Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 11:58 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Easier to have that without daily freeze/thaw cycles.
I'm thinking it is because MOST Texans never seem to ever get Colorado plates and are sending their vehicle taxes/fees back home to Texas where they say they live (a scam).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 03:36 PM

385 posts, read 324,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
I disagree with the "might as well be Texas."

Have you driven on Texas roads?

Most likely not as those roads are beautiful and well taken care of.

You must be referring to the toll roads in Texas. Texas has no solution to urban sprawl and traffic, except build another toll road. Texans can brag about having no state income tax, all the while they shell out wads for cash for extraodinarily high property taxes and for commuting to work on toll roads.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:47 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,843 times
I wonder what percentage of the CO leavers are retirees seeking warmer climates? Seems like a lot of the older folks I meet are headed to FL, AZ or TX after years of living in CO.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:33 PM

4,032 posts, read 2,717,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I wonder what percentage of the CO leavers are retirees seeking warmer climates? Seems like a lot of the older folks I meet are headed to FL, AZ or TX after years of living in CO.
Having dealt with the heat and humidity of the Southeast, and the blasting heat of the Southwest, I am not much of a mindset to go back to either most days....

.....and then freezing cold days like today happen, where I sit there and think, "The retirees have the right idea...."

Old 12-07-2017, 07:18 PM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Having dealt with the heat and humidity of the Southeast, and the blasting heat of the Southwest, I am not much of a mindset to go back to either most days....

.....and then freezing cold days like today happen, where I sit there and think, "The retirees have the right idea...."
I look forward to being a retiree in a relatively cold climate. When it's down to single digits, I'll just stay in. It's having to go out (to work) that makes weather such an issue, for me. Right now, as I tick down to 53 days until retirement, I look forward to never spending another summer on the muggy East Coast again, hauling myself outside to go to work, noticing that the car a/c has croaked again, the work a/c being very erratic, and people running around saying how great it is that it's summer. Having to power wash the house because it's getting mildewed.

I'll take single digits any day, just curl up with the mutts and a good book.

I just got an invite for any winter to Vero Beach, Florida, should I get tired of single digits. I forgot that a good friend goes there every winter and has three bedrooms. Dunno- it might still feel too muggy!

Old 12-07-2017, 10:24 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
I agree that most people who have never visited Colorado understand that a third of the state is plains, but I absolutely disagree that most people think Denver/ Front Range is Colorado. In fact quite the opposite. Most people who haven’t visited think Colorado is Aspen, not Denver.
True that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
As a fellow Colorado resident, I have to disagree 100%. Fortunately, most of Colorado's population agrees with me.
I don't agree that it's Texas, but it is somewhere that is a lot more incredibly plain than Colorado's marketing department would have you believe.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:02 AM

767 posts, read 1,322,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
I'm thinking it is because MOST Texans never seem to ever get Colorado plates and are sending their vehicle taxes/fees back home to Texas where they say they live (a scam).
This is commonplace because I’m told that vehicle and truck registration fees are lower in Texas. I have neighbors who maintain a P.O. box in Dalhart and use that to keep their Texas registrations.

Quote:
Easier to have that without daily freeze/thaw cycles.
Kansas has the same cycles and has better roads as well, and KDOT is underfunded. I wore shorts two days ago and today it’s 10 - Feels like 0. Colorado isn’t the only state with a wide variety of weather.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:57 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
This is commonplace because I’m told that vehicle and truck registration fees are lower in Texas. I have neighbors who maintain a P.O. box in Dalhart and use that to keep their Texas registrations.

Kansas has the same cycles and has better roads as well, and KDOT is underfunded. I wore shorts two days ago and today it’s 10 - Feels like 0. Colorado isn’t the only state with a wide variety of weather.
I lived in eastern Kansas for 5 years. Not the same. Not as frequent and not as dramatic.

Also you don’t have the massive amount of semis using chains tearing up the steep mountain roads.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:34 PM

235 posts, read 355,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
Which actually is illegal. If their primary residence is in Colorado, after establishing residency, they are required to get a Colorado drivers license within 30 days and register their vehicles in state within 90 days of relocating to the state. And if they don't it's a big fine.

Those new residents who don't are straight up stealing from the state & residents of Colorado & I for one have no problem calling them in. Pay up or go home.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/new-colorado-0

Old 12-24-2017, 12:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Which actually is illegal. If their primary residence is in Colorado, after establishing residency, they are required to get a Colorado drivers license within 30 days and register their vehicles in state within 90 days of relocating to the state. And if they don't it's a big fine.

Those new residents who don't are straight up stealing from the state & residents of Colorado & I for one have no problem calling them in. Pay up or go home.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/new-colorado-0
Our state keeps a “squealer” hot line, you should see if CSP will offer you a reward for reporting offenders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado