Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 01:52 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
It is also a heavy carcinogen that impacts one health much more severely than cigarettes.
Wanneroo, there has never been a single study which has proven this. Indeed the studies involving cancer have shown that if anything, cannabis has been shown to slow down & even stop some cancers.

I would ask you to post links to these studies to show a definitive actual link between cannabis & cancer because not a single suspected correlation has ever been found.

From Scientific American:Large Study Finds No Link between Marijuana and Lung Cancer: Scientific American
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 04:11 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
Wanneroo, there has never been a single study which has proven this. Indeed the studies involving cancer have shown that if anything, cannabis has been shown to slow down & even stop some cancers.

I would ask you to post links to these studies to show a definitive actual link between cannabis & cancer because not a single suspected correlation has ever been found.

From Scientific American:Large Study Finds No Link between Marijuana and Lung Cancer: Scientific American
Incorrect. There are tons of studies out there that link cannabis use with cancer. A simple google search will get you started.

There is one study recently about cannabidiol, a compound in cannabis, that might be beneficial, but one study doesn't make it so.

From what I have seen people that partake in it over the long term end up with health problems at an early age, not to mention the effect on their brain. And I've seen users die at an early age from cancer and cannabis was about the only thing they indulged in.

People can do whatever they want. I don't consider it healthy and have never and will never use it, but if other people want to puff away have at it, as long as it's not in my space or I have to pay for their health issues.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:17 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Quote:
Incorrect. There are tons of studies out there that link cannabis use with cancer. A simple google search will get you started.

There is one study recently about cannabidiol, a compound in cannabis, that might be beneficial, but one study doesn't make it so.

From what I have seen people that partake in it over the long term end up with health problems at an early age, not to mention the effect on their brain. And I've seen users die at an early age from cancer and cannabis was about the only thing they indulged in.

People can do whatever they want. I don't consider it healthy and have never and will never use it, but if other people want to puff away have at it, as long as it's not in my space or I have to pay for their health issues.
The Scientific American is one of the most respected science magazines around. When they quote a study I listen. Now if you know of a equally large study published by a equally reputable source post the link as I would like to read it. Anyway in Colorado just like smoking they will not be allowed to smoke pot in restaurants or bars etc and honestly I am glad cus I would not want to deal with the smoke as I was trying to eat my dinner.....

Old 11-10-2012, 04:38 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,884,217 times
In my experience, prescription drugs have caused more harm in my family than cannabis.

No one is telling you that you should do it. You have the right not to do it. It should be taxed and regulated like cigs/alcohol/otc, etc.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:54 PM

19,053 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:

This may be the weakest debate argument I've ever read. You were provided with a link to one of the most prominent medical journals in America, and your response is basically, "nah man, check google"?

Old 11-10-2012, 05:44 PM

Weed (and pretty much most drugs) can do you harm if it is laced with something very dangerous and potent often tampered by those who sell and deal.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:19 PM

19,053 posts, read 13,968,817 times
^ sounds like a perfect argument for legalization, no?

Old 11-10-2012, 09:07 PM

Maybe.

All prescription drugs, alcohol and cigs have warning labels, ingredients, content, etc so the user would know what they're consuming. The same can be done with weed.

You're better off knowing what you're consuming rather than dealing with shady dealers.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:13 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
Weed (and pretty much most drugs) can do you harm if it is laced with something very dangerous and potent often tampered by those who sell and deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
^ sounds like a perfect argument for legalization, no?
No it sounds like a good reason to legalize it.
This removes it from the hands of shady illegal drug dealers.

Are your cigarets laced with PCB or herion?
Well they could be if you got them off the street from your heroin dealer.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:12 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,466 times
Quote:

Wanneroo, I'm well versed in the studies out there. Been a techie since I was a kid so finding information is not foreign to me. You must be referring to the Australian or New Zealand studies. Two of the most rabid anti-cannabis propaganda machines in the world. Or perhaps Joe Califano at NCASA. The NCASA is specifically tasked with generating scary information about drugs. Their mission is to deglamorize & scare people as much as possible and that is what their published studies consist of. The govt & DEA pretty much forbid any serious research that isn't geared toward finding dangers. They will not supply any reseacher with cannabis unless they are trying to prove it dangerous. And the DEA requires that only they may supply the cannabis for all "legitimate" studies done in the US. They have done this repeatedly over the decades and that is part of their modus operandi. The Tashkin study results were stumbled upon by the Dr because he was also looking for danger & instead found surprising positives.

Now I'm sure nobody can dispute what you see, but others see & have different experiences and yours does not automatically just "make it so". If that was the case, you are being vastly underpaid in your line of work. Given the initial wave of MMJ laws in CA in 1996 and 17 other states + DC since then, and recreational legalization on the ballot in the last midterms & this year, why wouldn't that have been blown up into a huge part of the opposition to the legalization initiatives in WA, CO, and OR? Nine DEA heads spoke up and begged Holder to speak out about it and got silence in return.

The federal govt estimates that there are between 30M & 50M regular cannabis users in the US with use ranging from daily monthly. Where are all the bodies? Do yo seriously believe that if it were a specific proven cause of cancer in users, that it wouldn't have been publicized and used regularly by not only the ONDCP, Drug Free America, PDFA, ? I mean, that's the sole mission of those organizations, that's their only purpose in life. IN addition, the AMA would all over it if a positive link was found. It hasn't been. The major medical organizations in this country want the govt to reschedule cannabis to a lower level (like Sched 2 or 3) to facilitate more research because the research that exists are all harm studies and they want to research beneficial aspects as well. But the govt doesn't allow those aspects to be studies, because that threatens their prohibition of the substance.

I provided a link by a credible, respected, non-biased organization that was reporting the results of a govt sponsored study that went awry because it found positives instead of negatives about cannabis. Can you provide a link to published study from a non-biased source proving a definite link between cannabis & cancer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado