Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 09:30 AM

31 posts, read 65,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
CAVA1990 wrote:
The fall colors of the hardwood forests along the VA Blue Ridge put the "golden aspens" to shame.
True! Taking it one step further...the fall colors of New England ( with an abundance of maples ) put the colors of the Blue Ridge to shame. Driving thru Kebler pass yesterday, I noticed a slight hint of yellow to the Aspens. Fall is coming soon!
You're not kidding about that! I lived in New Hampshire for 6 years as a kid. Very picturesque. We would get 10 inches of snow and still have school. Down here in DC, if we have one inch, school is canceled. We had like a record 50 inches this year and missed weeks. Never had this much in the 18 years I've been here though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 09:31 AM

529 posts, read 1,325,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvv4life View Post
Blah Blah Blah....all those places everyone is listing are the same places EVERYONE else and thier grandmother are moving to!!! We do not do year round schools in Colorado. Colorado is a farming state and we still practice the "old farming schedule". In fact, some districts have extended hours during the day and attend only 4 day weeks. A couple schools around Colorado that I have attended have been that way for decades.

If you are looking for beauty, small town atmosphere with a strong catholic church family, look into Buena Vista. It may not fit all of your criteria, but it slower paced and won't break your bank account to survive. Plus, Monarch Mountain is 30-40 minutes drive with NO traffic!
There is no shortage on year round activities and it is a tourist trap during the summer. So finding a part time summer seasonal gig won't be an issue Monarch is by far the BEST mountain I have ever had the pleasure of skiing and NEVER crowded.

Enjoy your trip
So tell us about the available teaching positions available in Buena Vista and their pay range?

Also, here's a link to year-round schools in Colorado;

Related District and School Information - Year Round 2

Old 09-04-2010, 08:04 PM

Hey everyone! Sorry that it took so long to write about my trip to Colorado. First off, what an AMAZING place!!!! I got into Denver at about 10 pm and went right to my hotel to sleep. Woke up early and was on my way. The first day, I made a short stop at both South Park (can't believe it's a real place!..haha) and Breckenridge. Breck was just a beautiful site with a nice little main street.

Next up, I stopped at Glenwood Springs to see Doc Holliday's grave site. He was always my favorite cowboy, so this meant a lot to me. I was only in each of these places for about an hour, because my goal was to get to the furthest point of my trip, Aspen, before the end of the day.

I don't know how to explain Aspen, it was everything I thought it would be. The picturesque soccer field with the skate park was active all night. I just watched the youth league games and took in the sight.

In the morning, I went up to the Maroon Bells. I hiked for hours up there because I couldn't get enough. Saw some fly fishing that reminding me of "A River Runs Through It". After that, I explored the main part of town and had some lunch. Decided to ride the Gondola and take some pics from way up. (must have been a ten minute ride that I wished wouldn't end) It's really hard to put into words the view all around Aspen. When I got down I drove by the mansions and even checked out the schools. (10 students per teacher, perfect!) I could've stayed there the whole trip, but it was off to Vail.

As I pulled into Vail, my expectations were low, because I figured my trip could only go downhill after Aspen.......nope! It only took one short drive through Vail to know that I would be spending the night there. The "village" seemed like it was out of a Christmas movie or something. I stayed at a German hotel right in the middle of the village that had a deck overseeing everything. This town was jumping on a Wednesday night. Live music could be heard everywhere. I went to the highly recommended Red Lion for some beers and there #1 rated chili. Good stuff. It was the type of place that you could just walk around and enjoy for hours. I took some pics in the morning and was off to check out the elementary school in town. Very small like Aspen.

Time for Rocky Mountain National Park. Felt like I was driving up, up, up forever. Hopped on a tour bus when I got there and checked out several areas. My favorite was Bear Lake. I'm so happy that they are strict about where you walk at RMNP. It really is sacred ground. God's Country for sure.

Next up was the kind of disappointing part of my trip. I visited Fort Collins and was disappointed in the College Avenue that I took into town. Literally just fast food, 7 eleven, marijuana coffee shops, gas stations, homeless guys, for miles. I finally found a tourist service area and they directed me to Old Town. It was nice. I had a nice dinner there and spoke with a few people. They were very nice like everyone else seemed to be in Colorado. It was so odd for me to have people say hello as I passed them on the street. I loved it. I checked out Longmont, Broomfield, Louisville, Evergreen, Boulder. All nice places like Fort Collins, but not for me. All in all, one of the best trips of my life!

I have to go again now that I know the area. Most of you were right in your assessment that I should move to the ski towns if I move to CO. That is exactly where I would live. I wasn't a fan of Denver or the suburb blob surrounding it. Lots of prairie and way too far from the mountains. I want to hike and ski/snowboard too much to deal with long drives in traffic to get there. Unfortunately, vail/aspen are probably way out of my price range. I did speak with one person who said that both towns have subsidized housing for its teachers. That was good news. I will definitely look into that. Even though these towns have a population of 5,000 people, they were packed with visitors the whole times I was there. People were so active, volleyball games, biking, hiking, basketball, skateboarding, you name it.

I can't stop looking at the pics I took and it's been a week already!!! Anyways, I really appreciate everyone's help....it made for a memorable trip

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-05-2010 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: Carriage returns!!

Old 09-04-2010, 08:11 PM

Soccer field in Aspen from up high
Attached Thumbnails
Will be in Colorado next week...where should I visit since I am considering moving there?-007.jpg  

Old 09-04-2010, 08:14 PM

Maroon Bells
Attached Thumbnails
Will be in Colorado next week...where should I visit since I am considering moving there?-042.jpg  

Old 09-04-2010, 08:18 PM

Vail at night
Attached Thumbnails
Will be in Colorado next week...where should I visit since I am considering moving there?-133.jpg  

Old 09-04-2010, 08:20 PM

Daytime Vail
Attached Thumbnails
Will be in Colorado next week...where should I visit since I am considering moving there?-186.jpg  

Old 09-04-2010, 08:22 PM

Bear Lake
Attached Thumbnails
Will be in Colorado next week...where should I visit since I am considering moving there?-189.jpg  

Old 09-04-2010, 08:24 PM

Doc Holliday!!
Attached Thumbnails
Will be in Colorado next week...where should I visit since I am considering moving there?-003.jpg  

Old 09-04-2010, 09:00 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berad23 View Post
Hey everyone!
Unfortunately, vail/aspen are probably way out of my price range. I did speak with one person who said that both towns have subsidized housing for its teachers. That was good news. I will definitely look into that.
Those areas do have subsidized housing and a waiting list. Is there anyway you could do some networking? That might help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado