Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 03:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
I am having mixed feelings about Colorado but it really isn't Colorado's fault. I am extremely homesick. ... I am glad we ended up in Colorado. I am pretty sure the place will grow on me. I hope you are somewhere safe now with Irma on the way!

Before Alaska, we lived in Minnesota and that is one state I would definitely go back to in the future. I agree with you on the Mid-west lifestyle.
Hope you can endure and find your 'spot'. really depends on WHERE in a state you fit... coming from Homer, AK would be a stretch to replicate in CO, but possible.

I too really like MN, but don't see it as LT potential relocation. (It too has specific areas that fit much better than others). I like 'community', and appreciate vast housing areas without privacy fencing. In MN it is nice to walk to your neighbor's yard and pick some rhubarb (Without asking!) It's EXPECTED!

CO has a LOT of transplants, which gives it a step up to find accepting friends in most locations.

Generally, if you integrate into a welcoming community, you can find yourself "at home".

Not all communities are welcoming (found that quite pronounced in CO, WY, and TX). But there are 'gems' of communities that will hold you a spot, and embrace your family.

Left coast seems to accept all comers. Oregon has pockets of resistance / NIMBY.

FL... Very crowded and showing signs of filling up. Quite a lot of facilities are worn out, vacation spots jammed and service declining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 01:19 PM

22,855 posts, read 6,437,988 times
Have lived in Ohio, California and Georgia but prefer Colorado.

Lived in Craig, Pueblo and Pueblo West.

We have 1+ acre lots in our area. One close neighbor is from Ohio like me,
another from Minnesota where my husband has relatives.

Moved to Colorado in 1981.....been in this house since 2005.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:58 AM

1,951 posts, read 2,298,854 times
I have lived in WA, OH, TX , NM , PA , MD and I Prefer Colorado . just closed on my house , will be moving again not sure where in Colorado yet. Not Aurora...nope ..nope

Old 09-15-2017, 09:14 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
I have lived in WA, OH, TX , NM , PA , MD and I Prefer Colorado . just closed on my house , will be moving again not sure where in Colorado yet. Not Aurora...nope ..nope
If you can afford it, there is a nice area of Aurora by the 470 freeway. We use to go by that area when going to DIA and a few other places off of the 470.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:18 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
If you can afford it, there is a nice area of Aurora by the 470 freeway. We use to go by that area when going to DIA and a few other places off of the 470.
That's where I live, and I love it. Beautiful views, rolling hills, good schools, and easy access to highways, the airport, and the city. But not that affordable.

Last edited by Gorges; 09-15-2017 at 10:53 AM..

Old 09-15-2017, 10:57 AM

1,951 posts, read 2,298,854 times
right now in Buckeye AZ west of Phoenix everything is affordable huge homes huge yards, pools , in the 200 k to 300 k range but who would want to live there ?....Castlewood canyon south of Parker now thats a nice area ...

Old 09-18-2017, 08:37 AM

14 posts, read 23,852 times
Hi all -

Thanks for the thoughts.

We evacuated for Hurricane Irma and stayed with my in-laws in Michigan. We were unable to get a flight back right away, so we ended up being there for ~10 days.

After being back in our home state of Michigan, attending a wedding, visiting a friend's new baby and catching up with old friends, we've decided the Midwest is where we belong. We are hoping to move back in the next year. We've found that all of our time off and vacation funds have gone to flying 'home' for visits and we haven't been able to take any other trips. We think we would be able to travel and adventure more if our home base was close to family and friends.

Colorado, I'll see you for my next vacation.

Best,
M

Old 09-18-2017, 08:59 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
mmt52, now there's a straightforward, reasonable, and heartfelt reason to choose a place!

Thanks for the follow up.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:52 AM

5 posts, read 5,656 times
For all those people comparing Colorado to the Midwest, Colorado is NOT part of the Midwest. Colorado culture is very different (some people have commented on the "live and let live" mentality and lack of open friendliness - that goes back to the mountain man days where you didn't make friends with the newcomers because they most likely wouldn't last the first winter).

The main problem in Colorado is the sheer number of people who have moved here over the past 10 years. Like the outdoors? Trails, ski resorts, national parks are so overcrowded it is literally ruining the environment. Flocking to the mountains over the weekend is such a fad, even in the summer the drive takes hours now.

Prices have become outrageous, housing in particular, and locals do not want to hear how "reasonable" these prices are compared to California and New York.

Perhaps some of the lack of friendliness people experience comes from locals being pushed out by people who think they can move to Colorado and "make it their own". The number of people moving here are ruining the local culture, environment, and beauty.

For the sake of the rest of us, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:13 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuQiuAi19 View Post
For all those people comparing Colorado to the Midwest, Colorado is NOT part of the Midwest. Colorado culture is very different (some people have commented on the "live and let live" mentality and lack of open friendliness - that goes back to the mountain man days where you didn't make friends with the newcomers because they most likely wouldn't last the first winter).

The main problem in Colorado is the sheer number of people who have moved here over the past 10 years. Like the outdoors? Trails, ski resorts, national parks are so overcrowded it is literally ruining the environment. Flocking to the mountains over the weekend is such a fad, even in the summer the drive takes hours now.

Prices have become outrageous, housing in particular, and locals do not want to hear how "reasonable" these prices are compared to California and New York.

Perhaps some of the lack of friendliness people experience comes from locals being pushed out by people who think they can move to Colorado and "make it their own". The number of people moving here are ruining the local culture, environment, and beauty.

For the sake of the rest of us, I suggest you look elsewhere.
Well, as long as there are cities and towns with a lot less people and crime than here, rodeo's, Bull and Cow Elk, nice county fairs and a great State Fair, nice freshwater lakes w/beautiful Rainbow Trout to catch, cattle and horses grazing, a nice livestock auction (Centennial), parades and downtown Denver Christmas Parade/Celebration. Yes, we know what was there when we left in late 2007 and still is there.

If we wind up coming back to live again, all of those things will still be a part of the Front Range/Eastern Slope and we'll love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado