Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 07:12 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,859,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
^ I bet we got more trees than NJ
Nah , they do more pruning and up keep down here....we have the same amount of trees...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 07:23 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,010,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
You would think the Rich / super rich in CT would have a power plant to lite up there home in case of this , I guess not...
Whole house generation (REAL generators, not portables) is not that expensive. I don't know why people have the perception that it's only for the "rich". You can get a 20kw generator which is the equal to basically full 100amp service, for under $4000.00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Nah , they do more pruning and up keep down here....we have the same amount of trees...
I'd like to know how you know they do more upkeep? And I would argue that NJ aside from your neck of the state does not have the same heavily forested landscape with such old mature trees.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:29 AM

83,527 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I can't tell you how bad it is up around where I am. My street alone...maybe 1/4 mile long at best? Starting with my house at the end on the corner of the short dead end road that T's, big oak crashed down across my driveway taking out a retaining wall and some wires. One house over on the T street has an upside down tree top in the primary and a huge oak limb across his driveway. The house across the street from me several big oak branches down, my neighbor had a tree on his shed, his wires ripped off his house by three large branches, the guy across the street from him had a tree hit his house, and there are two widow makers hanging on the wires. Two houses down a HUGE pine tree is down, across the street from that there is another widow maker in the primary, one house down there is a tree on a slope that up rooted and came down on the wires mashing them flat to the ground. All that in about 600' of road from my house. It's nasty bad, and just continues to the surrounding streets and neighborhoods.

My back yard and property has probably 15 large branches down all over the place (Like huge branches off of large 75 year old oaks.), and at least 12 widow makers hanging. Several trees need to be taken down as they look like a tornado came through and topped them off.

It's not much different around town either. I went into Vernon and it's just wrecked. Every other house has wires or trees down.

It's really really bad here. There is nowhere that is not affected badly.
This is insane. Its one thing to think about the devastation and its another to hear about it and actualy see it in person.

Surprisingly I have not seen pics not even from the media. Not even the power company is taking them like they did with Irene.

Does anyone have pics for us??

Old 11-02-2011, 05:06 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
I can't tell you how bad it is up around where I am. My street alone...maybe 1/4 mile long at best? Starting with my house at the end on the corner of the short dead end road that T's, big oak crashed down across my driveway taking out a retaining wall and some wires. One house over on the T street has an upside down tree top in the primary and a huge oak limb across his driveway. The house across the street from me several big oak branches down, my neighbor had a tree on his shed, his wires ripped off his house by three large branches, the guy across the street from him had a tree hit his house, and there are two widow makers hanging on the wires. Two houses down a HUGE pine tree is down, across the street from that there is another widow maker in the primary, one house down there is a tree on a slope that up rooted and came down on the wires mashing them flat to the ground. All that in about 600' of road from my house. It's nasty bad, and just continues to the surrounding streets and neighborhoods.

My back yard and property has probably 15 large branches down all over the place (Like huge branches off of large 75 year old oaks.), and at least 12 widow makers hanging. Several trees need to be taken down as they look like a tornado came through and topped them off.

It's not much different around town either. I went into Vernon and it's just wrecked. Every other house has wires or trees down.

It's really really bad here. There is nowhere that is not affected badly.
Jeeze. That's terrible. We only got about 4-5" in Branford but there were branches down EVERYWHERE. We lost power Saturday but it came back on Monday afternoon. I can't imagine how bad it is in the towns that saw 10+" of snow. Like another poster said, I haven't even seen many photos. I'm wondering if it's because so many streets are impassable.

If anyone needs anything (gas, food, water, blankets, a pet-sitter), DM me.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:45 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,155,272 times
I have a couple photos on my phone (don't know how to upload from there though). However, some pictures I wanted to to take, I didn't because I didn't feel it was safe to pull over and get out of my car at that time.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:01 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,804,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
This is insane. Its one thing to think about the devastation and its another to hear about it and actualy see it in person.

Surprisingly I have not seen pics not even from the media. Not even the power company is taking them like they did with Irene.

I tried to post some pictures but I don't have a current photo-hosting account. The system won't let me directly post pictures I took into my posts.

I wish I had taken more pictures. Here in Granby, the number of trees down is unbelievable. It clearly was a significant storm event since many of the trees were well over 100 years old and of substantial size. The fact that utility poles snapped in half in numerous places says a lot about the the power of the weight coupled with the wind.

Even today there are many trees barely hanging on over the roadways as well as leaning against the power lines. This is a dangerous condition because a strong wind could lead to some tragic consequences.

I have tremendous respect for the many people out there trying to clean up and restore the power. This should be a wake up call as to the importance of these professions in our society as well as the need to repair, rebuild, and replace our aging infrastructure.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:12 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Pics from the morning after, taken in our WH neighborhood
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00064-20111030-0916.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	473.5 KB
ID:	86886

Name:	IMG00066-20111030-0918.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	86887

Name:	IMG00067-20111030-0918.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	86888

Old 11-02-2011, 11:50 AM

573 posts, read 971,249 times
Quote:
Whole house generation (REAL generators, not portables) is not that expensive. I don't know why people have the perception that it's only for the "rich". You can get a 20kw generator which is the equal to basically full 100amp service, for under $4000.00.

I'd like to know how you know they do more upkeep? And I would argue that NJ aside from your neck of the state does not have the same heavily forested landscape with such old mature trees.
It depends on where you are. There are parts of Bergen county that have few if any, and then you travel to other parts and get lost in the woods at night. I think, the thing to remember, is that many of these trees are too close to power lines and it is generally expensive to prune them professionally. Someone on my block hired a guy from a local landscaper, not the landscaping company itself, last year to do some trimming since the weather has been getting more extreme in recent memory.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:09 PM

633 posts, read 1,645,231 times
Well whats funny is that I have a tree nexts to me that is well over 150 years old that is about 4 or 5 or maybe 6 floor high with all green leafs (still green) not one branch that broke off. I had faith that tree was going to make it through and suprise that mimosa tree made it as well. Actually, all the trees on my street made it through, even if there are wires up in the air. I feel so blessed on this second round of not lossing power!

Old 11-02-2011, 12:57 PM

625 posts, read 2,051,159 times
Here are some pictures from our neighborhood in the West End of Hartford... Greater Hartford Real Estate Blog » Surviving the October Storm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut