Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:04 PM

162 posts, read 631,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
So basically an economy built on government pork?
That great question there, Cava1990. Our federal government helps our Transportation Technology Center and Pueblo Chemical Depot to bring mult-million dollars into local economy. PEDCO and Pueblo Urban Renewal is behind that projects of 1980's and till now! I am not sure our state government or federal government behind CSU Pueblo massive growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 10:06 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,456,482 times
Quote:
So basically an economy built on government pork?
Everything Pueblo did was voted on and passed by its citizens:

Riverwalk: Was voted on on 1995 and we approved the city to issue about 12 million dollars in bonds to build the first phase.

Convention Center and hotel:
Voted on and passed by Puebloans to build the convention center in the early 90's then to expand it in 2007.

PEDCo: Formed by the city to help recruit jobs.

1/2 cent sales tax to help recruit primary jobs:
First passed by Puebloans in the 1980's to help bring in new companies to Pueblo including but not limited to the PBR world headquarters and Vesta's.

In fact this election Pueblo is the ONLY city to have ballot proposals to let the city issue bonds. They are for Memorial Hall then our 1/2 cent sales tax is up for renew. I suspect both will pass as Puebloans know how important they are to the success of a city and to keep this area the kind of place people will want to move to like the article says from the OP.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:12 PM

162 posts, read 631,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Everything Pueblo did was voted on and passed by its citizens:

Riverwalk: Was voted on on 1995 and we approved the city to issue about 12 million dollars in bonds to build the first phase.

Convention Center and hotel:
Voted on and passed by Puebloans to build the convention center in the early 90's then to expand it in 2007.

PEDCo: Formed by the city to help recruit jobs.

1/2 cent sales tax to help recruit primary jobs:
First passed by Puebloans in the 1980's to help bring in new companies to Pueblo including but not limited to the PBR world headquarters and Vesta's.

In fact this election Pueblo is the ONLY city to have ballot proposals to let the city issue bonds. They are for Memorial Hall then our 1/2 cent sales tax is up for renew. I suspect both will pass as Puebloans know how important they are to the success of a city and to keep this area the kind of place people will want to move to like the article says from the OP.
That projects is used by our tax money and we voted for it. That user asked about government pork money used on certain projects in the city and around areas.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proleadership03 View Post
That projects is used by our tax money and we voted for it. That user asked about government pork money used on certain projects in the city and around areas.
The poster asked if our economy was re built using pork. I illustrated it was not by pork but by us voting in the measures. That is not to say Pueblo get no pork from the state and federal government but it was not instrumental in re-developing our economy after the economic collapse of the 80's.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:01 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,672,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The poster asked if our economy was re built using pork. I illustrated it was not by pork but by us voting in the measures. That is not to say Pueblo get no pork from the state and federal government but it was not instrumental in re-developing our economy after the economic collapse of the 80's.
Dunno smells like a lot of frying bacon to me.

In any case, in this silly dreamy survey about where people want to live, I am sure the barren brown flat splat of land called Pueblo is not what people envision in their Colorado dreams.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,994,804 times
CAVA1990 wrote:
Surprised Virginia isn't higher on the list. Great scenery, four seasons, plenty of water, mountains, ocean, Southern charm, American history, hunt country, uncrowded, fiscally responsible government, reasonable taxes, and one of the best economies in the nation right now. It's the complete package.
I lived in VA for 16 years before coming to Colorado, so I mostly share your sentiment with regard to Virginia. The thing that keeps VA out my personal top 10 is the HUMIDITY and just too many gray days. I prefer the drier air and the sunnier skies of Colorado. But you're right about the scenery, mountains, & water. And by far, VA is a much better run state than Colorado. Colorado could use someone like Mark Warner to straighten out the economy.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Dunno smells like a lot of frying bacon to me.

In any case, in this silly dreamy survey about where people want to live, I am sure the barren brown flat splat of land called Pueblo is not what people envision in their Colorado dreams.
We did vote for them so rather you like them or not since the voters had their say you can't say it was done with out our permission and isn't that what is always said. Just let the voters decide if we want the tax or not?

Pueblo is one of the reasons Colorado is on that list and the proof is CSU Pueblo. It is the fastest growing university in the state and one of the reasons is its location. Before students did not want to attend the University of Southern Colorado. Then it became Colorado State University - Pueblo with football and now students can get a Colorado State degree yet be in a city that has a warmer climate in the winter then the location of all the other major schools yet close to great skiing. The goal is to get the enrollment up to 10,000 students then you will really see the school take on a big role in the state's economic, research and political landscape. So while Pueblo might not be your idea of "Colorado" it is for many others who want to come to this state so they can be close to the mountains yet not live in them or deal with all the snow a city gets being in or near them.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:27 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,246,614 times
It doesn't matter whether it's pork you voted for or what was delivered to you by your Congressman, it still involves government expenditures. I'd also bet you also got some matching funds from the feds for some of those local initiatives. What I'm getting at is your economy is based on a high level of government expenditure relative to private enterprise. Please tell me what private companies are headquartered and/or have large numbers of employees there.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:33 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,467,952 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter whether it's pork you voted for or what was delivered to you by your Congressman, it still involves government expenditures. I'd also bet you also got some matching funds from the feds for some of those local initiatives. What I'm getting at is your economy is based on a high level of government expenditure relative to private enterprise. Please tell me what private companies are headquartered and/or have large numbers of employees there.
Well, not to defend Pueblo, but the whole state of Colorado feeds deeply at the federal trough. Take federal spending out of the Colorado economy, and most of Colorado Springs and a good chunk of Denver would disappear. And, that is highly likely to happen in this country's changing economic environment. We simply are not able to afford all the government we have, no matter how much we like it, and a bunch of it is going to go away. To think that Colorado will be spared is laughable--it won't be, and--because we over-rely upon government for our economic well-being, we are going to get hammered harder than a lot of places. Get ready.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:44 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,246,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I lived in VA for 16 years before coming to Colorado, so I mostly share your sentiment with regard to Virginia. The thing that keeps VA out my personal top 10 is the HUMIDITY and just too many gray days. I prefer the drier air and the sunnier skies of Colorado. But you're right about the scenery, mountains, & water. And by far, VA is a much better run state than Colorado. Colorado could use someone like Mark Warner to straighten out the economy.
Well we do need some gray days to make all that water. Denver's not exactly the sunniest spot in the country and not significantly sunnier than VA. It trails way behind San Francisco in that regard, according to this:

World Facts and Figures - Weather Facts and Statistics

You're right about the humidity but that's generally only a few weeks in the summer. This year we had very little, even when it was hot.

You can have Mark Warner. He's not doing a whole lot for us in the Senate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado