Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 08:46 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times

Advertisements

Pennsylvania was also turned downed recently for trying to add a toll to I-81 which I think is a.k.a "The Pennsylvania turnpike"

How does Delaware get away with having a toll on I-95 at the DE/MD border ?

All this talk of tolls and no one remembers there was a toll on the old charter oak bridge in Hartford? That was the loneliest bridge I ever saw since everyone would take alternate routes even though it only costs .35 cents

Old 04-04-2012, 06:06 AM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Pennsylvania was also turned downed recently for trying to add a toll to I-81 which I think is a.k.a "The Pennsylvania turnpike"

All this talk of tolls and no one remembers there was a toll on the old charter oak bridge in Hartford? That was the loneliest bridge I ever saw since everyone would take alternate routes even though it only costs .35 cents
Those days of the charter Oak Bridge being lonely are long gone. It now serves as the connection between I-84 east of Hartford and I-91 south of Hartford. There are so many cars using it now that there are backups on ramps to/from I-91 and the state will need to widen them in the future. It is already on the regional planning agency's list of projects.

As for the toll in Delaware, it was built before the highway became I-95. Same goes for highways like the Pennsylvania Turnpike, the New Jersey Turnpike and the New York Thruway. Even though they are designated interstate highways, they were not built as one. Jay

Old 04-04-2012, 06:12 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:

PA wanted it on I-80 in the Poconos (and I believe on I-81 through the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area), the PA Turnpike by definition is tolled since it was built before Interstates and was "grandfathered in" (which BTW is I-76 in the south of the state with an extension called I-476 going north from suburban Philly to Scranton.

Delaware the same reason, it's a turnpike built before the Interstates. Again, CT had the same "grandfathering" but chose (wisely I think, though a border toll a la I-95 in NY might have still made sense) to give them up. Even NY gave up some of their old "parkway" tolls at the NYC/Westchester border bad around the same time CT gave them up.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:01 AM

83,524 posts, read 75,333,969 times
8:45am April 4, wpqe.

Accident Merrit north before exit 39. Just happened. 4 cars involved. Car on left up ahead badly damaged in front end.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:02 AM

And now accident Southbound near exit 49. Southbound is closed!! Cops on scene.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
The PA Turnpike is 545 miles aka I76 I276 I376 I476. It appears to receive no state or federal highway funding. As I understand it, besides self funding their operation, they now (after the feds turned down PA's request to add tolls to I80) direct newly hiked toll revenues to PennDOT for maintenance on other PA roads and Interstates. This is partly driven by reduced gas tax revenues from lower consumption. Nothing is simple. This situation is similar in other states.

Get to Know Us - PA Turnpike
(http://www.paturnpike.com/gettoknowus/act44.aspx - broken link)

Old 04-04-2012, 01:57 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Camb...

Do you listen to a scanner and hop in your car to go check out the accident scene? Just curious - you always seem to have firsthand pics...

Old 04-04-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Camb...

Do you listen to a scanner and hop in your car to go check out the accident scene? Just curious - you always seem to have firsthand pics...
No scanner. No internet. No TV. No checking before I hit the road. The Very Last thing on Earth I want to do is sit in traffic to get a picture. LOL. But I'm glad you brought that up. I'm glad someone realizes these are just me witnessing these things when I'm on the road. Can you imagine when I'm not on it??

I do a lot of driving for work but literally on the highways twice a day (back and forth) just at different times.

Like I said, I once wrote down every single accident I saw and it took up 2 pages within a month or so. Just today I saw 2.

Maybe we'll be able to use these to prove the roads and drivers are a complete mess on a continous basis at all hours any day.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:31 PM

4/6/12. 8:00pm.

Merritt Pkwy closed both ways by exit 35 in Stamford due to accident

Old 04-09-2012, 04:38 PM

519 posts, read 744,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Those days of the charter Oak Bridge being lonely are long gone. It now serves as the connection between I-84 east of Hartford and I-91 south of Hartford. There are so many cars using it now that there are backups on ramps to/from I-91 and the state will need to widen them in the future. It is already on the regional planning agency's list of projects.

As for the toll in Delaware, it was built before the highway became I-95. Same goes for highways like the Pennsylvania Turnpike, the New Jersey Turnpike and the New York Thruway. Even though they are designated interstate highways, they were not built as one. Jay

I forgot right after you cross over the Del bridge you enter NJ and pay another toll right? I tried searching about the toll on the Delaware bridge but can't find much about it at least back when it was put up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut