Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 12:15 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berad23 View Post
Longmont sounds interesting. What are some of it's charms.
Tons of info in the Boulder section regarding Longmont. It's part of the St. Vrain School District - very large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 01:30 PM

529 posts, read 1,326,243 times
To answer you question about Longmont. It is part of the Front Range Blob between Denver and Fort Collins. The traffic is pretty bad and Butterball has a processing plant in the middle of town. Although it might be closed now as the economy is soooo bad.

Here's the good stuff about Longmont. A little history; it is named Longmont because it (sort of) sits in the shadow of Long's peak. Long's peak was, of course named after Stehpen Long an explorer to the area along with St. Vrain. Enough history.

Longmont is a bedroom city of Denver. Pretty low crime, downtown does have some charm and crowds and it is a nice place to raise a family. It'll have it's growth problems eventually but as I remember, it was nice 10 years ago.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:03 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziasforever View Post
Longmont is a bedroom city of Denver. Pretty low crime, downtown does have some charm and crowds and it is a nice place to raise a family. It'll have it's growth problems eventually but as I remember, it was nice 10 years ago.
Still is a nice town. Although I wouldn't necessarily call it a bedroom city of Denver.

We've been here 11 years and very much love it .

Old 08-19-2010, 04:18 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berad23 View Post
Thanks for the reply! I figured living in a mountaintown/foothills would be too expensive for a teacher salary, but obviously they would be ideal. The biggest thing is I don't want to be surrounded by traffic and buildings everywhere with literally no view of beauty. Suburbs of DC are absolutely out of control.
Some would argue suburbs on the I-25 corridor are out of control. It's a significant blob of urbania that has doubled in size since I was a kid 20 years ago. There are traffic and buildings everywhere, for miles and miles. Maybe not like DC, but it is what it is. I think once you visit you'll understand that.

If you want the mountain lifestyle, move to the mountains. Sometimes there are teacher openings in places like Vail and Aspen due to the high cost of living. Sure you might have to have a 2nd job, might have to cut back on owning "stuff" and live in smaller place or with roommates, but you trade that off for having great activities right there instead of hours away.

I think most people that move to Denver and expect to live a mountain lifestyle end up disappointed. Unless they just plan on making the trip every once in a while, it's cool, but if they really expect to have that integrated into their daily life, it aint happenin'. As far as cities go, certainly Denver is a nice city but it just give me the giggles when people saying living in metro Denver is "living in the mountains".

Old 08-19-2010, 04:29 PM

529 posts, read 1,326,243 times
Yep, Colorado ain't what it used to be! (as the oldtimers say).

I never thought about Aspen or Vail but the poster will need to do all the above that wanneroo suggests including a commute from some place like Carbondale to Aspen or Glenwood Springs to Vail to find decent rent.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:26 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,988,622 times
Wink Longmont, as far as I know

What you might possibly do is work in Boulder, and live in Longmont. Boulder is expensive, but they obviously have many teachers who have to live somewhere. Although I wouldn't know, Longmont might be such a place. It is certainly less expensive. If it is a bedroom community of any town it would be Boulder, with a fairly easy drive between the two.

Longmont has certain charms I have not fully investigated, but it does offer most all the shopping options you might wish. Likely also a nice enough suburban neighborhood to call home. Aside from access to Boulder, it is well situated to get into some beautiful mountains quickly, also to I-25 and points south or north. There is much to recommend it, without the feeling it is part of an endless metropolis, in other words a certain separation, but still more than large enough. It also enjoys good views of the front range mountains, although that fairly common on the bordering plains.

What it does not have, in relation to a place like Boulder, are lovely mountains directly at your backdoor, rising above town, with many fine city hiking trails to choose from. Also that Boulder will have just that many more restaurant and shopping options, particularly of the more trendy. Not to mention the presence of the large CU campus, which lends a distinct ambience. It is also a more liberal place. For this and other reasons, some do not like Boulder at all. Although judging by the population and real estate prices, there are plenty that do perfectly fine.

In the end you may not care. Perhaps will. Although the flavor of the home you choose will be influenced not only by the type of town it is, but also in relation and proximity to what else.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:22 AM

14 posts, read 37,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziasforever View Post
Have you investigated the teaching/job market yet? It might not be as brisk as Virginia. A teacher (albiet here in NM) told me that some of the schools districts have year round sessions there. I'd verify that if I were you.

Pretty much everywhere in Colorado requires a nice bank account to live comfortably but coming from VA, it sounds like you know that already.
Blah Blah Blah....all those places everyone is listing are the same places EVERYONE else and thier grandmother are moving to!!! We do not do year round schools in Colorado. Colorado is a farming state and we still practice the "old farming schedule". In fact, some districts have extended hours during the day and attend only 4 day weeks. A couple schools around Colorado that I have attended have been that way for decades.

If you are looking for beauty, small town atmosphere with a strong catholic church family, look into Buena Vista. It may not fit all of your criteria, but it slower paced and won't break your bank account to survive. Plus, Monarch Mountain is 30-40 minutes drive with NO traffic!
There is no shortage on year round activities and it is a tourist trap during the summer. So finding a part time summer seasonal gig won't be an issue Monarch is by far the BEST mountain I have ever had the pleasure of skiing and NEVER crowded.

Enjoy your trip

Old 08-20-2010, 11:25 AM

31 posts, read 65,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
If you're going to Rocky Mountain, check out the Stanley Hotel in Estes. Inspired the Shining but most importantly the bar scene from Dumb and Dumber was filmed there as well as a couple other scenes. I'm not much of a church goer (understatement) so I can't really comment on the church scene. But I think finding a job should be priority one then see if the area or surrounding area works for you.

Thanks for the info. Another classic movie! Hope my visit there will turn out better than Jack's!

Old 08-20-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Tons of info in the Boulder section regarding Longmont. It's part of the St. Vrain School District - very large.

Thanks for your help. It seems like Boulder area is beautiful but full of people that I wouldn't fit in with possibly. (Hippie, Vegetarian, Green types) Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it would be a lot different then DC. I guess that's the point though, right! Haha

Old 08-20-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Some would argue suburbs on the I-25 corridor are out of control. It's a significant blob of urbania that has doubled in size since I was a kid 20 years ago. There are traffic and buildings everywhere, for miles and miles. Maybe not like DC, but it is what it is. I think once you visit you'll understand that.

If you want the mountain lifestyle, move to the mountains. Sometimes there are teacher openings in places like Vail and Aspen due to the high cost of living. Sure you might have to have a 2nd job, might have to cut back on owning "stuff" and live in smaller place or with roommates, but you trade that off for having great activities right there instead of hours away.

I think most people that move to Denver and expect to live a mountain lifestyle end up disappointed. Unless they just plan on making the trip every once in a while, it's cool, but if they really expect to have that integrated into their daily life, it aint happenin'. As far as cities go, certainly Denver is a nice city but it just give me the giggles when people saying living in metro Denver is "living in the mountains".

Interesting....I kind of ruled those towns out due to cost. Figured they would be areas that I would visit often. If there is a teaching job available there and a place to stay in or close to town that fits my budget, that would be great. Are Vail/Aspen really slow during the offseason?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado