Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 03:23 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
I just completed a short trip to the mountains mid-state. It was pretty breathtaking visually on the whole, I admit that. But after like 15 minutes, my girlfriend and I were thinking "now what?" What are we missing in our personalities or perspectives that doesn't allow for us to appreciate the mountains in the way many of you do? I hope you can take me at my word in my sincerity here; I'm not bad-mouthing the mountains or Colorado. I just don't get it, and would like to.

For example, the ocean is also stunningly beautiful, but it allows for activities beyond looking at it. Fishing, boating, water skiing, hitting the pier, surfing, etc. Mountains, from what I can tell, you just kinda look at-then, well, I dunno? I guess you can walk through them and take pictures?

What am I missing? What do the mountains do for you? Thanks for sharing.
Mountains ARE GOD WORKS OF ART and if you Appreciate ART
you Appreciate MOUNTAINS...by the way people HIKE and CAMP in
mountains , and not just stand there and look at them!!! And more
IMPORTANT get a chance TO BREATH IN SOME FRESH "AIR"..!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 10:33 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,953 times
Great topic! I see both sides although the oceans are obviously not represented well in a Colorado thread.

Mountains are good for your lungs and there are animals that can only be found high up.

Oceans also have wildlife. Where I live now in Texas (Rockport) there are always pelicans and dolphins splashing about. The breeze coming in off the water is not only clean to breathe but in the summer its cools and in the winter it warms ( by about 4-5 degrees). It also rusts any metal that's unprotected. The ocean also changes color frequently during the day- I had never noticed this before. I live on the intracoastal so sailboats and other vessels pass by and even some of the less than formally clad occupants are a nice vision. Sunrise over the water is super as well as sunset
( but I face East).

Its all good!

Old 12-02-2009, 10:45 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,976,319 times
Well Ill be damned..someone who finally thinks the same thing of mountains that I do.

I just dont understand what's so special about mountains. Most of them that I have been on are freezing cold up top (Except the ones in Hawaii) and after Ive finished looking at the "vista/panorama" the rest us just -- "meh"..

I just have come to the conclusion that mountains are so overrated its not even funny. Ive hiked them, Ive camped on them, I have seen the waterfalls...That just wasnt enough for me to justify all of this hysteria over mountains, at all. I guess its just because I view most of nature as beautiful anyway..so a mountain or two simply doesnt stand out from any other aspect of nature imo.

I think underground caves are much cooler than mountains.

Now if there were some way that I could explore the underwater mountains, then that may get my juices going.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:57 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
THE MOUNTAIN.
The mountain sat upon the plain
In his eternal chair,
His observation omnifold,
His inquest everywhere.

The seasons prayed around his knees,
Like children round a sire:
Grandfather of the days is he,
Of dawn the ancestor.

by Emily Dickinson

I guess if you have to ask, you'll never understand.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:14 PM

Ive come to realize that there is nothing to understand about mountains.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:49 PM

447 posts, read 1,607,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Ive come to realize that there is nothing to understand about mountains.
Wow......what a sad individual

Old 12-02-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breaksraver13 View Post
Wow......what a sad individual

wow what a narrowminded individual

Old 12-02-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
wow what a narrowminded individual
Really?? I'm narrow-minded??? That comes after your comment about there being nothing to understand..........I think that it's just some people that I don't understand

Old 12-02-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breaksraver13 View Post
Really?? I'm narrow-minded??? That comes after your comment about there being nothing to understand..........I think that it's just some people that I don't understand
Which came after you said that if some people didnt understand the majesty of mountains, they would never 'understand'...I simply said that there is nothing to understand.

I didnt say that you shouldnt enjoy your mountains. If you like them, more power to you. But I do take offense to being called a 'sad individual' simply because I dont have the same appreciation for mountains that you hold.

I respect your right to enjoy and appreciate mountains. Im just saying that, after hiking and exploring a few large mountains extensively I personally find them overrated. There was very little luster left after the initial rush of witnessing the panoramas/vistas was over. But different strokes for different folx. More power to you if you enjoy them. I enjoyed them too, its just that they are nothing special imo.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Which came after you said that if some people didnt understand the majesty of mountains, they would never 'understand'...I simply said that there is nothing to understand.

I didnt say that you shouldnt enjoy your mountains. If you like them, more power to you. But I do take offense to being called a 'sad individual' simply because I dont have the same appreciation for mountains that you hold.

I respect your right to enjoy and appreciate mountains. Im just saying that, after hiking and exploring a few large mountains extensively I personally find them overrated. There was very little luster left after the initial rush of witnessing the panoramas/vistas was over. But different strokes for different folx. More power to you if you enjoy them. I enjoyed them too, its just that they are nothing special imo.
Sorry, now I understand your point.........the original post was very "shallow" I think that is what bothered me most..............

Personally, nothing on this great earth gives me more energy than the peaks that surround me, they give me life and have made me the most happy individual that I can be.............I'm from SC and I have friends that love it and wouldn't move (personally it's because they don't really have the same sense of adventure or there just comfortable) but it doesn't work for me, I think it's hell on earth.........but on the plus side, everyone is different and if EVERYONE liked the Rocky's then we would all be living in the same place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado