Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:35 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,532,036 times

Advertisements

I've read articles of new users not being able to understand Windows8. One tester said it took 20 minutes to find how to shut down. Also, there's not really a start button so you have to move the mouse to the right edge to get a menu like the start menu.

Remember when Facebook transferred people to the timeline, and users complained, but after a while, they got used to it. I wonder if Windows8 is something that has a "learning bump" and once you get used to it, you like it. Or else, Microsoft just made a huge error in interface design.

Another possibility is that MS thought it would be cool for a phone, tablet and computer to have exactly the same interface. And they didn't realize that a phone-like interface would annoy desktop users.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 01:38 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
I believe the guy running the Windows division is the same one who was running Office when 2007 came out. Remember that was a major interface change with no "classic mode" to fall back on. It was like, "This is it, up yours if you don't like it." Microsoft is always trying to be more like apple, but they're taking the worst traits.

A phone and a desktop shouldn't have the same UI any more than a 747 and a tractor should.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:50 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,532,036 times
To add one more thing: I've seen desktop computers which have a large touch screen and no mouse.
Is that another reason why Windows8 is the way it is, to be compatible with these?
I saw them at the public library.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:53 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
To add one more thing: I've seen desktop computers which have a large touch screen and no mouse.
Is that another reason why Windows8 is the way it is, to be compatible with these?
I saw them at the public library.
Windows 7 already supports touch screens. Not sure how many touch points though.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:16 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I've read articles of new users not being able to understand Windows8. One tester said it took 20 minutes to find how to shut down. Also, there's not really a start button so you have to move the mouse to the right edge to get a menu like the start menu.

Remember when Facebook transferred people to the timeline, and users complained, but after a while, they got used to it. I wonder if Windows8 is something that has a "learning bump" and once you get used to it, you like it. Or else, Microsoft just made a huge error in interface design.

Another possibility is that MS thought it would be cool for a phone, tablet and computer to have exactly the same interface. And they didn't realize that a phone-like interface would annoy desktop users.
If people are struggling with Windows 8, they can always switch over to one of the hundreds of linux operating systems. Of course, they won't get a refund from Microsoft.. but they will certainly have more freedom to set up their desktop the way they like it to be!

Peace,
brian

Old 10-24-2012, 04:14 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Or they could just install one of the many free add-ons that disables the interface formerly known as metro and restores the familiar start button and menu. Far simpler for the average user than dealing with Linux.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:14 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I believe the guy running the Windows division is the same one who was running Office when 2007 came out. Remember that was a major interface change with no "classic mode" to fall back on. It was like, "This is it, up yours if you don't like it." Microsoft is always trying to be more like apple, but they're taking the worst traits.

A phone and a desktop shouldn't have the same UI any more than a 747 and a tractor should.
I don't see the problem with sharing the same UI as a phone. Operating systems like this are now for the masses and phones are the most popular computers on the planet.

Desktops do need better interfaces in order to use these sorts of UIs however.

When using desktops, most people are monolithic. They want the internet, email and the ability to do office work. Maybe some light gaming, photo/data storage and that's it. I think Windows 8 will work perfectly with those things.

Now for businesses, IT, power users and the like, I think that the Start screen is a mere nuisance and not a deal breaker. We're not upgrading (client side) because I haven't seen anything that we really need that's not in Win7.

Time will tell how popular this OS will be. I think people will catch on fairly quick, and I believe it won't be so much a matter of "learning curve" rather than preference.

And Office 2007-2011 is better than 2003.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:32 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
As a mac user, I really like the direction that windows is taking...

Apple took a big chance when changing to the linux based OSX system and most people had to purchase new software and learn the new OS. There was some gripping but most adapted pretty well.

Windows users do tend to be very resistant to change, and in some way that user core has somewhat hindered Microsoft.
I hope the new iMacs will be able use the Windows 8.

Going to be very interesting.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Windows 7 already supports touch screens. Not sure how many touch points though.
The Windows 7 touchscreen experience is HORRIBLE! Outside of the [formerly known as] Metro interface, Windows 8 is pretty bad as well. Most of it stemming from Windows applications rather than the OS itself. Web browsers and Office 2013 makes touchscreen usable with Windows... but other apps are pretty bad.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:42 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The Windows 7 touchscreen experience is HORRIBLE! Outside of the [formerly known as] Metro interface, Windows 8 is pretty bad as well. Most of it stemming from Windows applications rather than the OS itself. Web browsers and Office 2013 makes touchscreen usable with Windows... but other apps are pretty bad.
A lot of this is due to the tools available to write apps with, but I have noticed that more vendors are pushing out suites of components that are touch enabled, and designed with the touchscreen experience in mind. We have a partial set of components available to us now, but one of our major vendors will be rolling out a completely "touchified" version of their UI tools before the end of the year (this is for both Metro apps, and "legacy desktop" apps).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers