Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:59 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times

Advertisements

I have a Compaq laptop that I bought new a few months ago. For the past month, it has been freezing up many times a day especially if you open a second window, close that one, then go to close the other..it is frozen. I can still move the pointer, just cant exit out. A lot of times the screen will go hazy and say internet explorer has stopped working, and I can either cancel it or let it restart IE. I am thinking it has something to do with Vista, but our desktop does not do this. Ran a virus and spyware scan, but did not find anything. Its really making us angry! What is going on???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 10:06 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
In my experience, the first thing to check is Toolbars (Google, AOL, MSN, Yahoo, etc.) Remove them all via Add/Remove programs. The reason is that they all include a popup blocker which is turned on by default. IE now has a popup blocker and the two often conflict, causing IE to lock up or behave in strange ways. With the search tool in IE, these toolbars are no longer needed.

There may be something else wrong, but that is the first thing I check.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:22 AM

733 posts, read 1,928,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I have a Compaq laptop that I bought new a few months ago. For the past month, it has been freezing up many times a day especially if you open a second window, close that one, then go to close the other..it is frozen. I can still move the pointer, just cant exit out. A lot of times the screen will go hazy and say internet explorer has stopped working, and I can either cancel it or let it restart IE. I am thinking it has something to do with Vista, but our desktop does not do this. Ran a virus and spyware scan, but did not find anything. Its really making us angry! What is going on???
First thing I would do is do a disk clean up then a defrag. It should be done regularly, don't know how often you do it......

Old 02-08-2009, 01:19 PM

905 posts, read 2,401,280 times
Get rid of IE!!!!!!! Get Firefox with NoScript/AdBlockPlus add ons or get Google Chrome. Then scan your comp for adware and do a virus check too.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:27 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
What antivirus/antispyware software are you using? In my experience, programs like Norton, McAfee, Spyware Doctor, Zone Alarm, eTrust, or any other big security software package causes problems like you're seeing. Compaq is also the king of preloading tons of crapware on new PCs that makes it run like its 5 years old, right out of the box. How much RAM do you have?

Old 02-08-2009, 03:43 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,538,841 times
I take the easy route with my lap top since I know little about computers. I simply take it to a local computer service for what I call a 'tune up'. They do whatever is neccessary to keep it running right. Costs me about $80 a year plus I pay an extra $25 for same day service. One thing they did suggest and which I have done is to buy a computer board. A plastic board the lap top sits on with fans in it to help pull warm air out of it. That seems to help a lot since I often have mine sitting on the couch.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:43 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What antivirus/antispyware software are you using? In my experience, programs like Norton, McAfee, Spyware Doctor, Zone Alarm, eTrust, or any other big security software package causes problems like you're seeing. Compaq is also the king of preloading tons of crapware on new PCs that makes it run like its 5 years old, right out of the box. How much RAM do you have?
Using the charter antivirus
2 gig ram I believe

Old 02-08-2009, 04:58 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,736,488 times
Quote:
Check the energy settings and make sure the hard drive is not turning off or the computer is going into sleep mode.

It is the best example of why I bought a Mac OS laptop.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:33 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times
I'd run defrag, first, and, maybe ChkDsk then CCleaner. You might be amazed at the number of temp files and cookies you have. Then go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, click the box by "Override automatic cookie handling. Then under Third party cookies, click Block.

You might have to get CCleaner from another computer, since your site is freezing so often. You can go ahead and clear cookies by clicking Tools, Options, then under Browsing History, click the Delete button. The rest is pretty intuitive. I'd just delete temporary files and cookies.

Oh yeah, one more thing. When you are deleting that stuff (re previous paragraph,) just have one window open.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:44 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Using the charter antivirus
2 gig ram I believe
Charter is a cable company, not a software company. They're just giving or selling you something someone else wrote. What program is it really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers