Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 12:39 PM

14 posts, read 61,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpaullow View Post
This is so funny, I just typed in I hate colorado (which I dont hate, per say) and was shocked to find many others that kind of feel the same way I do. Here is my story...there are really things I like about Colorado, but almost feel like I am on the Truman Show here...Route 25 goes north and south and thats pretty much where you go. The second thing I do not like about it, is the fact that there are not any trees. I am from Chicago and thought I would not miss anything about it when I left, but I miss the trees and rolling hills (not mountains). Also, the people here are so rude and unfriendly. For example, many times if I go into a public place, and say hello, I will just get a weird look, like is she talking to me? I mean really. They cut you off in traffic, never smile and just seem to be very unhappy. I am glad to know it is not just me. Anyway, in a nutshell, here is my situation: I have lived here for five years now, with my husband and we are both originally from Chicago. I have tried desparately to get him to want to move back home to be closer to family, but he is pretty much obsessed with it here and really refuses to even talk about it. What do I do to persuade him? I need other ideas to make him come to his senses about leaving? I really do not want to have children here, especially without my family, lack of nice people and trees. Any suggestions would help...
So sorry you are unhappy with your situation there. I Have been in you're shoes before. My story; I was raised in CO. , had to leave when parents moved us to IL. I was there 11 years before getting back to CO. I know what you mean about the trees. I really liked the forest preserves they had in the Chicago suburbs. (Was in the western suburbs). Each move I had to start over again, making new friends, finding things to do that I enjoyed etc. Luckily I had children so they kept me busy too. The thing is, even up by Chicago I had trouble with people being rude, weird & just plain scary. I have since moved so many times I felt maybe I could offer a few suggestions. Like missing trees; I found going for a drive into the mountains & finding a special place with trees that I could get out and sit or walk around in, helped a lot. I would sketch, listen to the birds & just enjoy the sun on my face. Finding a peace there that wasn't in the city was good medicine for me. Just like in Chicago I had to ignore the rude people in cars & elsewhere. (I sure learned defensive driving around Chicago Making new friends is tough unless you are outgoing in attitude. Joining a group of people with similar interests helps, or just going to an event where like minded people are. Many small towns in CO. still have the 'wave' with a smile. Maybe you would be more comfortable living in one? I love the small mountain towns, they also seem to feel safer & you definitely meet people quicker. My/our family is mostly in CO. & we have been away for close to 5 years this time. We are trying to move back soon. We make yearly trips back to see family. It just takes time to realize how much you miss family, for some people. Patience ( my worst virtue) is tried a lot. Hanging in there is the motto. Some people just need to try out the waters (the reason for this move here). It would have been worse (in my way of thinking) to have put my foot down & said no to this move we made here. I didn't want to be a block to his dream of many years. He has made compromises for me & my family & I love him even more for that. So your future is in the way you handle things now. If you get pushy now about going back, you may regret it later. If you can be patient & take trips back for a few yrs.(or less!) things may work out. Usually the "grass is greener" effect wears off in a couple of years wherever you have moved to. I wish you the best, Homesick in Alaska
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 06:15 PM

14 posts, read 73,621 times
Access to nature has always been at the top of my list. From many locales, all you have to you have to do is step outside and enjoy the mountains. I grew up on the west side of Boulder, where a five minute walk had me hiking in the foothills, plenty of natural solitude. (It is harder to find the solitude now..)

Old 04-06-2009, 11:17 PM

220 posts, read 775,341 times
I would offer this: if you are one who loves the natural world, this is the place for you. On our 12-mile ride to boulder, we stare at the most amazing mountain silhouette with Mt. Meeker, Chiefs Head, the foothills and the Continental Divide, which I call the "back 9". In addition, I noted the other day just how many forms of wildlife are seen on the one ride: horses, two Brahma bulls, a camel, a clydesdale, long-horn cattle, regular old cows, sheep, goats, alpaca, prarie dogs, hawks, rabbits and the occasional coyote! All in one ride. That is heavenly for me as I stare in wonder at the beauty that is life here to the east of the mountains. Never mind the trips up boulder canyon to Estes, up Independence Pass, over Route 70 past Vail, up 287 in the wind tunnel preceding Wyoming, over to Mt. Evans or Pikes Peak or through Ward and up the back roads.

If you explore, there is much to see. If you're a stay-at-home type of person, then perhaps a yard in suburban wherever is enough for you and there is nothing wrong with that. You only get one trip through this wonderland, so to sit idly is not for me. There is simply too much to see and do here in CO. I spent literally thousands of hours on the ocean and back bays of Long Island and drove every inch of it and most of the east coast. If they ever make a tool that can see in your mind's eye, I will have some story to tell, so you better get comfy...

Old 04-07-2009, 08:11 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,403,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemental View Post
I would offer this: if you are one who loves the natural world, this is the place for you. On our 12-mile ride to boulder, we stare at the most amazing mountain silhouette with Mt. Meeker, Chiefs Head, the foothills and the Continental Divide, which I call the "back 9". In addition, I noted the other day just how many forms of wildlife are seen on the one ride: horses, two Brahma bulls, a camel, a clydesdale, long-horn cattle, regular old cows, sheep, goats, alpaca, prarie dogs, hawks, rabbits and the occasional coyote! All in one ride. That is heavenly for me as I stare in wonder at the beauty that is life here to the east of the mountains. Never mind the trips up boulder canyon to Estes, up Independence Pass, over Route 70 past Vail, up 287 in the wind tunnel preceding Wyoming, over to Mt. Evans or Pikes Peak or through Ward and up the back roads.

If you explore, there is much to see. If you're a stay-at-home type of person, then perhaps a yard in suburban wherever is enough for you and there is nothing wrong with that. You only get one trip through this wonderland, so to sit idly is not for me. There is simply too much to see and do here in CO. I spent literally thousands of hours on the ocean and back bays of Long Island and drove every inch of it and most of the east coast. If they ever make a tool that can see in your mind's eye, I will have some story to tell, so you better get comfy...
Not to pick nits, but only a non-native[mod cut]would call "horses, two Brahma bulls, a camel, a clydesdale, long-horn cattle, regular old cows, sheep, goats, (and) alpacas" "wildlife." They are domesticated livestock. There is a big difference between wildlife and livestock, both aesthetically and legally.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 04-07-2009 at 11:22 AM..

Old 04-07-2009, 09:51 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,162,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Not to pick nits, but only a non-native [mod cut] would call "horses, two Brahma bulls, a camel, a clydesdale, long-horn cattle, regular old cows, sheep, goats, (and) alpacas" "wildlife." They are domesticated livestock. There is a big difference between wildlife and livestock, both aesthetically and legally.
A little harsh, don't you think?

Elemental was just expressing appreciation for having such a beautiful area to live in. I would think you could agree with and commend him/her for that instead of just belittling him/her for having lived in more than one place for his/her entire life.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 04-07-2009 at 11:22 AM..

Old 04-07-2009, 10:16 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,136,945 times
Quote:
Not to pick nits, but only a non-native [mod cut] would call "horses, two Brahma bulls, a camel, a clydesdale, long-horn cattle, regular old cows, sheep, goats, (and) alpacas" "wildlife." They are domesticated livestock. There is a big difference between wildlife and livestock, both aesthetically and legally.
Are you sure camels and alpacas aren't native to CO?

Last edited by katzenfreund; 04-07-2009 at 11:23 AM..

Old 04-07-2009, 10:31 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,953,515 times
good post elemental. For the sake of your sanity, learn to pay only scant attention to jazzlover. He is the self-sppointed Curmudgeonly Colo. native of the Colorado forum....but we love him anyway.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:28 AM

5,161 posts, read 11,410,247 times
Let's please stay on the topic and not discuss other posters.

It is a good idea to be mindful of what you post... while some members that have been around for a while get to know each other and know what is meant as a joke or a tease, some "newbies" don't know and it is easy to misunderstand the intentions of others when you only read a post and don't see body language, a smile etc.

Thank you!

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-09-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Not to pick nits, but only a non-native[mod cut]would call "horses, two Brahma bulls, a camel, a clydesdale, long-horn cattle, regular old cows, sheep, goats, (and) alpacas" "wildlife." They are domesticated livestock. There is a big difference between wildlife and livestock, both aesthetically and legally.
Native Shmative. It's about life(native or not). Do you think the clydesdale cares about your delineation? He does not speak english, understand how he is not livestock, wildlife or what aesthetically means... and he makes me smile.

Last edited by elemental; 04-09-2009 at 11:00 PM..

Old 04-09-2009, 10:34 PM

Yestereday, I passed the Brama bulls and was saddened to see one of them was clearly suffering from arthritis. When I first laid eyes on him about 4 years back, he was quite a specimen. It reminded me how quickly things change and I was truly saddened by his deteriorating state. Moreover, jazzlover's post made it ring truer that some people waste time denigrating others over trivialities and waste precious time.

While driving today, I took note of how fire renews an area as well. The barr ditches have all been burned clean and the greenest grass and growth was along the fully burned area. Nature is amazing.

Just realized that jazzlover actually put me down with a non-native quip. What tribe are your decendents from? American Indians are the only true natives. You are simply the decendent of a settler just as I. Do not put yourself on a higher plane for we are all equal.. God does not love you more!

Last edited by elemental; 04-09-2009 at 10:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado