Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 11:21 AM

220 posts, read 525,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Am I wrong in saying that DeStefano is an incompetent mayor?
Certainly not. Unfortunately people here keep voting him in.

I don't think there have been obvious effects of the police officers being laid off yet...that will come later, unfortunately. I'll certainly be a little more careful, although my area is generally well policed by both NHPD and Yale PD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 11:30 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inetlom View Post
Certainly not. Unfortunately people here keep voting him in.

I don't think there have been obvious effects of the police officers being laid off yet...that will come later, unfortunately. I'll certainly be a little more careful, although my area is generally well policed by both NHPD and Yale PD.
Well, thank God he didn't win in the governor's race, LOL! After I started hearing more and more about crime going up in his city I started thinking "thank God I voted for Jodi Rell." Oh, for the good ole days.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:26 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,956,053 times
This is seriously not cool. Now, an already dangerous city will most likely become even more dangerous.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:56 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
This is seriously not cool. Now, an already dangerous city will most likely become even more dangerous.
I know a few that have gotten laid off from smaller towns, which IMO is more justifiable due to a smaller population and lower crime rate. But in a city where violent crime has gone up drastically in the past few months and years, layoffs in public safety should be the last to go.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:19 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Whoa! That's just crazy.

The first paragraph of the story:

LOL, yes, it just made me laugh out aloud LMAO

What else do you expect from a union leader Quite the Bolshevik tactic. They should now go on a road march, then a hunger strike.

I wish Steve Bell could do cartoons on US internal politics and social life.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:43 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,460,202 times
Did the police union leave out the fact that the only reason they are laying off 16 people is because they were again unwilling to agree to a single cut in their bloated pay/benefits packages at a time when EVERYONE in the private sector is hurting?

I'm sick of hearing these "boo-hoo" stories about cops and firefighters. Do they do a noble job? Certainly. Does their union deserve to bankrupt a city? Absolutely not! I hope New Haven and all other cities like them file a chapter 9 to get rid of these unsustainable contracts once and for all.

They came out with the same rhetoric in Newark and yet somehow, the town hasn't burned down yet. Way to hold the lines, unions. Worked great for Chrysler and GM.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:09 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
Did the police union leave out the fact that the only reason they are laying off 16 people is because they were again unwilling to agree to a single cut in their bloated pay/benefits packages at a time when EVERYONE in the private sector is hurting?

I'm sick of hearing these "boo-hoo" stories about cops and firefighters. Do they do a noble job? Certainly. Does their union deserve to bankrupt a city? Absolutely not! I hope New Haven and all other cities like them file a chapter 9 to get rid of these unsustainable contracts once and for all.

They came out with the same rhetoric in Newark and yet somehow, the town hasn't burned down yet. Way to hold the lines, unions. Worked great for Chrysler and GM.
Ummmm, nobody is "boo-hooing" the loss of jobs so much as the fact that they're scaling back law enforcement in an already crime-infested area. That's what makes this so galling. IMO what would make more sense would be to do what Ed Koch did when the transport workers went on strike in the early '80s - he shot down the union and they gave in after two weeks. I would rather see THAT happen, JMHO.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:17 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,460,202 times
You can halt transit for two weeks. What tactic was the mayor going to use to strongarm the police union? What they always use..."OK, we'll just lay off x number of your employees, then."

The union made their choice. Now, it's blood on their hands. They are claiming armeggedon, wanting the public to demand more cops, effectively making them whole again. It's a total fear tactic. And a pathetic one at that.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:19 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Ummmm, nobody is "boo-hooing" the loss of jobs so much as the fact that they're scaling back law enforcement in an already crime-infested area. That's what makes this so galling. IMO what would make more sense would be to do what Ed Koch did when the transport workers went on strike in the early '80s - he shot down the union and they gave in after two weeks. I would rather see THAT happen, JMHO.
Exactly. And what people are forgetting are the ludicrous taxpayer funded programs, and the BS city jobs. You want to talk bloated pay? Fine. Go for the lieutenants, captains and chiefs. Go for the superintendents, principals, and administrators. Cut the mayor's pay, if you want to talk concessions. DON'T cut the little guys (patrolman, teachers, etc) who are the heart of the organization.

Also - how much in overtime will New Haven have to pay for the PD? North Haven paid OT for patrolmen at least one shift per day, which would amount to A LOT more than the 45k a patrolman would start off at.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:23 PM

257 posts, read 610,403 times
Our standard of living is getting lower and lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut