Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 AM

754 posts, read 1,018,491 times

Advertisements

i always tell people who wanna move to simsbury, avon, new hartford etc... to be careful. they all end up HATING the fact highways are so far away. move to glastonbury or farmington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 02:25 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixum View Post
i always tell people who wanna move to simsbury, avon, new hartford etc... to be careful. they all end up HATING the fact highways are so far away. move to glastonbury or farmington.
There are people who love the feeling of being away from everything. There are people that love it and there are people that hate it. Farmington is considered to be only marginally better since it has limited connections to the highway. I do agree that Glastonbury is more accessable and is a great place to live. I just happen to live there.

To the OP have you considered other areas? Woodbridge was mentioned but what about Orange or the beautiful shoreline towns east of New Haven, Branford, Guilford and Madison? Jay

Old 02-01-2011, 03:44 PM

12 posts, read 25,070 times
I have not considered other areas only because Avon seems like an affluent town very similar to Wilton,the big difference being I can get the same home & quality of life,but at half the price! I get the feeling that it is very conservative and I am not yet sure that I will fit it seeing that I am a former New Yorker who used to work in the fashion industry. Eventhough Wilton is mellow, I can always pop into Westport or Greenwich to get that trendy hip vibe. There are a few celebrities who live in Wilton which makes it very interesting, but at the same time it is just so expensive when you see what you can get elsewhere in CT. The high cost of living is what is making me think about exploring other options, but I want to remain in a town that is upscale.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:04 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Then Avon is great for you. You also might want to check out Woodbridge as Nep suggested, or for a more beachy vibe, Madison along the central CT shoreline. Beautiful towns.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:36 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddessCT View Post
We have lived in Wilton for 6 years and love it here, but since my husband works from home and does not need to commute to NYC we are considering moving to a less expensive town in CT. We feel that we can get more for our money and have a better quality of life living in Avon. Since we have 2 school age children who are very involved with their friends, sports etc. we are concerned about uprooting them from a place that they have always called home. Our thoughts about relocating are purely economic and since the cost of living is so expensive in Wilton and all of Fairfield County we are exploring Avon.
How do your children feel about moving and leaving their friends and activities?

After 6 years, I don't really understand why you would want to leave a town you say you love and leave your friends? I am very emotionally tied to the people of my town and my friends and family here...can't imagine wanting to leave it. But for me, quality of living doesn't equal a bigger house, either.

Other than your mortgage, the cost of living of everything else is going to be the same. Only you can decide if that is worth it for your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
I won't move but I will probably downsize.
Yes, this would be the answer for me, as well.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:45 PM

680 posts, read 1,576,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddessCT View Post
I have not considered other areas only because Avon seems like an affluent town very similar to Wilton,the big difference being I can get the same home & quality of life,but at half the price! I get the feeling that it is very conservative and I am not yet sure that I will fit it seeing that I am a former New Yorker who used to work in the fashion industry. Eventhough Wilton is mellow, I can always pop into Westport or Greenwich to get that trendy hip vibe. There are a few celebrities who live in Wilton which makes it very interesting, but at the same time it is just so expensive when you see what you can get elsewhere in CT. The high cost of living is what is making me think about exploring other options, but I want to remain in a town that is upscale.
Can you list out your highest expenses for living in Wilton?

For me:
1) property tax
2) heating oil
3) Did I mention property tax?

Apart from taxes and heating oil, I don't see how living is much more expensive than other places. Is Costco at Norwalk more expensive than Costco at Avon?

Old 02-01-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I would not call Avon an "average location". It is an upscale suburb of a major US city and is considered to be one of the most desirable towns in the state. Despite most New Yorker's opinion, the world does not revolve around the city. And not everyone aspires to work in New York or have their children work there. A child can do just as well in life living in Avon as they can living in a distant suburb of NY. Jay
Is Avon is in a location deemed as 'desirable' as Wilton by market forces, why aren't property prices the same? If you disagree the term "average location" maybe I should have used "pretty good but just not as good as Wilton location" (determined by the market).

I didn't say the world revolves around NYC, but market forces clearly do and for good reasons.

Maybe the op can save more $$$ by moving to Avon but I will not sacrifice a good location for a ""pretty good but just not as good as old house location" in a down market unless financial difficulties push me to the limit.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:52 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Again you are talking like New York is the only place to live because it is so expensive. With that reasoning the OP should only be looking in Manhattan or should move to Greenwich, New Canaan or Darien where prices are even higher than Wilton. Don't get me wrong, Wilton is beautiful but it is expensive and if someone want a nice home at a more reasonable price then it may not be the best place to live.

The reason Avon is less is that it is located in a completely different metropolitain area and one that is not as expensive. There are not many metropolitain areas as expensive as New York. NY is insanely expensive because there are so many people squeezed into a small area. Avon is an excellent location. It is a desirable upscale suburb of a major metropolitain city.

As for the comments on the OP not moving, I will tell you that now is the best time to move while their child is young. Theu will make new friends wherever you settle.

To the OP - If you want to stay near things in Fairfield County why not just move further out like Fairfield, Easton or Trumbull. These are upscale towns yet you won't be far from New York. Jay

Old 02-01-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Again you are talking like New York is the only place to live because it is so expensive. With that reasoning the OP should only be looking in Manhattan or should move to Greenwich, New Canaan or Darien where prices are even higher than Wilton. Don't get me wrong, Wilton is beautiful but it is expensive and if someone want a nice home at a more reasonable price then it may not be the best place to live.

The reason Avon is less is that it is located in a completely different metropolitain area and one that is not as expensive. There are not many metropolitain areas as expensive as New York. NY is insanely expensive because there are so many people squeezed into a small area. Avon is an excellent location. It is a desirable upscale suburb of a major metropolitain city.

As for the comments on the OP not moving, I will tell you that now is the best time to move while their child is young. Theu will make new friends wherever you settle.

To the OP - If you want to stay near things in Fairfield County why not just move further out like Fairfield, Easton or Trumbull. These are upscale towns yet you won't be far from New York. Jay
That's true. It is the perfect time to move (when children are young) and worst time to move (bad market conditions). Since the op wants to move due to financial reasons, I want to point out the benefits lost in the long term and let her size if it is worth it.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:56 AM

243 posts, read 774,167 times
No offense, but the OP wants an upscale town but not at Wilton prices.

You are looking at Avon because you've heard that it is the most upscale town outside of Fairfield County. Are you sure your even going to like Avon?

Let's be honest here, upscale in lower FFC is a lot different than upscale in Avon. Avon is a beautiful town, but I don't think it's nearly as pretentious as Wilton, Weston, Westport, etc. The thing with Avon is that regular people can work there, and I know that because I've seen it first hand. Those same people couldn't touch a property in Wilton.

Don't move to a town because you want upscale. Upscale for one is subjective. Once again, you may think Avon is upscale by what people say, but where you're coming from originally (Manhattan and Wilton) than you may be in for shock, even though it is a wealthy town.

I mean if you want great schools, family environment, etc. why not stay in FFC and move to Trumbull, Monroe or Newtown? Or how about Woodbridge or Madison?

Avon's upscale and beautiful but there are great towns everywhere, don't limit your choices from what you've heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut