Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 06:31 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times

Advertisements

Now that have have suckered in everyone they can, people will start finding out that free isn't free. I'm sure there'll be more of this type of thing in future updates.

More forced advertising creeps into Windows 10 Pro | InfoWorld
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 07:54 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,141 times
I've looked at all this as a sign of desperation. How many people would have upgraded their computers to Win1010 if it hadn't been free?

Old 07-31-2016, 06:01 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,506,680 times
Interesting, and more than a bit disappointing. OTOH, how many of you avoid facebook? Gmail? etc.

Of course MS is monetizing its users. seems everyone else is too.

At the same time, corporate is Windows last stand, and IS shops have tremendous influence in Redmond. Been like that for two decades, hence enterprise versions where sysadmins have total control over the desktop user. Will Redmond tamper with this? I doubt it. Let's see what happens in enterprise.

We consumers, however, may be in for something we don't like, at least until someone figures out the registry hacks to give us back some control.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:14 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
If they hadn't stuck it on our computers I don't think many people would have upgraded.
I think you underestimate most people and the power of the word FREE.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:38 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I think you underestimate most people and the power of the word FREE.
Peregrine, I think what was meant is that if *you* were not reminded day after day, looking at that white window shaped icon, less people would have been *acting* on it .
Just a note once and a while as an advert or newsflash, is not as *effective* as having to look at that icon all the time.

I *upgraded* very early to see what it was all about, got some more info here on the forum, made a *go back to Win 7* (once) and learned. Now all our systems are on Win 10, albeit we hope that we *stopped* most of the ridiculous *reporting back* stuff ...

Since all updates are automatic, I do check often if the *settings* (might) have been changed without my knowledge ...

Back to your statement about the power of the word *free*, I agree.
But then a while back I saw this billboard of a recently opened huge store, which said:
*Pick up your free gift*
That brought a question up with me wondering why a gift is free ?
Is a gift not automatically free and you have to be reminded ?

Do people associate *free* with *no money exchange* ?
The word *free* in the case of Win 10 was *no money exchange* but you gave up a lot of other *freedoms*.

I have a daughter who is a professional Dietitian.
She constantly is on me saying: *Dad, read the label!*
Because she is doing this constantly, I now read labels all the time ...
Result ? I figured out that 99% of the stuff I eat is not good for me ! Oh well ...

Last but not least, I do wonder what the real intent *in the end*, is of giving us a *free* Upgrade.
Not an Update ?

I am now reading up on *paranoia* !

Last edited by irman; 08-01-2016 at 09:55 AM..

Old 08-01-2016, 11:37 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Now that have have suckered in everyone they can, people will start finding out that free isn't free. I'm sure there'll be more of this type of thing in future updates.

More forced advertising creeps into Windows 10 Pro | InfoWorld
Cortana is mandatory in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update on August 2nd. Once the update hits on August 2, users will no longer be able to turn Cortana off. What this means is that searches you perform will be filtered through the web (using Bing, of course), and usage data will be periodically sent to Microsoft.
So, say goodbye to Google search
Windows 10 already collects data from all users, especially if you use any of Microsoft's cloud-based services - including signing into your device via a Microsoft account. Microsoft's mandatory data collection is a privacy concern, but it was a privacy concern long before they removed Cortana's off switch.
You can, of course, refuse to sign into Cortana or Windows 10 with a Microsoft account. But your usage data will still be collected, anyway...

Here is a way how you can limit Cortana's access to your private data:
Open Cortana settings turn all options with on/off toggles OFF. This will prevent Cortana from sharing your usage history across devices and from syncing notifications and other settings across devices.
Click Stop getting to know me to stop Cortana from collecting this info and to clear any information she's already collected.
Then change what Cortana knows about you in the cloud. Scroll to the bottom of the next screen and click Clear. You can also clear your Bing search history.
And lastly - you have an option to hide the Cortana button. Right-click the taskbar, go to Cortana and click Hidden.

http://www.howtogeek.com/248177/what...ersary-update/

I wonder if we should start a thread related to Windows 10 problems and fixes...

Last edited by elnina; 08-01-2016 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: link added

Old 08-01-2016, 01:55 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
This is pretty horrifying. If my employees start getting apps installed on their own, I will return everyone back to 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Cortana is mandatory in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update on August 2nd. Once the update hits on August 2, users will no longer be able to turn Cortana off. What this means is that searches you perform through the search feature of windows, meaning the search tool down in your taskbar which you should probably set to NOT SEARCH THE WEB when you first install 10will be filtered through the web (using Bing, of course), and usage data will be periodically sent to Microsoft.
Searching through your browser @ Google will still function normally...

Last edited by Peregrine; 08-01-2016 at 02:57 PM..

Old 08-01-2016, 01:58 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,572 times
I have reverted my VMs back to W7.

I really don't trust the mid to long term intentions of 10. I feel like we've all been sucked into something Orwellian that we won't have much control over once the likes of Cortana & Bing reveals their true intentions to us.

Be afraid. Be very very afraid!

Old 08-01-2016, 02:41 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I'm not suggesting you upgrade the entire college. I am saying as an IT Professional YOUR skill set needs to be current. The IT Professional should have at least one computer of his/her own that is as up to date as possible.

What happens if you work at that college on Win7 and in 3 years they finally decide: "Let's take a look at 10." Who are they going to ask to contribute? This guy who has had 10 for years, or the stick in the mud IT guy in the corner telling everyone else "we should just stay on 7".
LOL. Let's not get too crazy. We're talking about Microsoft Windows client OS.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:10 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,711,366 times
My take is that the real purpose of Windows 10 is those spying/data collecting features. But MS has to market it with something good sounding, so they add some superficial features such as appointment reminders, calculators, etc. People go for the latter, but are trapped in the former.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers