Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 01:32 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Are you at all aware of how many jobs legal weed is creating? Many stoners wouldn't mind a job in that industry. And more going into that industry would in turn leave job vacancies in other industries.

But I fear so many moving there for their best medical help could indeed make most places unaffordable.
I would really like to know how many "real" jobs weed is creating? I don't see any farmers plowing up corn or soy for weed. Outside of some retail jobs selling it, I just don't see weed as a massive cash crop. Unless you consider working min wage in a head shop a real job. To be honest when most tourists realize how $$$ it is to buy from a shop and the fact they still cant just walk around and smoke anywhere, or their hotel unless its a dump, they will have saved hundreds by just buying it back home from their local dealer. The wow factor will wear off pretty quickly. In my experience, most real jobs require a drug test anyway.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
No worries sammy, your taxes are more likely going to corporate welfare, and the war machine, with perhaps a few pennies trickling down to the not so productive members of society.
That's cool because the war machine includes, Boeing, Lockheed, Ratheon, Ball Aerospace, Rockwell, you know real jobs with engineers that developed crazy stuff like GPS, micro processers, more efficient jet turbines, avionics, electronics, rockets, research development etc....and those jobs pay pretty well where you can buy a home, pay property tax, sales tax and that money goes to schools, pays teachers salaries, etc..Once they commercialize the DOD side of the war machine, then its passed onto the consumer, but yeah im sure those in the weed industry are doing their part.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:03 PM

356 posts, read 624,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
That's cool because the war machine includes, Boeing, Lockheed, Ratheon, Ball Aerospace, Rockwell, you know real jobs with engineers that developed crazy stuff like GPS, micro processers, more efficient jet turbines, avionics, electronics, rockets, research development etc....and those jobs pay pretty well where you can buy a home, pay property tax, sales tax and that money goes to schools, pays teachers salaries, etc..Once they commercialize the DOD side of the war machine, then its passed onto the consumer, but yeah im sure those in the weed industry are doing their part.
I love all those advancements too however, couldn't we have devoloped the same without propping up the War State? Not an arguement just a valid question.

Seems to me we use our troops as test rats, while we fine tune the "next best thing" before we deploy it in the civilian world. I'd like to see the engineers and civilians (at their choosing) to test, like they did the Golden Gate Bridge.

You can create jobs outside of DOD.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCO5280 View Post
I love all those advancements too however, couldn't we have devoloped the same without propping up the War State? Not an arguement just a valid question.

Seems to me we use our troops as test rats, while we fine tune the "next best thing" before we deploy it in the civilian world. I'd like to see the engineers and civilians (at their choosing) to test, like they did the Golden Gate Bridge.

You can create jobs outside of DOD.
I agree, while it would be nice to do it that way, however no private company would ever take on that type of investment w/o govt funding. It would just never happen. Eisenhower said the military industrial complex was the single most important thing to American prosperity. Name a single great civilization in history that did not have the most modern and efficient military.

The great works projects in the 30's while they put people to work, they did nothing to create revenue and strengthen the economy. Most economists believe they did more to further the depression than to help it. The Lend Lease Act and Marshall plan did more to advance the economy than any govt works program. By the end of WW2 the US was just as broke as it was when the war started. They were being forced into civilian sponsorship.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:30 PM

356 posts, read 624,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I agree, while it would be nice to do it that way, however no private company would ever take on that type of investment w/o govt funding. It would just never happen. Eisenhower said the military industrial complex was the single most important thing to American prosperity. Name a single great civilization in history that did not have the most modern and efficient military.

The great works projects in the 30's while they put people to work, they did nothing to create revenue and strengthen the economy. Most economists believe they did more to further the depression than to help it. The Lend Lease Act and Marshall plan did more to advance the economy than any govt works program. By the end of WW2 the US was just as broke as it was when the war started. They were being forced into civilian sponsorship.
I agree as well, I'd just like to see the military advancements to protect our interests at home, minus the war aspect. However, we've always used war to spark our economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado