Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 07:06 AM

718 posts, read 1,149,690 times

Advertisements

If you're trying to avoid Win 10 because of privacy concerns .....

Microsoft : "Resistance is futile. We will track your usage whether you are on Win 10, 8 or 7 anyway ....." .... Bwa, ha, ha, ha .... "We will wear you down. Nobody can stay alert forever." Bwa, ha, ha, ha ....

Apple: "No, we don't track your usage without your consent. But once you buy an Apple product and open an Apple Id, you have to give your consent. But we're not like evil Microsoft."

Linux: "Us too. We want money too. Just like Microsoft and Apple. Sure, you can inspect the code. But it's not the actual code that was compiled."

"Oh, you use Tails Linux or Kali Linux? ... Oh well, have a nice day!" (... now the NSA is interested ...)

"You wrote your own compiler? Ok, you win! We can't track your usage..... Just the sites that you visit.... "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 02:48 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post

Microsoft : "Resistance is futile. We will track your usage whether you are on Win 10, 8 or 7 anyway ....." .... Bwa, ha, ha, ha .... "We will wear you down. Nobody can stay alert forever." Bwa, ha, ha, ha ....

Apple: "No, we don't track your usage without your consent. But once you buy an Apple product and open an Apple Id, you have to give your consent. But we're not like evil Microsoft."

Linux: "Us too. We want money too. Just like Microsoft and Apple. Sure, you can inspect the code. But it's not the actual code that was compiled."

"Oh, you use Tails Linux or Kali Linux? ... Oh well, have a nice day!" (... now the NSA is interested ...)

"You wrote your own compiler? Ok, you win! We can't track your usage..... Just the sites that you visit.... "
How can you generalize over 1000 Linux distros?

Old 07-15-2016, 04:55 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times
Quote:

I can't say that I love the direction Microsoft has taken concerning privacy, but the most important thing that made me switch to Linux (Ubuntu) was the lousy performance I got from W on my older pc's. They did not perform well at all. Windows should have taken a page from Linux. Instead they have "one-size" fits all. With Linux there are light versions of OS's that perform very well on older computers such as mine (@ 2007 models). Now I don't have to worry about the all-too-often little spinning icon because some program was having a problem or too many tasks were trying to grab my pc resources or whatever. Those issues became worse when I tried W 10. But thankfully, I don't have those issues now.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:42 AM

718 posts, read 1,149,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
How can you generalize over 1000 Linux distros?
You're right. My bad. Off the cuff comment. Not ALL of Linux distros. But certainly the more popular Linux distros. Anyway, I'm sure you got the gist of that post - that most of your usage is being tracked anyway, be it from your computer, your smart phone or tablet. At your ISP. And quite possibly, even on some of the servers your transactions goes through. Mostly for a more focused service to the user. Nothing nefarious.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:34 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
You're right. My bad. Off the cuff comment. Not ALL of Linux distros. But certainly the more popular Linux distros. Anyway, I'm sure you got the gist of that post - that most of your usage is being tracked anyway, be it from your computer, your smart phone or tablet. At your ISP. And quite possibly, even on some of the servers your transactions goes through. Mostly for a more focused service to the user. Nothing nefarious.
You are most likely correct.

I was mostly teasing, anyway. Generalizing Linux distros is like herding cats in some ways ... you can't even assume things like glibc or the common coreutilities package in some cases, and I even seem to recall an experimental FreeBSD variant using a Linux kernel once upon a time. Might be misremembering that one. Hehe.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:17 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,328,096 times
Is anyone else having a problem with Windows 10 updates? Every time it updates itself my computer goes into sleep mode. I'm thinking of going back to Windows 8.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:10 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Fantastic! I can't wait for July 30th Maybe MS will finally cease and desist with the non-stop nagware on my work PCs.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:16 PM

14,477 posts, read 20,652,743 times
July 29 is not the last day for anyone who bought a new system in recent months and Windows 7 came with it. We know two people who bought that way and both arrived as a Windows 7 "downgrade" and the Windows 10 disc was with it and does not expire so they say.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:27 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
July 29 is not the last day for anyone who bought a new system in recent months and Windows 7 came with it. We know two people who bought that way and both arrived as a Windows 7 "downgrade" and the Windows 10 disc was with it and does not expire so they say.
That's an entirely different animal. A PC that comes with an OEM Windows 10 license has nothing to do with the free upgrade that Microsoft has been dolling out. The freebie (at least as of now) ends July 29th for EVERYONE. On a PC that shipped with Windows 10, it is good for the life of the computer, and also allows for a downgrade to Windows 7 if it's Windows 10 Pro or above, which is why those PC's had 7 on them.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:35 PM

14,477 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That's an entirely different animal. A PC that comes with an OEM Windows 10 license has nothing to do with the free upgrade that Microsoft has been dolling out. The freebie (at least as of now) ends July 29th for EVERYONE. On a PC that shipped with Windows 10, it is good for the life of the computer, and also allows for a downgrade to Windows 7 if it's Windows 10 Pro or above, which is why those PC's had 7 on them.
I'll be getting three new systems early next year and we'll see what systems have which O/S at that point in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers