Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:12 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,498,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It doesn't matter whether it's pork you voted for or what was delivered to you by your Congressman, it still involves government expenditures. I'd also bet you also got some matching funds from the feds for some of those local initiatives. What I'm getting at is your economy is based on a high level of government expenditure relative to private enterprise. Please tell me what private companies are headquartered and/or have large numbers of employees there.
Keep in mind Pueblo is only 110,000 people as well.

Corporate headquarters in Pueblo (the ones I know of):

Loaf N Jug
The Water Company
The Professional Bull Riders (PBR)
Pueblo Bank and Trust - they are located in a few cities in Colorado
Big R Stores
Pueblo almost got a fortune 50 companies corporate HQ but the recession put that on hold. I was told it was going to be Hewlett Packard.

Some of Pueblo's largest private employers (that I know of):

Rocky Mountain Steel - over 1,000 people
Vesta's - will have 550 people
Trane Manufacturing - not sure how many people
Target DC
More companies at the airport industrial park including chemical companies and the Transportation Test Center that is a private and public research facility that is world known and the largest of its kind. So yes people want to move to Pueblo just like they want to move to Denver and Colorado Springs.

Last edited by Josseppie; 10-25-2010 at 10:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 11:08 AM

812 posts, read 1,472,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
the whole state of Colorado feeds deeply at the federal trough.
Is there a state that doesn't? Far as I can tell roughly in proportion to the amount of loud, visible griping a state and its population/politicians direct at the feds, between vast, self-serving gulps from the trough. Biting the hand that feeds is pretty characteristic of most of us though, starting pretty early. CO's certainly not unique that way.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:45 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,223,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Keep in mind Pueblo is only 110,000 people as well.
A brief list of other cities with comparable populations to Pueblo, CO.

Lansing, MI
Athens, GA
Victorville, CA
Gainesville, FL
Allentown, PA
Elgin, IL
Round Rock, TX
South Bend, IN
Green Bay, WI
Davenport, IA

Which is not to demean Pueblo in any way, but to put into perspective the kind of cities that may be more comparable to Pueblo in spite of Josseppie's enthusastic rhetoric. Pueblo certainly has much to offer, but it is by no means on it's way to becoming a Dallas, Atlanta or Baltimore, nevermind an anchor city such as New York, Los Angeles or Chicago.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
A brief list of other cities with comparable populations to Pueblo, CO.

Lansing, MI
Athens, GA
Victorville, CA
Gainesville, FL
Allentown, PA
Elgin, IL
Round Rock, TX
South Bend, IN
Green Bay, WI
Davenport, IA

Which is not to demean Pueblo in any way, but to put into perspective the kind of cities that may be more comparable to Pueblo in spite of Josseppie's enthusastic rhetoric. Pueblo certainly has much to offer, but it is by no means on it's way to becoming a Dallas, Atlanta or Baltimore, nevermind an anchor city such as New York, Los Angeles or Chicago.
Pueblo is the hub city of the Pueblo Region that is 20 counties in 2 states with over 400,000 people with a major university. Of the thousands of cities in the United States, not many can say that, so that puts Pueblo in the bracket of the top cities. In fact I don't think all the cities on your list can say they are the economic and political hub of a large geographic region.

That being said I know Pueblo will never be a NYC or Chicago or LA or Dallas and that's ok and to be honest I would not want it to be. My point was not to say that we are but to show that Pueblo is one of the reasons Colorado made the one of the top states people want to move to.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:18 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,023,133 times
josseppie wrote:
Pueblo is one of the reasons Colorado made the one of the top states people want to move to.
If we include the top 1000 reasons, then perhaps this might be true....coming in at reason #999.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
josseppie wrote:
Pueblo is one of the reasons Colorado made the one of the top states people want to move to.
If we include the top 1000 reasons, then perhaps this might be true....coming in at reason #999.
That's better then being reason 1,000!

Old 10-27-2010, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,204 times
Default Americans would most like to live

It is such a beautiful place so Americans would most like to live!!!!

Old 10-27-2010, 11:53 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,023,133 times
Default Beautiful scenery doesn't pay the bills!

bear costume wrote:
It is such a beautiful place so Americans would most like to live!!!!
Back in '86-'87 when the overall economy was much better than todays economy, I lived in Sedona Arizona, which is IMO one of the most beautiful locations on the planet. BUT...like the Colorado mountain towns, it is an expensive place to live and a difficult place to make a living. After a month or two of living there, I found myself thinking....Another day is paradise. So what! The scenery ain't paying my bills. Due to the financial stress, my wife and I and our daughter who was then just 5 yrs old, packed up and moved out of there after less than 6 months in beautiful, awe-inspiring Sedona. The combined realties of the high living costs and lack of income stressed us right out of paradise. Might be good to keep this possibility in mind for those of you who are dreaming about the beautiful scenery in Colorado. I'm not saying that you will quickly move on like I did, but the probability that you will is quite high....unless you bring a wheelbarrow of cash to tide you over until this economic sh*tstorm blows over.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 10-27-2010 at 12:11 PM..

Old 10-28-2010, 11:51 AM

363 posts, read 1,044,853 times
Actually in the lowest taxed state rankings. #1 is AK, #2 is WY, #3 is MI, #4 is PA and #5 is CO

Yahoo! Personal Finance: Calculators, Money Advice, Guides, & More

Old 02-26-2011, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 997 times
Northern Colorado ... I wish we never had to leave there. Five years ago we left for OR and then WA to take care of my mom, who was sick and who has since passed. Our going had to happen, of course, but I've missed CO ever since. I've probably whined every day since we left, and I spend a lot of time dreaming about going back. I talk to my adult children a lot about it (my youngest son lived there with us for a little while and LOVED it and wants to go back too) and hope I'll be able to show them how beautiful it is there one day. Hearing The Fray makes me weepy. I relate to the part in Rocky Mountain High where John Denver sings "He was born in the summer of his 27th year, Comin' home to a place he'd never been before." I often keep a tab on my computer open with a live cam shot of Denver and refresh it to check to see the weather and compare it to where we are which, being near Portland, is often cloudy ... so can you blame me? LOL! My husband and I have a new son and we are hoping to be able to raise him there ... I think he would love it, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado