Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:05 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger45 View Post
if Columbia really wants to get downtown going, USC needs to build a football stadium within walking distance of the Vista and campus or even 5 points if they could raze some housing over there. That's the one thing I never really liked about USC , the stadium was so far away compared to other schools like Clemson and UGA. It could be like a Clemson football game every weekend in downtown Columbia if the stadium was right there.

Boom.

That's great insight. Seems like it took minutes to come up with this plan. Just to be clear the goal here is to get downtown Columbia more active for 5-6 weekends out of 3.5 month period, because this would somehow make it more compareable Athens, or Clemson on game day? So, I think a more appropriate question would be what could either of those towns do to raise their GDP to the level of Columbia's?

Last edited by sandlapper; 06-25-2013 at 10:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 10:29 PM

425 posts, read 632,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
That's great insight. Seems like it took minutes to come up with this plan. Just to be clear the goal here is to get downtown Columbia more active for 5-6 weekends out of 3.5 month period, because this would somehow make it more compareable Athens, or Clemson when games are in town? My question is what could either one of those towns do to raise their GDP to the level of Columbia's? That I think would be a more worthy task.
I suspect if you take government out of Columbia there wouldn't be much going on there at all.

you probably taking my suggestion a little too seriously. I could care less where the football stadium is cuz I never been to usc game and I never will. I rarely go to Clemson games either.

I am shocked at the hostility that I received for it. I prefer colleges where the stadium is right on campus and it clearly would not have hurt to have it closer to USC, which the city of Columbia needs more than it seems to know.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:03 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,831 times
Quote:
I suspect if you take government out of Columbia there wouldn't be much going on there at all.

you probably taking my suggestion a little too seriously. I could care less where the football stadium is cuz I never been to usc game and I never will. I rarely go to Clemson games either.

I am shocked at the hostility that I received for it. I prefer colleges where the stadium is right on campus and it clearly would not have hurt to have it closer to USC, which the city of Columbia needs more than it seems to know.
Okay, I don't understand what the first statement has to do with a downtown football stadium? Infact that same statement can be said for a lot of towns and cities throughout the US, replace goverment, or University with BOA, Coca-Cola, or Enron. What would Washington, DC be if it wasn't for the government.

Not that I'm taking your statements too seriously I just don't understand the significance, purpose, or origin? What difference does any of it make. What is the goal? I live in a city where our football, basketball, and baseball teams all play downtown and all three have little to do with its vibrancy. If that is the standard then Manhattan only has the Knicks to thank.

Lastly you can't be that shocked to show up on a Columbia forum looking for a fight and then act surprised when someone actually rings the bell.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:38 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Quote:

Columbia has sizable and growing IT and manufacturing sectors. Its financial sector is as strong as any in the state. Insurance is big here. Then there's USC and Fort Jackson. Columbia wouldn't exist if not for state government, but it's way more than a government town in this chapter of its history. It has been more than a government/college/military town for some time and is fast getting to the point at which those sectors are "also" industries.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:21 AM

372 posts, read 659,482 times
Quote:
Not like Clemson, just like any major college who has their stadium on campus. I think they could have least but it near the Vista on the river not too far from campus. I can't see too many people hiking from campus through that industrial area to the stadium. that stadium just reminds me of my hometown stadium for my high school football team as well as the other 2 high schools in town, just a lot bigger.

I just think the football atmosphere at Clemson, UGA, UNC, va tech, etc is far superior to USC's b/c there you are hanging out in a parking lot in an industrial area. And you would have people crawling all over downtown prior and after the games, just would bring an unbelievable energy to the place and lead to more stuff. Is there even a Gamecock clothing store in the Vista?

I'm not sure how to take the opinion of someone who says the atmosphere at unc is better than USC, especially with that wine and cheese crowd.

Remember that Blacksburg and that farm in the upstate are built around the schools. Columbia is a much larger town that either than them. I graduated from USC in '91, like a previous poster said, the area around the stadium has EXPLODED! When I was there the only things were the Talley Ho, Bojangles, and The State newspaper.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:22 AM

[quote=Glmore;30197230]
Quote:
Not like Clemson, just like any major college who has their stadium on campus. I think they could have least but it near the Vista on the river not too far from campus. I can't see too many people hiking from campus through that industrial area to the stadium. that stadium just reminds me of my hometown stadium for my high school football team as well as the other 2 high schools in town, just a lot bigger.

I just think the football atmosphere at Clemson, UGA, UNC, va tech, etc is far superior to USC's b/c there you are hanging out in a parking lot in an industrial area. And you would have people crawling all over downtown prior and after the games, just would bring an unbelievable energy to the place and lead to more stuff. Is there even a Gamecock clothing store in the Vista?[/QUO

I'm not sure how to take the opinion of someone who says the atmosphere at unc is better than USC, especially with that wine and cheese crowd.

Remember that Blacksburg and that farm in the upstate are built around the schools. Columbia is a much larger town that either than them. I graduated from USC in '91, like a previous poster said, the area around the stadium has EXPLODED! When I was there the only things were the Talley Ho, Bojangles, and The State newspaper.
I think the tailgating experience is much better at the other schools I mentioned. At USC you are out in a big parking lot adjacent to an industrial area. I don't deny that the area out there has gotten better but that was never my point.

Also, ,at schools like Clemson, you can walk from your dorm to the football stadium. I lived in the Shoeboxes / Johnstone for my first two years and it was just right down the hill. The band would coming marching down the hill to the stadium prior to the game, and over in downtown Tiger Town. It was just awesome seeing a sea of orange on campus outside the stadium, I wanted the kids at USC to experience something similar. I just think going to USC games is probably more like going to a high school game, obviously a mega high school, than a real college atmosphere, at least prior and post game.

Some might say I am a dreamer but I am not the only one.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:51 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,765,744 times
I went to Clemson for three semesters and the view of Columbia's skyline (not even really a good one) from the tail-gaiting area is more interesting to look at than anything I saw on the Clemson campus.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I went to Clemson for three semesters and the view of Columbia's skyline (not even really a good one) from the tail-gaiting area is more interesting to look at than anything I saw on the Clemson campus.
LOL, I never seen gamecock fans try to make the case USC has a better game day atmosphere than Clemson. I'm not sure why some tall corporate buildings would excite anybody, I'd rather be out in a natural area like Clemson. There is something in them hills......

Old 06-26-2013, 06:58 AM

611 posts, read 921,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post

He admits he's never been to a USC game, but he's giving advice on how to improve "the atmosphere".

I've read some dumb threads on here before, but this has got to be one of the dumbest. Don't feel the troll.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post
He admits he's never been to a USC game, but he's giving advice on how to improve "the atmosphere".

I've read some dumb threads on here before, but this has got to be one of the dumbest. Don't feel the troll.
I live in Columbia, you live out in Texas. How many games are you going to these days. My opinions about USC games come from gamecock fans themselves who tell me the atmosphere is not as a good as Clemson's, and that seems kind of obvious when you consider tailgating is done on the Clemson campus vs in a parking lot next to an industrial area in Columbia.

Last edited by ClemsonTiger45; 06-26-2013 at 07:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area