Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 01:39 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
We save our pitchforks for Texans and Californians.
Ouch!

Last edited by Bideshi; 11-07-2009 at 02:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 06:42 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
They eventually come around, even for those of us who out ourselves via username.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:16 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Whatever you do, don't admit to being a FIB. Some Wisconsinites have been moving here, and they'll run you out of town with pitchforks if they find out you came from Chicago.

Colorado natives won't mind you too much. We save our pitchforks for Texans and Californians.
How do you balance the pitchforks and torches while riding that broom? Hey, that thing got a hemi?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:28 PM

302 posts, read 864,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post

I think continuing to learn and grow sets a good example for children. Learning doesn't stop just because one has a Bachelor's degree. Colorado offers many opportunities for motivated people to pursue their educational dreams.
I agree. I was focused on school for a long while, and not a hard core soccer mom. I was worried this would negative affect my daughter's school performance, but it turns out she really just copies what her parents are doing because she thinks it's cool and the thing to do. She likes kickboxing/martial arts like her father and studying/reading like I do so as a result she's athletic and 10 points ahead of goal in all her subjects.

Really kind of underscores the importance of being a role model for your kids. Make no mistake-they're watching.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:44 AM

32 posts, read 88,138 times
Default Colorado transplants what is your opinion

hello, we picked up and moved our family from nj to highlands ranch in july. we just LOVE it here!!! we got tired of the cost of living in nj and after several months of research of deciding where would be the best place for us, we decided on highlands ranch. the weather is beautiful, the people are so nice, the schools are tops. we love the rec centers, and all the things to do in the denver area. we are very happy here. if you are reading this and deciding about whether to move here or not, we would highly recommend it!
to mcazbe--if you happen to read this, we would still like to meet up for that coffee!

Old 11-09-2009, 10:19 AM

619 posts, read 2,199,576 times
I saw the thread title and smacked my forehead about not getting back to you on the coffee. I'll dust off your message and we'll set something up!

But in response to the thread itself - we couldn't agree more! Best decision we ever made, although it was hard to take the plunge. I've gotten the impression there is less of a difference between other parts of the country and here, but in NJ there are NO rec centers, NO open spaces woven into neighborhoods, and a family-unfriendly vibe that you don't really pick up on until you've experienced what family-friendly feels like. Don't get me wrong - there are things I love about Jersey, but it's so much better here for raising kids while not a millionaire!

So glad you're happy with your move - and can't wait to meet you in person soon!

Old 11-09-2009, 01:06 PM

5 posts, read 24,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric81 View Post
I got a job with Intel Corp after leaving the military in 2005 and have been here ever since. My only beef with Colorado is the fact that it seems to be a hugely family oriented state. Also, it seems as if alot of folks that live here are oddly detached and are not interested in making new friends with others. I, like one of the posters above, am in search of somewhere with at least a decent dating potential for single guys where the women (and men too for that matter) are generally friendly, outgoing, and open minded with regards to wanting to meet new folks. Another thing that I have observed is it seems as if everyone is extremely competitive here. For example, just look at some of the cyclists on the trails here. They are not out to enjoy themselves, but to see how fast they can go (and try to run over in my case) in order to see if they can be the next Lance Armstrong. Don't get me wrong, there are a******s and jerks everywhere including the southeast where I am from, but it just seems that they are alot more prevalent here in CO. And yes, people in Missouri, Illinois, Kansas, and Texas are a heck of alot more down to earth than people here in Colorado. I find it very refreshing to stop for rest, gas etc in eastern Kansas and Missouri when on my way to visit family in TN. People will actually say hello and are polite in those states and it feels like I have walked into another world after being here for months on end! Very refreshing to say the least!
Well, here's the thing...all these things are true and accurate but it didn't used to be this way, and that's why so many of us Colorado natives have such disdain for people moving to Colorado.

We've seen it all - the New Yorker migration, the Texas migration, the California migration, you name it, we've seen it. With each little influx we see people who stay and a lot who leave. The ones who stay become "Coloradoans" and they represent us to the tourists and the ones who leave go tell their next neighbors how beautiful Colorado is and how unfriendly the people here are.

For the most part these aren't true Coloradoans people talk negatively about. This used to be a friendly state - and in some areas it still is. We used to be welcoming, but not so much anymore. Folks in some of our neighboring states - Wyoming, for instance - look at us with disgust when we pass through because they've been exposed to a lot of cars with Colorado license plates, driven by people who haven't been in the state for more than a few years or months. They drive like I-25 is their personal autobahn and in so many cases, if you look beyond the "Respect Life" plate on the bumper, you'll see a dealer sticker from Santa Monica or Burbank or some like place.

If I hear, "It wasn't this way where we lived in in California" just once more, I'm going to vomit.

Yeah, we're jerks and not so down to earth anymore. In fact, I can't even stand us. If it wouldn't make me a hypocrite I'd move to another state.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:19 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,410 times
this thread is bizarre. here in AZ, we have Californians flocking as well, even Texans! I've lived here 16 years and Scottsdale looks like West Hollywood with a desert feel..nobody gets angry at the Californians for doing that!

why can't well just get along? just avoid the mean transplants who act like they own the place..but you know what? even natives anywhere don't own any place besides the home you live in so maybe both parties are to blame? maybe its just me though..

Either way, I haven't met very many Coloradoans, but the few I have met have been very nice..especially the men, but maybe it has something to do with me being a girl, haha

Old 11-09-2009, 01:26 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Spud View Post
We've seen it all - the New Yorker migration, the Texas migration, the California migration, you name it, we've seen it... If it wouldn't make me a hypocrite I'd move to another state.
The main difference between most 'native' Coloradans and people from states like CA, NY and TX is that the CO folks seem to think that they're uniquely challenged in seeing a significant influx of people from other places, wheras people from TX, NY and CA just figure it's life and don't carry on about it incessantly.

There's no drawbridge on the migration highway. Even if there were, what makes you think that it should have gone up after you or your family arrived?

Old 11-09-2009, 01:52 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
treedonkey wrote:
The main difference between most 'native' Coloradans and people from states like CA, NY and TX is that the CO folks seem to think that they're uniquely challenged in seeing a significant influx of people from other places, wheras people from TX, NY and CA just figure it's life and don't carry on about it incessantly.

No better way to say it! You summed it up very nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado