Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 06:52 AM

257 posts, read 328,032 times

Advertisements

The ways things go with these teams, in another year or two you could say the largest city has pro sports and the others don't. Personally, I don't even get into pro sports that much anymore and I hate the way how they try and get the taxpayers to build multimillion dollar facilities when a lot of people are struggling enough to put food on the table, much less go to a game. That applies more for the major league teams, but still. Taxpayers should not be subsidizing sports teams for glitzy and glamorous facilities is my position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 10:52 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,030,089 times
this is sort of a side step, but one thing I noticed when we moved here couple yrs ago was it seems that the USC FB team has a very strong following, regardless of their record (how it should be, it's college after all ). But that year the mens BB team was doing well, had some real solid players and a good record, but ( correct me if i'm wrong ) they didnt sell out their arena until Tenn came in town to play. Guess I figured a winning team would pull in no matter what, I was somewhat used to multiple sports back home having constant sellouts over the years.
I can understand FB having it, with the tradition that sport has in this part of the country, and I know now the baseball team has a good history as well. But say with men's BB, do they not have a long enough winning tradition to build the sort of fan base that fills the arena each and every game?

By no means is this a comparison to what conference or school I was in or watched back home, just was curious if this area really is a FB and baseball only type market.... which in turn could affect other minor league sports from even trying their hand here.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:07 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,579,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
this is sort of a side step, but one thing I noticed when we moved here couple yrs ago was it seems that the USC FB team has a very strong following, regardless of their record (how it should be, it's college after all ). But that year the mens BB team was doing well, had some real solid players and a good record, but ( correct me if i'm wrong ) they didnt sell out their arena until Tenn came in town to play. Guess I figured a winning team would pull in no matter what, I was somewhat used to multiple sports back home having constant sellouts over the years.
I can understand FB having it, with the tradition that sport has in this part of the country, and I know now the baseball team has a good history as well. But say with men's BB, do they not have a long enough winning tradition to build the sort of fan base that fills the arena each and every game?

By no means is this a comparison to what conference or school I was in or watched back home, just was curious if this area really is a FB and baseball only type market.... which in turn could affect other minor league sports from even trying their hand here.
With the Gamecocks, winning tradition can't be the reason for any of their teams' following. The football team didn't win their FIRST bowl game until the 90's, and their first ever men's sport national championship came in 2010. I think their basketball arena is too big to expect consistent sell-outs. The size is for concerts, not basketball.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:14 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,455,220 times
The last couple posts gave me a thought. Colleges can't move around the way a pro team can. Maybe that's partly why fans become so devoted. Gamecocks won't ever leave . . .

And, except for Duke, UNC and Wake, there aren't huge basketball programs the same way there are for football and baseball. (I'm probably forgetting some other huge basketball program, right?)

I guess The South is just more of a football and baseball crowd.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:55 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,030,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
I think their basketball arena is too big to expect consistent sell-outs. The size is for concerts, not basketball.
at close to 18k for capacity it is a larger arena, but it's do-able to sell out. Big 10 teams like MSU, UW play in the 15-17k+ range ( seems to be the avg ) and have both a winning tradition and sellout tradition as well. I'm sure it takes a winning record to help put fans in the stands, but on flip side it can need a winning team to be able to recruit better players as well. Sort of a circle, teams that draw low and play to avg records can have more difficulty bringing in that blue chip player. Especially if other teams in that conference chase the kid around. Top teams and top facilities seem to have an easier time to bring in who they want.
Now i would add ( from experience watching UW in the Big 10 ) coaching is huge. If you cant match the players being recruited byt the "powerhouses" in that conference, you have to get the most of the kids you do get. It's when those teams can be consistantly in the "W" column and in the big dance, that's when sellouts happen...

I do think it's tougher for most women's teams in same locations, when they have to play in the same facilities as the mens. Rare will it be when the womens players can look around an see every seat filled... it's to bad as they can put in same work and effort but will usually not see the same "glory" as the men

Old 06-24-2011, 03:02 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,615,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
With the Gamecocks, winning tradition can't be the reason for any of their teams' following. The football team didn't win their FIRST bowl game until the 90's, and their first ever men's sport national championship came in 2010. I think their basketball arena is too big to expect consistent sell-outs. The size is for concerts, not basketball.
Actually you are not right....baseball has a strong history of winning. It is just the last decade that the team has become a consistent national contender.

In general, college sports in the south are popular because up until recently, it was the only game in town. Professional teams, outside of Atlanta, have only recently invaded the south. As a result, Carolina fans have sat through some lean years but, still show up because they love the school. While North Carolina fans yawn in football season, there aren't many better places to see a basketball game (including NBA arenas). And, Clemson fans continue to support the teams in spite of a couple of decades of average seasons following multiple probation periods.

For Columbia, having Carolina is a blessing and a curse. Carolina provides athletic events year round at the highest level in college sports. And, from a fan perspective, I would much rather see a college game than any of the minor leagues, especially the single A level. But, for the city, a minor leage team offers great entertainment value and does provide a basis for bringing the city together. Building a venue across the river with Columbia's skyline as a backdrop to center field would be tremendous for the city.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:05 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,615,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
The last couple posts gave me a thought. Colleges can't move around the way a pro team can. Maybe that's partly why fans become so devoted. Gamecocks won't ever leave . . .

And, except for Duke, UNC and Wake, there aren't huge basketball programs the same way there are for football and baseball. (I'm probably forgetting some other huge basketball program, right?)

I guess The South is just more of a football and baseball crowd.
I agree, especially in SC, football and baseball are more popular. If Carolina begins to field a better team, they may sell out the CLA. But, you do have to be a strong team to attract 18k fans. What is the average attendance now....I thought I heard the 10-11k range but, I could be wrong.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:06 PM

257 posts, read 328,032 times
Actually the arena was built as large as it was to help attract NCAA tournaments, but we know that won't happen anytime soon with that flag still flying.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:07 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,579,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Actually you are not right....baseball has a strong history of winning. It is just the last decade that the team has become a consistent national contender.
Carolina won their first baseball conference title in 2000, with a SEC-East title coming in 1999. It's typically the hardware that counts. But, of any sport at Carolina, baseball is the one with most history.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:20 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,675,582 times
My experience says that sports fans are drawn to local teams. Now that sounds like a simplification but:

1. Where I grew up and have lived (Boston, Chicago, NY, LA, Ohio, etc.) we had professional sports teams so all the buzz/press was about them, not college sports. The BC/Clemson football game is considered a yawn to most Bostonians. Few in Chicago care about Northwestern nor UofI sports.

2. The majority of folks that really care about college sports in cities with professional sports, are alumnus. The Harvard/Yale football game is as hoot...LOL

I am amazed at the number of USC fans here that did not go to USC and/or cannot even spell University.

3. Those that did not grow up with professional sports usually not "get" above #1 & 2.

4. Charleston (where I have also lived), Greenville, MB, Hilton Head, etc. do not have large/strong college teams (watch the Citadel Bulldogs get on me for that...LOL) so their "professional" teams do OK.

All we really cared about CofC in Charleston were their sunbathing coeds in Marion Square....fine....fine...need I say fine again....LOL

All that said, I do think the midlands has room for "professional/minor" league baseball. Hockey is another question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area