Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 02:00 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I was there for the VIP preview party. My burger was totally up to the New Haven standards. Hopefully that remains true.
Good to hear. I find Prime 16 better overall than Plan B, and now I won't need to go all the way to New Haven to get a fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 02:16 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Not sure if anyone's mentioned it, but Two Roads Brewery in Stratford is a pretty great place to visit.

A 104,000 square foot antique factory that's been turned into a large brewery. They have a gigantic tasting room that overlooks the brewing equipment. They do mostly contract brewing, but their own beers are pretty good - especially for a brand new offering.

They also have a food truck parked outside on most Saturdays.
I suppose its not fair to compare them with NEBCo (or Hooker for that matter), but I've been a little underwhelmed with the Two Roads offerings I've had so far. The pilsner and saison were meh, but I found the white IPA to be interesting. Still have not tried the double IPA, but I find it strange they offer a double IPA and a white IPA, but no regular IPA.

Still, more local breweries is a good thing, and I am excited to check it out.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:26 PM

209 posts, read 247,799 times
New Britain
la BullBoxer31 ( small family owned place great american and polish food)
paradise pizza, italian with huge grinders large portions and good pizza
angelicos Italian great specials on friday night prime rib and seafood specials for under 12 bucks
East side german food get the potato pancakes yummy

newington
yannis italian and some greek
cavos greek

Berlin
pizza world (formaly of farmington) italian and huge portions pizza grinders and more

Cromwell
Cromwell dinner

West Hartford
cheesecake factory
elbow room
tappas Greek
cornner pug
the counter Burgers
plan B burgers
ac petersons they serve food but ther home made ice cream is the best
a little something bakery ( best cupcake around)

southington
wood and tap
anthony jacks

new haven
frank peppes
sally
shake shack
sugar cupcakes

old saybrook
fresh salt at saybrook point
johny adds
lenny and joes
bills seafood ( they also have a huge ice cream shop and landlover foods)
penny lane pub
jack rabbit
monkey farm ( bar)
comfort inn ( food and bar)
back porch

niantic
sunset ribs

Clinton
rockys aqua

Old 06-03-2013, 09:29 AM

627 posts, read 1,058,697 times
We finally made it over to Two Roads yesterday. Very impressive setup they have there. $2 for a taster glass, $5/6 for a pint or 0.5 liter depending on the beer. They have flights for $10 but they don't cover all the beers on tap, just the four "standard" plus the seasonal (a Maibock at the moment.) But since there's no price break for the $10 flight over 5 $2 tasters, that doesn't really matter. We just made our own flight.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:04 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
I suppose its not fair to compare them with NEBCo (or Hooker for that matter), but I've been a little underwhelmed with the Two Roads offerings I've had so far. The pilsner and saison were meh, but I found the white IPA to be interesting. Still have not tried the double IPA, but I find it strange they offer a double IPA and a white IPA, but no regular IPA.

Still, more local breweries is a good thing, and I am excited to check it out.
I like them better than Hooker, not as much as NEBCo. I believe they are actually contract brewing for Hooker.

Other microbreweries have been around for a while in CT. I think they will only get better with time. Their special/seasonal brews have been their best. The White IPA is pretty good too. My IPA-loving friend loves the Double IPA, but it's bit too hoppy for my tastes.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:13 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I used to swear by Vinny's pizza. I haven't been there in years though because the quality became wildly inconsistent. The crust started getting thicker, and the sauce was often bitter. If you do go, i'd suggest not doing so at night as i've noticed drug dealing in that area.

Salerno's is another one that is pretty inconsistent as well. I've never had a bad pizza from them, but it is hit/miss and even at their best, they aren't fantastic.

Paradise makes a good Greek pizza. The rest of their menu is OK. Don't order the veal though. Acropolis in Stratford seems to be about equal to Paradise, IMHO.

My favorite for Greek pizza in the general area is the Captain's on Main Street in Bridgeport. Other Captain's locations have left me dissatisfied, but not Main Street. It's always good.

Edit to add: The Vazzy's on Broadbridge at the Bridgeport/Stratford line really, REALLY went downhill. I can no longer recommend them.
I just realized that i forgot to explain the reason why i'm lukewarm about Salerno's. It's the cheese. I'm just not a fan of Cutrufello's cheeses, especially the ricotta. I ordered a calzone the other day and the thing was ridiculously massive, enough to feed 3 people and well worth the $$$. But i didn't eat very much, unfortunately. The taste/texture of Cutrufello's ricotta is a turn off for me.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:55 AM

4 posts, read 5,197 times
Default what is the best cusine at connecticut

someone plz tell the best spot to eat out at connecticut and the specialties of it

Old 06-11-2013, 12:11 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karthigaa View Post
someone plz tell the best spot to eat out at connecticut and the specialties of it
Wow, too broad a question. What types of cuisine do you prefer? Lots of diversity and choices around the state. You may want to pose a more specific question, and/or check out the thread specially dedicated to this topic:

The CT Foodie Destination Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 12:14 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Yeah, check out that thread.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:25 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I am going to merge this with the other thread already discussing this topic. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut