Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 07:56 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times

Advertisements

They are making a final push to get it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 07:58 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Yup, big purple full screen popup in use now, it actually has a do not prompt again option.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:08 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,572 times
I did a clean install of 10 on my of my VMs a few months back.

Definite improvement over 8.x and perhaps a slightly better frontend compared to 7; and once I'd disabled as many of the active "we want to know what you're up to" settings as I know about, 10 isn't all that bad, with very few compatibility problems with hosted apps and/or drivers.

However, my primary laptop is still 7, and intend to stick with that until the OS is EoL.

Had Microsoft been a little less overzealous with their "demands" for users to upgrade to 10, I would have probably been a bit more forgiving and installed 10 on all of my machines. But its the manner in which they try to force/remind you to upgrade that annoyed more than their spyware settings.

Oh, and Edge is horrid!

Old 07-21-2016, 09:27 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Overall I am a fan of Microsoft.

But they did a LOT of things poorly with the Windows 10 rollout. They RAM these new apps they want you to use down your throat. Even if you pay attention and don't just CLICK your way through the install there are several places where they STILL force the new apps on you.
One example: The screen where it says "we have new apps for you to try". Even if you click CUSTOMIZE and say "No, I don't want to use your new apps"... there are several instances where the new apps still open and try to run. Sad, Microsoft.
If you say "I don't want to use Edge" in the setup, then go into Windows and open a .PDF file? It tired to open it with Edge. If you say NO CORTANA during setup. Windows Loads. Click the 'start' button and: HI. I'M CORTANA. WOULD YOU LIKE TO USE ME?
It's ridiculous...

Edge isn't bad. Win 10 isn't bad. You just need to know the best way to install it, and configure it.
I'm writing a Best Practices document. I will share it here when I finish, although it may be beyond the free period at that point.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:19 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Overall I am a fan of Microsoft.

But they did a LOT of things poorly with the Windows 10 rollout. They RAM these new apps they want you to use down your throat. Even if you pay attention and don't just CLICK your way through the install there are several places where they STILL force the new apps on you.
One example: The screen where it says "we have new apps for you to try". Even if you click CUSTOMIZE and say "No, I don't want to use your new apps"... there are several instances where the new apps still open and try to run. Sad, Microsoft.
If you say "I don't want to use Edge" in the setup, then go into Windows and open a .PDF file? It tired to open it with Edge. If you say NO CORTANA during setup. Windows Loads. Click the 'start' button and: HI. I'M CORTANA. WOULD YOU LIKE TO USE ME?
It's ridiculous...

Edge isn't bad. Win 10 isn't bad. You just need to know the best way to install it, and configure it.
I'm writing a Best Practices document. I will share it here when I finish, although it may be beyond the free period at that point.
x2

Plus, seeing previously configured privacy settings or updates made hidden to revert back after merely checking for updates or installing available updates is mind-boggling.

Such behavior that undermines and ignores related settings and user customization is utterly unacceptable, free upgrade OS or not.

I am, in a way, happy though. Such annoyances will, perhaps increase the attention Linux deserves.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:04 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,185,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I've just done two upgrades last week from Windows 7 and ran into Windows Update errors and spent way too much time trying to fix them so forget all that.
What I found to work the best (and quickest) was to not use WindowsUpdate service and to upgrade via USB.

- Download the MS media creation tool onto a USB (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...oad/windows10/)
- Stop WindowsUpdate (bring up services.msc, locate WindowsUpdate and Stop it)
- Run the media creation tool setup on the USB
- Choose to install other patches/updates later

It seems whenever I try to find info on an electronic challenge it's like a Dr. talking medical jargon to me. I wish it was that easy for me to understand. So, I need a USB stick - and if so, how big? Something I've never used and don't have.

Appreciate the help though.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:19 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
It seems whenever I try to find info on an electronic challenge it's like a Dr. talking medical jargon to me. I wish it was that easy for me to understand. So, I need a USB stick - and if so, how big? Something I've never used and don't have.

Appreciate the help though.
The USB stick is external storage (think of it like a disk drive except without the disks) where you can drag/drop files onto it and take it anywhere you want.
The link I referenced has the instructions ... specifically, under the "Using the media creation tool".
PM or post back if you need help.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:04 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,711,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
July 29 is not the last day for anyone who bought a new system in recent months and Windows 7 came with it. We know two people who bought that way and both arrived as a Windows 7 "downgrade" and the Windows 10 disc was with it and does not expire so they say.
Will such Win 7 downgrade options be still available from sellers after July 29?

Old 07-22-2016, 05:19 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Will such Win 7 downgrade options be still available from sellers after July 29?
Downgrade rights are not new, they are not provided by PC retailers, it's a Microsoft thing. All recent qualifying Windows operating systems allowed it. The rights are persistent In a nutshell if you have a qualifying version of Windows 10 you can downgrade to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 as long as they are supported, meaning you can downgrade to Windows 7 until 2020. It get's a bit more complicated but that is the basics.

https://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/lic...de_rights.aspx

Old 07-22-2016, 08:05 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,711,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Downgrade rights are not new, they are not provided by PC retailers, it's a Microsoft thing. All recent qualifying Windows operating systems allowed it. The rights are persistent In a nutshell if you have a qualifying version of Windows 10 you can downgrade to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 as long as they are supported, meaning you can downgrade to Windows 7 until 2020. It get's a bit more complicated but that is the basics.

https://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/lic...de_rights.aspx
Thanks - good to know. I have no intention to upgrade to Win 10 now. Have had no problem with Win 7 whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers