Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 03:41 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,274,629 times

Advertisements

Tallulah Gorge and Salem, SC. Tallulah Gorge is close to an hour drive from Clemson. Salem, SC is approximately 20 miles. I see a cultural relationship between the area Clemson is situated in and the movie, which is near where Clemson is situated. Clemson is out in the sticks, besides the university community and the students, I don't know whats out there in those hills, but I do know Deliverance was filmed out that way and its a very rural setting. Hey, I'm not totally making fun, we need farmers badly and they are an integral part of this nation sustaining.

I don't know about the downtown being completely dead without the university. Tack on the state government and who knows, maybe you're right. Greenville and Charleston are successful cities without a major university downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 03:50 PM

425 posts, read 632,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Tallulah Gorge and Salem, SC. Tallulah Gorge is close to an hour drive from Clemson. Salem, SC is approximately 20 miles. I see a cultural relationship between the area Clemson is situated in and the movie, which is near where Clemson is situated. Clemson is out in the sticks, besides the university community and the students, I don't know whats out there in those hills, but I do know Deliverance was filmed out that way and its a very rural setting. Hey, I'm not totally making fun, we need farmers badly and they are an integral part of this nation sustaining.

I don't know about the downtown being completely dead without the university. Tack on the state government and who knows, maybe you're right. Greenville and Charleston are successful cities without a major university downtown.
Clemson is right down the road from Anderson one of the main metros that make up the Greenville metro, it is about 35 to 45 minutes from Clemson to downtown Greenville. It's a rural setting but hardly isolated and in the sticks. by this logic Blythewood is the sticks, or the far side of Lexington.

I don't care if Deliverance was filmed out there or not, just a movie with no basis in reality and in actuality in the movie they are canoing on a river in west Virginia way out in the mountains.

I could actually see much of main street being vacant buildings in 30 years from now as population continues to shift out to the burbs and companies decided it is easier on their people to just set up their office in irmo or n.e. Columbia or Lexington.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:02 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Both College of Charleston and MUSC are on the peninsula. I know neither is a major comprehensive university but you somewhat get the same effect with both.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Both College of Charleston and MUSC are on the peninsula. I know neither is a major comprehensive university but you somewhat get the same effect with both.
In my mind Charleston itself doesn't have much industry outside of tourism and lawyer and finanicial kind of stuff, along with the colleges.

You really got to go out to North Charleston and Goose creek area for more of the non-lawyer/finance kind of work like engineering, although a few engineering firms that work with or employs architects are located out in the Daniel Island area.

Columbia didn't come into existence on its own, if it was not planned for the state government it wouldn't be here.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:32 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,032,562 times
Is it time to agree ClemsonTiger45 is a troll and should be ignored?

Old 06-26-2013, 04:37 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger45 View Post
Columbia didn't come into existence on its own, if it was not planned for the state government it wouldn't be here.
There are lots of planned cities in the world. I don't know what your point is anymore.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
There are lots of planned cities in the world. I don't know what your point is anymore.
i'm not putting it down for being planned, just pointing out that if government / university goes away it could all dry up. Government never goes out of business so we will never know.

there does appear to be ice cream on main street. it's really too hot to be outside today but I will brave it.

P.S. Is there a restaurant downtown with rooftop dining? I seem to remember going to someplace like this off of Main Street long time ago with my parents and grandparents. that would be pretty cool.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:50 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,274,629 times
Quote:
Clemson is right down the road from Anderson one of the main metros that make up the Greenville metro, it is about 35 to 45 minutes from Clemson to downtown Greenville. It's a rural setting but hardly isolated and in the sticks. by this logic Blythewood is the sticks, or the far side of Lexington.

I don't care if Deliverance was filmed out there or not, just a movie with no basis in reality and in actuality in the movie they are canoing on a river in west Virginia way out in the mountains.

I could actually see much of main street being vacant buildings in 30 years from now as population continues to shift out to the burbs and companies decided it is easier on their people to just set up their office in irmo or n.e. Columbia or Lexington.
Blythewood is an up and coming suburb 20 minutes from the largest city in the state. Clemson is a university town and will always be a town, never to be a true suburban town or city that's down the road from Anderson, a large town. They're two different creatures. I don't view them as the same.

There's no basis of reality that they're canoeing down a river in West Virginia because in actually it was filmed in the northwest corner of the state of South Carolina.

Population shift to the suburbs? I don't know enough to refute with statistics or articles, but I know Columbiadata has documented on here that the opposite is true.

I agree partially in that there will always be some offices set up in Irmo and Lexington, look at downtown Lexington for instance. Who knows what will happen in 30 years but I doubt most of downtown will be vacated due to a shift in office space desirability in the suburbs.

Quote:
For sure. I had College of Charleston in mind specifically, actually. But I was hinging more on a major 20,000+ student body university. But I get ya.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:04 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,980 times
Quote:
In my mind Charleston itself doesn't have much industry outside of tourism and lawyer and finanicial kind of stuff, along with the colleges.
Boeing? Nucor Steel?

Old 06-26-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rooster View Post
Boeing? Nucor Steel?
that isn't in Charleston. North Charleston as my post indicated. You dont' appear to actually read them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area