U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-03-2010, 11:42 AM
 
59 posts, read 121,857 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Always nice when somebody who doesn't live in the state, only knows what he or she sees about it on the internet, and may or may not have even visited the state impunes that people who have lived in the state for decades, imtimately know its geography and economy, and have employed and supervised people in it (including the IT people he mentions) are blathering idiots, and that HE knows better about the economy of the state.

"Canon City looks nice in photos at least" is a great example of such know-little pontificating. He's entitled to his opinion, informed or not, I guess, but I should wouldn't rely on it. Better to ask somebody who knows about every square inch of the town (or state) their opinion about what it's really like. What you get will still be an opinion, but at least an informed one. Viper is right in this case, Cañon City is a pretty nice town, but even a broken clock is right twice a day . . .

Oh, to say Wyoming and Idaho are very inexpensive is a crock, also. Anyone doing a scintilla of research would know that there are many areas of both those states that certainly are not inexpensive. To say otherwise is a misleading general statement that is likely false as often as it might be true.
LOL!! It seems like some Coloradans don't like to face the reality that their state is not as "expensive" and "unattainable" as they think it is. I don't think they like the harsh reality that there are other states in America that are easily just as beautiful, scenic, and more expensive than Colorado. They must have fun living in their own little "Colorado is the greatest place on earth" fantasy world.

No doubt Colorado is a nice state, but there are plenty of equally nice states in America. I really don't understand the jealousy of Coloradans who can't accept the fact that there are other states equally beautiful and Colorado is no more special than any other state. Maybe they listened to John Denver music too much. Coloradans who think like this seriously need to visit other scenic states such Washington, Oregon, Alaska, New Hampshire, Maine, and Vermont. That would change their outlook mighty fast.

Last edited by Viper2; 06-03-2010 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2010, 12:01 PM
 
7,830 posts, read 14,778,885 times
Reputation: 7718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2 View Post
LOL!! It seems like some Coloradans don't like to face the reality that their state is not as "expensive" and "unattainable" as they think it is. I don't think they like the harsh reality that there are other states in America that are easily just as beautiful, scenic, and more expensive than Colorado. They must have fun living in their own little "Colorado is the greatest place on earth" fantasy world.

No doubt Colorado is a nice state, but there are plenty of equally nice states in America. I really don't understand the jealousy of Coloradans who can't accept the fact that their are other states equally beautiful and Colorado is no more special than any other state. Maybe they listened to John Denver music too much. Coloradans who think like this seriously need to visit other scenic states such Washington, Oregon, Alaska, New Hampshire, Maine, and Vermont. That would change their outlook mighty fast.
Did I ever say that Colorado was the best, most beautiful state in the Union? Nope. Did I say it was the most expensive? Nope. Have I traveled to other states that I think are quite beautiful? Yep.

What I DID say is that Colorado is not a particularly affordable state compared to others, ESPECIALLY if one looks at living costs vs. local incomes. In that realm, Colorado generally ranks middling at best. It also has an economy that is not especially balanced, with overreliance on real estate speculation and development, tourism, technology and government employment--all sectors that I believe face some serious problems ahead. That is hardly trumpeting that Colorado "is the best."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 12:03 PM
 
59 posts, read 121,857 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
To live up in the mountains, it's expensive with a highly variable job situation plus often some isolation and long winters.
Really? Tell that to the numerous poor hillbillies who live up in the mountain areas throughout the United States, including Colorado.

Internet forums = full of great information and unfortunately a lot of misinformation as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 12:08 PM
 
7,830 posts, read 14,778,885 times
Reputation: 7718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2 View Post
Really? Tell that to the numerous poor hillbillies who live up in the mountain areas throughout the United States, including Colorado.

Internet forums = full of great information and unfortunately a lot of misinformation as well.
Most of the latter spread by people spewing about an area in which they do not live, and may never have visited than more than a few days . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 12:26 PM
 
59 posts, read 121,857 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Did I ever say that Colorado was the best, most beautiful state in the Union? Nope. Did I say it was the most expensive? Nope. Have I traveled to other states that I think are quite beautiful? Yep.

What I DID say is that Colorado is not a particularly affordable state compared to others, ESPECIALLY if one looks at living costs vs. local incomes. In that realm, Colorado generally ranks middling at best. It also has an economy that is not especially balanced, with overreliance on real estate speculation and development, tourism, technology and government employment--all sectors that I believe face some serious problems ahead. That is hardly trumpeting that Colorado "is the best."
I have been reading your posts for the past couple of months, since you post on here so much. Anytime anyone asks about Colorado, you always have the same theme in your response posts, that is: Colorado is so incredibly desirable that it's nearly impossible to live here because the job market is ridiculous competitive and the cost of living is astronomical.....blah.....blah....blah...mountain paradise....blah....blah.....blah...tourism...blah ...blah...blah.

Gimme a freakin break!!

When someone disagrees with you, you proceed to proclaim what an expert you are on all-things-Colorado.

And there is no American state with a perfectly balanced economy. And we know you think Colorado faces serious problems ahead, you harp on it nonstop. Sorry, but you are not a prophet, and even if you were, prophets are almost always ridiculously inaccurate in their prophecies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 12:45 PM
 
2,439 posts, read 4,792,414 times
Reputation: 1353
Viper - I and many others have been trying to talk some sense into Jazz for years now and it's pretty pointless. You're exactly right about his posting style but there's no changing him, especially since he's about 170 years old by now. But he does occasionally have some good insight and useful information to offer about our great state, so if you can just weed through all that crassness and find those hidden gems you'll be better off than getting into a war of words with him. Not that I can resist that entirely either, but try not to take him as a reflection of the rest of this board or on CO'ans in general..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 12:50 PM
 
9,692 posts, read 11,430,131 times
Reputation: 7024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2 View Post
Really? Tell that to the numerous poor hillbillies who live up in the mountain areas throughout the United States, including Colorado.

Internet forums = full of great information and unfortunately a lot of misinformation as well.
Not at all.

My family goes back 4 generations in Colorado high county and I have lived seven years up there myself. One relative used to live in a cabin lean to against a mountainside with no running water and generator power for electricity.

Wouldn't be so combative Viper, I've been there and done it and it's not like living in a "normal" city or town. Mountain life is different and I think for those that consider moving up there, they should be aware of the differences and what it is like, but personally I don't discourage people as some do. I've always told it like it is and I've never been a sunshine pumper or a debbie downer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 12:56 PM
 
59 posts, read 121,857 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Not at all.

My family goes back 4 generations in Colorado high county and I have lived seven years up there myself. One relative used to live in a cabin lean to against a mountainside with no running water and generator power for electricity.

Wouldn't be so combative Viper, I've been there and done it and it's not like living in a "normal" city or town. Mountain life is different and I think for those that consider moving up there, they should be aware of the differences and what it is like, but personally I don't discourage people as some do. I've always told it like it is and I've never been a sunshine pumper or a debbie downer.
That's fine, but don't try to pretend that only the rich live in the mountains. That is very very untrue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 12:57 PM
 
9,692 posts, read 11,430,131 times
Reputation: 7024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2 View Post
I have been reading your posts for the past couple of months, since you post on here so much. Anytime anyone asks about Colorado, you always have the same theme in your response posts, that is: Colorado is so incredibly desirable that it's nearly impossible to live here because the job market is ridiculous competitive and the cost of living is astronomical.....blah.....blah....blah...mountain paradise....blah....blah.....blah...tourism...blah ...blah...blah.

Gimme a freakin break!!

When someone disagrees with you, you proceed to proclaim what an expert you are on all-things-Colorado.

And there is no American state with a perfectly balanced economy. And we know you think Colorado faces serious problems ahead, you harp on it nonstop. Sorry, but you are not a prophet, and even if you were, prophets are almost always ridiculously inaccurate in their prophecies.
Well Jazz is bit on the old negative saw about a lot of things and he definitely needs a pick me up. But he is a knowledgeable person who knows a lot about Colorado.

I think he is the way he is because he has seen the changes over time to Colorado and liked back when he was growing up. I can sympathize as Colorado has changed from my childhood quite a bit to now and personally there was a lot I liked about it in the 1980's compared to now.

And it is important to point out as I did in other threads that Colorado is not exactly the same. Living in Denver/Front Range is way different than the rest of the state. The mountain areas ARE desirable and that is reflected in the tight job market and high cost of living and real estate. It is competitive in some parts of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Del Norte NM
530 posts, read 724,468 times
Reputation: 162
I have to agree with Jazz-mon and the roo about mountain living being very different. I too have a cabin perched on a ridge. I don't live there of course but when I first bought it, I thought "wow I could live here all year" but now that I've had it for a while, seen a few bears, lost my dog (for a while) thinking it was eaten by a mountain lion and suffered breakins my view is quite different.

I think what these folks are trying to say is that Colorado living, Front Range, Plains or Western Slope, is a trade-off.

I believe they are right about the living situation. It is more expensive than other places like Missouri or Texas or Iowa. I don't know but I think you can get by making $10.00 an hour in Tulsa or Joplin or Iowa City. I can tell you this; it'd be tough to get by on that in Alamosa, one of the cheaper Western Slope Cities.

Also, I don't think Wyoming living is that cheap. It seemed to me houses were quite expensive in Gillette against the wages offered. They might be on the same keel as California now since the housing market there has fallen off a cliff and the financial system has melted down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:54 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top