Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 09:15 AM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lginlg View Post
Yes. Both quality and quantity. Union League may be best resto in the state, the city's craft cocktail scene pushes the envelope, and of course there's NH's legendary Apizza scene.

Westport on the rise with chefs like Bill and Jeff Taibe, Brian Lewis, Carlos Biaz, bolstered by the hometown presence of CTBites, probably the most influential culinary blog in the state.

Per capita, New Canaan and West Hartford have great chops for small towns. Simsbury coming on.

Stamford enjoys ethnic diversity, from Ethiopian to Korean to Indian to Australian. Finally 3 new noodle shops. And the downtown T area sports over 80 different restaurants, though none boasts exquisite dining.

Hartford and Greenwich disappoint.

And then there's those unpretentious sea food shacks along CT shoreline above New Haven (Lobster Lane) that shine with the sun each summer. I contend our indigenous warm, buttery lobster rolls even outrank Pizza as Connecticut's iconic food.
Westport is very good, although sometimes the product doesn't always match the hype/price.

I would say good lobster rolls can be found even west of New Haven. Seven Seas, Lobster Hut, Ripka's, Westfair, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 02:40 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lginlg View Post
Yes. Both quality and quantity. Union League may be best resto in the state, the city's craft cocktail scene pushes the envelope, and of course there's NH's legendary Apizza scene.

Westport on the rise with chefs like Bill and Jeff Taibe, Brian Lewis, Carlos Biaz, bolstered by the hometown presence of CTBites, probably the most influential culinary blog in the state.

Per capita, New Canaan and West Hartford have great chops for small towns. Simsbury coming on.

Stamford enjoys ethnic diversity, from Ethiopian to Korean to Indian to Australian. Finally 3 new noodle shops. And the downtown T area sports over 80 different restaurants, though none boasts exquisite dining.

Hartford and Greenwich disappoint.

And then there's those unpretentious sea food shacks along CT shoreline above New Haven (Lobster Lane) that shine with the sun each summer. I contend our indigenous warm, buttery lobster rolls even outrank Pizza as Connecticut's iconic food.
Interesting--I'm going to visit New Haven pretty soon, so I'll start looking up Union League. I might have time to do a quick stop-off by one of the train stations between NYC and New Haven. Any particular recommendations as a quick-ish meal and sightsee along that route (close to a station)?

Old 10-24-2018, 06:55 PM

982 posts, read 599,030 times
I might be a *bit* biased, but if you take exit 18 and drive down Greens Farms -> Beachside -> Pequot Ave from Westport into Fairfield that is a beautiful drive!

+ then you can get a lobster roll in downtown FFLD!

-Proud

Old 10-24-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Interesting--I'm going to visit New Haven pretty soon, so I'll start looking up Union League. I might have time to do a quick stop-off by one of the train stations between NYC and New Haven. Any particular recommendations as a quick-ish meal and sightsee along that route (close to a station)?
Will you have a car?

In New Haven, pizza is kind of a must. Pepe’s, Sally’s, Modern, BAR. Or even newer ones like Da Legna or Next Door. You’ll be hard pressed to find any better in the country. Otherwise, open Yelp and pick a cuisine and you won’t be disappointed.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:44 PM

10,086 posts, read 14,952,774 times
I decided to post this here because Wallingford is a small town with not much happening in terms of infrastructural and economic developments. Doesn’t makes sense to start a thread for that town alone. It’s in New Haven county and that makes it part of Greater New Haven.

With that said, Wallingford is at the national forefront regarding the new format Dunkin Donuts will be applying in all their stores. Anyone that wants to experience the new Dunkin Donuts before the rest of humanity, go to the one on 1101 North Colony Road.

More information and photos in the link:

Stamford Advocate - Revamped Dunkin’ Donuts in Wallingford provides a glimpse into chain’s future

Old 10-30-2018, 09:30 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Will you have a car?

In New Haven, pizza is kind of a must. Pepe’s, Sally’s, Modern, BAR. Or even newer ones like Da Legna or Next Door. You’ll be hard pressed to find any better in the country. Otherwise, open Yelp and pick a cuisine and you won’t be disappointed.
I will not have a car. Thanks for your suggestions!

Old 10-30-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I will not have a car. Thanks for your suggestions!
As far as stop offs, Milford, Fairfield, South Norwalk (Plus Maritime Aquarium), Darien, and Greenwich have nice walkable downtown areas near the train station. Rowayton and Southport are also beautiful coastal areas to explore that are a short walk from their train stations.

New Haven has quite a lot to explore by foot. The Yale art museums are spectacular.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:06 PM

1,241 posts, read 902,278 times
Wallingford is hardly a small town. It’s also had quite a few new businesses open up over the past few years not to mention a brand new rail station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
decided to post this here because Wallingford is a small town with not much happening in terms of infrastructural and economic developments. Doesn’t makes sense to start a thread for that town alone. It’s in New Haven county and that makes it part of Greater New Haven.

With that said, Wallingford is at the national forefront regarding the new format Dunkin Donuts will be applying in all their stores. Anyone that wants to experience the new Dunkin Donuts before the rest of humanity, go to the one on 1101 North Colony Road.

More information and photos in the link:

Stamford Advocate - Revamped Dunkin’ Donuts in Wallingford provides a glimpse into chain’s future

Old 11-13-2018, 11:41 PM

New music venue from College Street Music Hall operators

https://www.newhavenindependent.org/...reet_wins_bid/

Old 11-14-2018, 06:45 AM

107 posts, read 57,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
New music venue from College Street Music Hall operators

https://www.newhavenindependent.org/...reet_wins_bid/
This is great! I love College Street Music Hall and it will be nice to have a venue of this size in the heart of downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut