Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 08:58 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,157 times

Advertisements

My naked e8400, I removed the IHS (cap that protects the actual cpu core) under my wet sanded cooler It was a nerve racking project and yielded no results (aiming for cooler temps and higher overclock), but it was a fun experience, once. After endless computer builds, I've become a big fan of Corsair PSU, highly recommended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 09:09 PM

696 posts, read 1,726,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
:O your CPU cooler looks like mine

(please excuse my messy lazy wiring and dusty components)
Is that the spaghetti monster in your case.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:03 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
OOOOOOH post pics and stuff when you build it I always get giddy when someone's building a new pc
Nah, I am not that nerdy

In case you haven't noticed, there is a snake inside your computer

Old 08-05-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post

My naked e8400, I removed the IHS (cap that protects the actual cpu core) under my wet sanded cooler It was a nerve racking project and yielded no results (aiming for cooler temps and higher overclock), but it was a fun experience, once. After endless computer builds, I've become a big fan of Corsair PSU, highly recommended.
Wow, with such a huge cooler bottom plate you might have a problem aligning it evenly on the chip, which would force the heat dissipation paste or whatever it is called towards one edge of the chip

I won't do anything like that, but I will remove the preapplied patch and use a good paste instead...

Old 08-05-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Wow, with such a huge cooler bottom plate you might have a problem aligning it evenly on the chip, which would force the heat dissipation paste or whatever it is called towards one edge of the chip

I won't do anything like that, but I will remove the preapplied patch and use a good paste instead...
Yeah, if you read the entire tread I linked documenting the project, pressure to push the CPU into socket ended up being one of the hurdles; And never fully solved it because I continue to have a 8 deg difference or so between cores.

When it comes to thermal paste, less is more; Meaning you don't really want enough on there to create a layer and squish over the edge, you essentially put it in there to fill the micro gaps between the CPU and heatsink (basically topical imperfections), not to put a layer of goop between them. Usually not more then a grain of rice (size) of the initial dab for a socket 775 chip. Filling those gaps is one reason why wet sanding the heatsink and CPU can result in huge temp drops. Best I've seen is a 15 deg drop @ full load vs non lapped, it definitely makes a difference.

Yeah remove the stock paste, clean with 95% + Isoproplyn (no idea on spelling off hand) Alcohol and re-apply using something like Artic Silver 5.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
Yeah, if you read the entire tread I linked documenting the project, pressure to push the CPU into socket ended up being one of the hurdles; And never fully solved it because I continue to have a 8 deg difference or so between cores.

When it comes to thermal paste, less is more; Meaning you don't really want enough on there to create a layer and squish over the edge, you essentially put it in there to fill the micro gaps between the CPU and heatsink (basically topical imperfections), not to put a layer of goop between them. Usually not more then a grain of rice (size) of the initial dab for a socket 775 chip. Filling those gaps is one reason why wet sanding the heatsink and CPU can result in huge temp drops. Best I've seen is a 15 deg drop @ full load vs non lapped, it definitely makes a difference.

Yeah remove the stock paste, clean with 95% + Isoproplyn (no idea on spelling off hand) Alcohol and re-apply using something like Artic Silver 5.
Oh, so I definitely did it the wrong way with my first computer many years ago. I remember covering the whole chip with the paste, looked like icing on a cake

So I have to put just very little in the middle and it will spread in all directions, so that there are no air bubbles...
Does the paste also function as insulation between the two different metals? I read somewhere that there might be electrical potentials where two different metals meet. That is why gold-plated plugs might even be worse than normal steel ones because the female counterpart is usually not gold-plated.

On your copper plate one can see the topical imperfections with the naked eye.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Oh, so I definitely did it the wrong way with my first computer many years ago. I remember covering the whole chip with the paste, looked like icing on a cake

So I have to put just very little in the middle and it will spread in all directions, so that there are no air bubbles...
Does the paste also function as insulation between the two different metals? I read somewhere that there might be electrical potentials where two different metals meet. That is why gold-plated plugs might even be worse than normal steel ones because the female counterpart is usually not gold-plated.

On your copper plate one can see the topical imperfections with the naked eye.
Dunno about the 2 different metals comment. The paste however is there for nothing else other then thermal transfer to the heat sink. Another reason to lap the bottom of a heat sink is they sometimes won't be 100% flat on the bottom, same with the IHS on the CPU. I've had some CPU's that pretty much required sanding the chip because the IHS (the silver color metal cap on cpu) had a dip in the middle, or raised edges, either way it needed to be sanded if I wanted to overclock. Even stock it ran hot until I sanded it.

I like copper heatsinks, they tend to dissipate heat better in my experiences.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:25 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times
I like copper ones too. I've lapped my coolers before, and I have seen a difference, but I'm far too lazy nowadays

Old 08-05-2011, 01:26 PM

I have read a bit about temperatures, which after all are the reason for any cooling efforts. It said on one site that many motherboards by default apply too high a voltage to the processor, which results in temperatures that are up to 10K higher than they need to be, not to mention unnecessary noise resulting from higher fan speeds, especially with the boxed coolers.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I have read a bit about temperatures, which after all are the reason for any cooling efforts. It said on one site that many motherboards by default apply too high a voltage to the processor, which results in temperatures that are up to 10K higher than they need to be, not to mention unnecessary noise resulting from higher fan speeds, especially with the boxed coolers.
I'm yet to run into one mobo that overvolts 'stock' since things moved past P III's lol. Err not to mention temps up 10k? WTF is 10k, temps are measure in Celsius typically. Sounds like a tool making **** up on an overclocking forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers