Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 06:54 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Here we go again.

Since June was just slightly above normal at several NWS stations (and even slightly below at a few as well), I was thinking a very typical July and August for much of the Tri-State area. Yet, so far this month we seem to have slipped right back deep into hotter and drier than normal conditions: NWS Bridgeport is now running more than 5 F above normalnot a single day this month had normal or below normal mean temps. There looks to be some closer to average heat by this coming weekend (mid 80’s) but certainly no below normal temps for the rest of the month (or close to it). Bridgeport might be looking at the 17th consecutive month with above normal temperatures if this occurs.

Also, the monthly mean temperature at Bridgeport has been 78.8 F….that’s not far off the normal July monthly mean temperature for Richmond, Virginia (79.2 F). 2012 seems to be heading for the warmest year on record at NWS Bridgeport if things don’t change and very soon:

What I find most interesting about it is that we really haven't had any "super hot" days (i.e. 100+, though I admit in Bridgeport it's rarer than other local stations), just every day consistently being a few degrees above normal. I've noticed it too, Central Park is at 81-deg average so far, which would be #2 all time if the month ended now. Yet it's only been 95 or above twice and only 6 days were at or above 90 (granted, a lot of highs of 89 in there).

Old 07-17-2012, 06:05 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Who wants the NAM model to be right for Tuesdays temps?
NAM was completely off (and still continues to be). There wont be any 100 readings around here. Mid 90s tops. Hartford, Tolland, Windham all with heat advisories today with heat indexes up near 102 because of high dewpoints.

* VT, NH, ME all going to get severe/damaging weather today.
* NY, MA, CT all going to get severe weather tomorrow(Wednesday after 2pm) So head up.
* Cold front sweeps through Wed. with Canadien High behind it and 50s at night here (60s near coast) Thus/Fri/Sat.

My thinking:

Today: Hot, Humid & Dry, 91-94
Wed: Warm, Humid & Afternoon storms 89-93°/58-64°
Thursday: Dry seasonable, cool night. 85-88°/56-61°
Friday: Dry, slightly below normal, cool night. 81-84°/54-60°
Saturday: Best Weekend day. Seasonable & Dry.
Sunday: Chance of Rain, Warmer

Old 07-17-2012, 01:57 PM

Default Severe Weather July 18, 2012

Alright guys... Lots of ingrediants prime for severe weather tomorrow. Its rare to see red coverage from SPC. Dont let the percentage fool you. Just look at where the coverage is. In this case all of CT is in for it tomorrow. I dont think Tornado will be a threat but more Lighting, Winds(40mph+ possible), and flash flooding like the last one to hit SWCT.

Upton:

SURFACE TROUGHING...HIGH DEW POINT TEMPS...COLD FRONT...MODERATE
SHEAR AND ABUNDANT INSTABILITY ALL POINT TOWARDS STRONG
CONVECTION.

WITH CONVECTIVE TEMPS OF AROUND 32C...EXPECT ATMOSPHERE WILL BEING
TO FIRE OFF AROUND NOON. MAIN THREATS OF SEVERE WEATHER APPEAR TO
BE STRAIGHT LINE WINDS AND LOCALIZED FLASH FLOODING. LACK OF LOW
LEVEL SHEAR/VEERING AND HIGH LCL`S WOULD NOT SUGGEST ANY TORNADIC
DEVELOPMENTS.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:45 PM

Default July 17, 2012 Temps

Afternoon temps from today, July 17, 2012.I believe they are the highs (not 100%)

Good old dog day of summer in mid July. lol

Old 07-17-2012, 06:12 PM

Check out some reports in Vermont and N.H. Lets hope we dont see this down here tomorrow. When you see a reports with just a couple words that says "Trees Down All Over Town" thats scary. And its not over yet there.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/25216410-post520.html

Old 07-18-2012, 04:48 AM

Cold front drops down tonight and stalls south of us. But we have to deal with some strong storms first.

I'm thinking around 2pm will be the first "spotty" "batch" here and there. Then again at 4pm. Then a line develops around 6pm and crosses the entire state. These storms will develope QUICK today so just because its not on radar, it could be within 30 minutes and severe too.

NOT EVERYONE will experience severe but chances are it will happen somewhere so be on the alert.

It was in the 80s at midnight last night. Dew points near 70.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:22 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
What I find most interesting about it is that we really haven't had any "super hot" days (i.e. 100+, though I admit in Bridgeport it's rarer than other local stations), just every day consistently being a few degrees above normal. I've noticed it too, Central Park is at 81-deg average so far, which would be #2 all time if the month ended now. Yet it's only been 95 or above twice and only 6 days were at or above 90 (granted, a lot of highs of 89 in there).
Yes, the NWS station at Bridgeport (I think ) is very close, if not on the water, so 90’s and 100’s are more rare it seems. Also, agree that there seems to be a strong consistency to the heat this summer, it seems almost like the Caribbean – in that temps rise and fall to about the same level each day (highs 86 to 92 F....lows 66 t0 70 F at night.

As far as records…yes NWS Central Park has had a torrid July, I only hope what left of this month can even things out. I’m no fan of climate change. Also, it’s not just the Tri-State area that’s getting close to records: According to what I’ve read, NWS Washington National is having its hottest July on record so far. Heat index values were near 110 F today:

Old 07-18-2012, 10:41 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Yes, the NWS station at Bridgeport (I think ) is very close, if not on the water, so 90’s and 100’s are more rare it seems. Also, agree that there seems to be a strong consistency to the heat this summer, it seems almost like the Caribbean – in that temps rise and fall to about the same level each day (highs 86 to 92 F....lows 66 t0 70 F at night.

As far as records…yes NWS Central Park has had a torrid July, I only hope what left of this month can even things out. I’m no fan of climate change. Also, it’s not just the Tri-State area that’s getting close to records: According to what I’ve read, NWS Washington National is having its hottest July on record so far. Heat index values were near 110 F today:

The 10 day shows much cooler than it's been, still near normal, so while I think July will almost certainly be in the "top 10" (for Central Park, and presumably Bridgeport, though OKX only shows top 10 for CPK and just the "record" for the rest of them), I doubt it will be an all-time July, DC I don't know though, since they've had 100+ days where we were "only" about 90 and not close on those same days.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:58 AM

Default Major Severe Storm Threat July 18, 2012

Here we go. I wont be able to keep up with the storms. They are developing too QUICK!!! Be safe everyone. Hail report already from White Plains.

1244 PM HAIL WHITE PLAINS 41.02N 73.76W
07/18/2012 E0.75 INCH WESTCHESTER NY TRAINED SPOTTER

Old 07-18-2012, 12:38 PM

224 pm edt wed jul 18 2012
the national weather service in taunton has issued a
* flash flood warning for...
Hartford county in northern connecticut...
Windham county in northern connecticut...
Tolland county in northern connecticut...
Southeastern hampden county in western massachusetts...
Southern worcester county in central massachusetts...
Kent county in rhode island...
Providence county in rhode island...
* until 615 pm edt

* at 212 pm edt...doppler radar indicated thunderstorms producing
heavy rain across western connecticut as well as hampden and
southern worcester counties in massachusetts. Flash flooding of
poor drainage and urban areas is expected to begin shortly.
Northern connecticut...central and northern rhode island as well as
hampden and worcester counties in massachusetts will experience
repeated thunderstorms with heavy rainfall.
Precautionary/preparedness actions...

Excessive runoff from heavy rainfall will cause flooding of small
creeks and streams...highways and underpasses. Additionally...
Country roads and farmlands along the banks of creeks...streams
and other low lying areas are subject to flooding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut