is going to be hard - maybe impossible - to have a view AND lots of trees.

The comment above about Falcon and Peyton is a good one. I would expand that to include Black Forest (both the community and the area). It is easy to get the impression that the prarie meets the mountains at I-25. That, of course is not true. Black Forest is above Colorado Springs and has a climate of its own. Some parts are more than 1500 feet higher. Falcon is six or eight hundred feet above the Springs. I had occasion to spend some time over that way a couple of weeks ago and was really struck by just how nice the views are and how pleasant the area appeared generally. While not actually mountainous, much of it is very, very hilly. Some parts are heavily wooded and others are not, so there is a chance you could find just what suits you.

If you are looking at properties of 1/2 acre plus you may be on a well. Water is a major issue out here and you need to ask lots of questions about water supplies, particularly if you are not going to be on a municipal system.

Of course these kind of statements are always generalities, and you are not buying generalities; you only need to find one property.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:19 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,746 times
Why doesn't anybody ever mention the area between COS and Penrose?
It is off of 115 and has many many beautiful places!!
115 is south of COS and most often referred to as Nevada (as in COS).???
Just a hop skip and jump to the city IMO!! ALL HIGHWAY with little traffic!!! SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! just wondering??

Old 10-24-2009, 12:49 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,574,783 times
It'll also depend on which base you have in mind. The Air Force Academy is in NW Colorado Springs; Peterson AFB is adjacent to the Colorado Springs Airport; Cheyenne Mtn AFB is in the SW part of the city; Schriever AFB is on the south side of the city. Here is a ZIP code map. Click on the area you're interested in, or just zoom in and it'll display the ZIP code, and on the right of the screen, the areas in that ZIP code.

El Paso County - Colorado Zip Code Boundary Map (CO)

Old 10-24-2009, 04:00 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,917,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edie1980 View Post
Would like to keep it under $200,000. Square footage, don't need anything big at all, 800+ would be fine. Don't want to move into a "neighborhood." Would love to have anywhere from 1/2 acre+ and trees/views are a must.

Anyone think I'm going to be able to find what I'm looking for in Manitou Springs or any of the communities close by?
Simple answer is no.

As it is in places like Briargate, you get a postage size lot for $200K and no trees unless you move into one of the homes that was built in the early 80s to mid 80s. Manitou pricing per sq ft on both land and housing shoots through the roof comparitively speaking. In addition, the nature of the city doesn't allow for much in terms of land area per lot.

As for your dog, it might be relatively safe during the day in very short spurts but overall, little animals in areas that butt up to the foothills are appetizers for various animals. Heck, even labrador retrievers have been dinner for mountain lions up in the Broadmoor Bluffs area.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:04 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,926 times
I must disagree with an earlier post - Most homes in Manitou have great views. (mine does!) Most do. The type of homes in Manitou vary from the historic - to traditional "attached 2 car garage" - you can find just about anything in Manitou Springs. Cheap - no.

For a "larger" lot in Manitou Springs you might check out Crystal Hills - in and around that area. Lots there are typically 6,000 - 10,000 + sf.

If you are looking for a a 800+ sf house - you might look more in the historic areas. - but that will come with a smaller lot!

Your price range of $200K should work.

Your dog will require a dog run! Easy enough to do - as a true dog lover, I feel more comfortable with a chain-a-link top on a dog run. Bears and others are not strangers to the area.

If you are looking for unique property - Manitou has plenty of it. However you must move quickly there. The inventory is limited. It's important to really "hawk" the area.
Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs