Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 11:12 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berad23 View Post

I have to go again now that I know the area. Most of you were right in your assessment that I should move to the ski towns if I move to CO. That is exactly where I would live. I wasn't a fan of Denver or the suburb blob surrounding it. Lots of prairie and way too far from the mountains. I want to hike and ski/snowboard too much to deal with long drives in traffic to get there. Unfortunately, vail/aspen are probably way out of my price range. I did speak with one person who said that both towns have subsidized housing for its teachers. That was good news. I will definitely look into that. Even though these towns have a population of 5,000 people, they were packed with visitors the whole times I was there. People were so active, volleyball games, biking, hiking, basketball, skateboarding, you name it. I can't stop looking at the pics I took and it's been a week already!!! Anyways, I really appreciate everyone's help....it made for a memorable trip
Yes that is the thing, ski towns have a Catch 22. Great amenities, things to do, scenery, etc. But the catch is all the "real world" stuff like housing and jobs is more of a problem. On the other hand if you live on the Front Range, jobs and housing are really not much more complicated than any other bog standard suburban community in the USA. The catch of course is that all those great things in ski towns are not readily available.

So you have to pick and choose and whatever the choice is, it has it's ups and downs.

Also keep in mind if you pick the ski town life that in the summer and winter it will be jamming with people, but spring and fall will be quiet or plain dead. Vail Village you were in, from April 20-June 1, basically a lot of stuff is just closed down completely. But I like that lifestyle because there is a beginning and end to everything and a season for everything as well.

Good luck and thanks for reporting back in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado