Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2016, 10:37 AM

277 posts, read 518,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Portia View Post
Hello everyone, it's great to read the posts about land and building issues. Happy New Year 2016! I am currently looking at land and the building of a Yurt, as well. I would like to purchase the land within the next month or two, so reading of the posts and the information being given, is great! My plans are to go for a visit to the different sites that I've seen online. Some of the posts wrote about rattlesnakes, which areas of Colorado is that? I want to make sure that I stay out of that area...lol! I will continue to do my research on going solar and comparing the costs of that to conventional methods. Thank you in advance for any advice.
Hi - just read your post - I've been wanting to sell my 5.6 acre parcel in the San Luis Valley Ranches for a few years now but can't figure out how to do it ... bought it back in 2000 when I still had dreams of doing something with my life - now I don't really care ... just want to move back to NJ to be near family before I croak ... are you working with a real estate agent ... just wish I hadn't wasted money on buying something I will never use ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 01:11 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,963,535 times
Craigslist or Ebay might be your best bet. I don't know a local realtor who wants to deal with 5 acres of flat land. Not enough commission. Too much flat land.

I stopped at a local real estate agency about selling eight lots that I own. Secretary took my information and I never heard back. But this time of year is very bad for raw land sales. Only has has a small cabin.

I could sell tham on Craigslist or Ebay...and I might have to. My experience with people gets worse every year....so I'd kind of like to avoid dealing with them.

For the past few years, almost everybody has been either screwing me...or trying to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceg0720 View Post
Hi - just read your post - I've been wanting to sell my 5.6 acre parcel in the San Luis Valley Ranches for a few years now but can't figure out how to do it ... bought it back in 2000 when I still had dreams of doing something with my life - now I don't really care ... just want to move back to NJ to be near family before I croak ... are you working with a real estate agent ... just wish I hadn't wasted money on buying something I will never use ...

Old 01-10-2016, 09:37 AM

277 posts, read 518,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Craigslist or Ebay might be your best bet. I don't know a local realtor who wants to deal with 5 acres of flat land. Not enough commission. Too much flat land.

I stopped at a local real estate agency about selling eight lots that I own. Secretary took my information and I never heard back. But this time of year is very bad for raw land sales. Only has has a small cabin.

I could sell tham on Craigslist or Ebay...and I might have to. My experience with people gets worse every year....so I'd kind of like to avoid dealing with them.

For the past few years, almost everybody has been either screwing me...or trying to.
I'm almost tempted to walk away from this ... is that even possible? The county keeps raising the taxes each year and I'm getting really tired of paying for a place I will never visit or use. ..

Old 01-10-2016, 11:39 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceg0720 View Post
I'm almost tempted to walk away from this ... and I'm getting really tired of paying for a place I will never visit or use. ..
Which is why I implore people to not buy land, vacation or rental property here. IMO it's far better to just rent something when they want to visit and then walk away from it after a week or so. By renting someone else's mistake for a week or two you are free to try a different area of the state every visit and there are a lot of great areas in COLO (and nearby states) to visit.

I prefer to keep my retirement nest egg in our stock market accounts where we can see it grow, spend a bit of it now and then and not be tied to something that is very hard to unload. I can buy or sell stocks literally within 2-3 minutes on line; can't do that with real estate.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:29 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,933,478 times
You'd think that by my age I'd have ceased to be surprised by the number of people who hope to get something for nothing or the number of people whose knowledge of the West seems to stop with the passage of the Homestead Act of 1862. It would seem that a sizable segment of non-Westerners still believe the West is a place where cheap, arable land is to be had for the taking. If only. Even back in 1862, the land beyond the 100th meridian (ie most of the region we now refer to as "the West") was completely unsuited to agriculture as practiced east of the Mississippi. It was too dry; it is now too dry; and it continues to become only more dry and more inhospitable thanks to global warming. Even 160 acres was not enough to support a family back in the day of the pioneer, nor was even 640 acres. It required massive dam building on the part of the Feds and the construction of irrigation systems that carried water hundreds of miles from its original source in the high Rockies to the flatlands farms in Arizona and California (look how well that experiment is currently working out in California). The people who most benefited from all this were the owners of huge agricultural concerns, the big mining companies and some of the giant logging companies in the PNW. Everyone else was forced out by the Dust Bowl if not sooner.

Please, people please - keep in mind the old warning that "If it sounds too good to be true, it is." There are any number of good properties in the SLV, but they have the prices to match. Remember that when looking at land in the SLV. Visit before you buy. If you can't do even that much, don't expect others to have much sympathy for your plight.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:45 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,963,535 times
It hit -24F this morning. Coldest that I have seen by quite a bit. It is already nice and very sunny...though the temp still shows 4F. EDIT: 20 minutes later the temp has climbed to 11F. My sunroom is already well over 60F at 10:45am due to strong sunlight this morning.

This is the SLV flat lands for the 1000th time:
1) Dry and very sunny
2) Beautiful views in all directions
3) Very clean air and water
4) Normal requirements and fees for building permits. Good septic system is required. Well or cistern is required. Electricity or solar power is required. People can no longer camp indefinitely.
5) Shortage of good jobs
6) Cold winter nights. Summer days rarely hit 90F.
7) One of the largest water aquifers in N America. The water table usually starts at ~70' and extends to ~14,000'....though it gets tied up in rock at some point. Hitting water close to the mountains becomes more difficult. Hitting water in the mountains is hit or miss.
8) Possibility of strong winds. The American west is windy. What makes this place somewhat unique is the occasional super wind exceeding 60 mph. The Great Sand Dunes were created by strong winds.
9) Good county roads the vast majority of the time. The abundance of sand keeps conditions from being muddy and slippery.
10) Plenty of elbow room. It is common to have a mile in between each neighbors property.
11) Highway 160 and 285 cut right through it. Both are major highways. Alamosa has a Walmart, Sears, BigR, and Tractor Supply.
12) Almost surrounded by 14,000 mountains ranges.
13) Area is showing steady growth. The valley is huge ~ 100 x 70 miles in size.
13) Soil has plenty of sand, gravel, and potato sized rocks. Farmers due quite well with the plentiful sun and water. Many crops like this soil.
14) Extremely good for solar and wind power production. If you want on on-the-grid power supply...then build close to an existing power supply. Panels are cheap, batteries are high.
15) Would recommend that buyer ensures the availability of cell phone and internet service. Many areas are too remote to offer those services though satellite internet is always available.
16) This is not the Old West. Don't think you can do anything you want. Has a few similarities however. Free range grazing is still available in many areas though "neighbors" may not be happy. I have 30 free range horses within view quite often. They are owned by a neighbor that is 1.1 miles away.
17) This is not heaven. If it was real estate prices and taxes would be exorbitant. This is not hell though people love to hate on it. It is, more than anything else, sunny and dry.
18) Alamosa County would be the place for "city folks" who like plenty of government. The other counties have fewer restrictions.
19) If you want to be left alone, that is more possible than most places.
20) Land is generally worth ~ what the purchase price is. If you pay a couple thousand, don't expect more than that when you sell.

***If you can afford retirement, this may be a place to consider. If you need a good job, find it first or bring it with you if you can.

Last edited by ColoGuy; 01-11-2016 at 11:10 AM..

Old 01-18-2016, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,686 times
Thank you for the information....greatly appreciate it!

Old 01-29-2016, 09:42 AM

4 posts, read 6,870 times
Welcome 1Portia... It sounds like you and I are both looking at yurt living. Have you lived in one before? What are you planning on doing in this area for work? What part of the valley are you looking in? What kind of background do you have with this type of lifestyle? Buying land in the winter is fine but make sure you are aware of what it's like all year. Dont plan on building till the spring time as the ground is frozen right now. I'm a colorado native who is very active outdoors and although new to living in the valley I've seen very few rattlesnakes...lots of Gardner's and bull snakes though. It is a harsh environment to live in with many dangers and rewards but very doable with the right attitude and knowledge. Good luck with your adventures!

Old 01-30-2016, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,849 times
update.... much has changed in this area a lot of racism mostly by some locals in Costilla county not all of them but some state that all the land in that area belongs to them and they don't want no new land owners around. in videos on YouTube you can clearly see the types of ideas they express. very sad how things can turn out from one day to another. I cant express how much America is falling apart by ignorance.

I want to inform many of you not to give up on your dreams. I would like for you to face any barriers that might come your way. the problem is always the solution. all of America targets off-grid living and you know why... a new law has been pass that criminalizes any individual who attempt's to harvest rain water. most of these issues are because of the Colorado regulations on water. the rainfall droughts are man made ( just bear with me) 1. the Rio Grande river is being controlled from the top and within the river Colorado has a trade agreement with new Mexico, Utah, Texas, Kansas, Arizona, even California now I believe its very important that they honor that treaty. but what I don't agree on is the frauds and scams that the united state allows.

now let me show you the scam. it rains, water hits the ground and they control it and guide it to ditches lakes rivers to be stored or transported to water companies for then in turn sell the same water that left your property back to you and in Mexico they let it go to waste in the gulf of Mexico. this happens all over the world.

we can restore any desert to its original state. the san Luis valley in Colorado is a semi arid climate the key here is EVAPORATION.... EVAPORATION.... EVAPORATION... if I know this don't you think the USDA knows this... lets stop fighting each other and fight yourself. I am the only obstacle in my way.

world, I challenge you to grow one tree. I challenge you to learn permaculture build swales cover your eroded soil with grasses or cover crops, compose the soil to encourage good drainage for the water don't run off cover your ditches lakes swales with shaded trees to control evaporation you will see in one year to 4 years great change many of you in the san Luis valley will see seasonal creeks that you never that would exist the building permit situation with no less then 600 sq ft house that's a another strategy of fraud against the American people to stop them from building these small houses all out on the internet is bad business for the banks that keep us in debt.. is commonsense self sustainability is a big threat to the BOSS. a lot of people ask, should I buy land here my answer is absolutely especially if your awakened

the most brightest smartest individuals are here maybe not good writers. lol . I also cant stress to you how important it is for people to find something you believe in ether that being god or what ever. the reason being learn about electricity and you'll find energy. a lot happened in the valley Indians the Spanish the French and the English man a lot of curses hate and evil was done here. so find a good consciousness a good karma with yourself the land and your environment (you don't have to be the slaughterhouse worker to take in the blood sacrifice)

in permaculture you will learn that ten percent of what you grow you will put back into the soil. it will in return give you more then what you can consume, sale or trade give some to the needy remember currency is money it is also current it guides you it controls if you think your in control your very wrong. creation (or god or the good lord or whatever fits you) planted a seed we are much like the seed the soil the water the micro organism they believe they are in control too they fight they unify they give up and many other things but no matter what they do the apple tree gives apples not pears not bananas, apples. awaken leave the deception, suppression, depression, and corruption everything we do here we will leave for our children so again I say our only obstacle is ourselves.

your main focus should be reaching the egg don't be a waist of sperm. lol (no offense) oh and fence your property I know the county don't like fences. lol but to much livestock grazing in one spot depletes your vegetation that covers your soil.. so rotate your livestock.. utilize the no till technique and companion planting. plant flowers to attract bees and birds butterfly's which In return provides a great eco system. plant native trees ones you get the system established then move on to USDA climate zone guides this area has a 90- 110 day growing period.

if you look at my older post it contains the building info If you want to build a yurt camp or build under 600 sq ft or park a r.v. longer then 14 days the code enforcement will give you a fine and order you to move it within 10 days or you will receive criminal charges. I suggest you pull permits pay your access rights go by code and take your time.... its cheap land but it will cost you $25,000 on the lowest end to live in it. Average $50,000 small house.....

wish you all greatness and only the strong survive good luck...

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-30-2016 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: spacing

Old 03-20-2016, 03:19 PM

11 posts, read 32,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjohn81101 View Post
update.... much has changed in this area a lot of racism mostly by some locals in Costilla county not all of them but some state that all the land in that area belongs to them and they don't want no new land owners around. in videos on YouTube you can clearly see the types of ideas they express. very sad how things can turn out from one day to another. I cant express how much America is falling apart by ignorance.

I want to inform many of you not to give up on your dreams. I would like for you to face any barriers that might come your way. the problem is always the solution. all of America targets off-grid living and you know why... a new law has been pass that criminalizes any individual who attempt's to harvest rain water. most of these issues are because of the Colorado regulations on water. the rainfall droughts are man made ( just bear with me) 1. the Rio Grande river is being controlled from the top and within the river Colorado has a trade agreement with new Mexico, Utah, Texas, Kansas, Arizona, even California now I believe its very important that they honor that treaty. but what I don't agree on is the frauds and scams that the united state allows.

now let me show you the scam. it rains, water hits the ground and they control it and guide it to ditches lakes rivers to be stored or transported to water companies for then in turn sell the same water that left your property back to you and in Mexico they let it go to waste in the gulf of Mexico. this happens all over the world.

we can restore any desert to its original state. the san Luis valley in Colorado is a semi arid climate the key here is EVAPORATION.... EVAPORATION.... EVAPORATION... if I know this don't you think the USDA knows this... lets stop fighting each other and fight yourself. I am the only obstacle in my way.

world, I challenge you to grow one tree. I challenge you to learn permaculture build swales cover your eroded soil with grasses or cover crops, compose the soil to encourage good drainage for the water don't run off cover your ditches lakes swales with shaded trees to control evaporation you will see in one year to 4 years great change many of you in the san Luis valley will see seasonal creeks that you never that would exist the building permit situation with no less then 600 sq ft house that's a another strategy of fraud against the American people to stop them from building these small houses all out on the internet is bad business for the banks that keep us in debt.. is commonsense self sustainability is a big threat to the BOSS. a lot of people ask, should I buy land here my answer is absolutely especially if your awakened

the most brightest smartest individuals are here maybe not good writers. lol . I also cant stress to you how important it is for people to find something you believe in ether that being god or what ever. the reason being learn about electricity and you'll find energy. a lot happened in the valley Indians the Spanish the French and the English man a lot of curses hate and evil was done here. so find a good consciousness a good karma with yourself the land and your environment (you don't have to be the slaughterhouse worker to take in the blood sacrifice)

in permaculture you will learn that ten percent of what you grow you will put back into the soil. it will in return give you more then what you can consume, sale or trade give some to the needy remember currency is money it is also current it guides you it controls if you think your in control your very wrong. creation (or god or the good lord or whatever fits you) planted a seed we are much like the seed the soil the water the micro organism they believe they are in control too they fight they unify they give up and many other things but no matter what they do the apple tree gives apples not pears not bananas, apples. awaken leave the deception, suppression, depression, and corruption everything we do here we will leave for our children so again I say our only obstacle is ourselves.

your main focus should be reaching the egg don't be a waist of sperm. lol (no offense) oh and fence your property I know the county don't like fences. lol but to much livestock grazing in one spot depletes your vegetation that covers your soil.. so rotate your livestock.. utilize the no till technique and companion planting. plant flowers to attract bees and birds butterfly's which In return provides a great eco system. plant native trees ones you get the system established then move on to USDA climate zone guides this area has a 90- 110 day growing period.

if you look at my older post it contains the building info If you want to build a yurt camp or build under 600 sq ft or park a r.v. longer then 14 days the code enforcement will give you a fine and order you to move it within 10 days or you will receive criminal charges. I suggest you pull permits pay your access rights go by code and take your time.... its cheap land but it will cost you $25,000 on the lowest end to live in it. Average $50,000 small house.....

wish you all greatness and only the strong survive good luck...
So, if you were preparing your raw land for the future what would you suggest in particular? We are getting ready to level our building spot and put in a driveway this summer and were thinking of planting some trees, but with us not being there didn't think they would survive on their own. Is this possible? After we clear the sagebrush, what will keep it from growing back? I'm assuming there isn't anything you can plant that would survive without us watering it. Is there something we can do to the land in particular to make it a great site for the future with us not being there to babysit it? We have a decade to make it right for us, but we have to do it in baby steps since we are literally across the country.

For reference our property is around 8600' near Forbes Park. We visited it last May and love it. Gorgeous views in all directions. Everything we thought it would be and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado