Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 04:37 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeroAdobe View Post
The only people that love CT are the natives who are pretty much scared of their own shadow and won't leave CT except for vacations. I'm leaving soon as I get a job outside of the state, and I hope it's not next to CT either.
That's not true. I've lived elsewhere and traveleld a lot. CT definitely has its issues, but I love CT. You'll learn to love it too once you settle down and have kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,064 times
Quote:
The only people that love CT are the natives who are pretty much scared of their own shadow and won't leave CT except for vacations. I'm leaving soon as I get a job outside of the state, and I hope it's not next to CT either.
This couldn't be further from the truth. Especially when you consider the core Connecticut crowd to be more educated, traveled and progressive. Sorry you couldn't hack it here, but no need to warp reality.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:53 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Me: 18 Years in Connecticut, then 16 years in Texas, and Now Back in Connecticut for going on Three Years and Loving it.

Parents: New York Until 1978-- Connecticut 1978 - 2006 -- Florida 2006-10 -- Now back in Connecticut and loving it.

#CommentFail

Old 01-29-2013, 08:17 PM

103 posts, read 144,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random83274 View Post
I originally posted here a few months ago:
Relocating to Connecticut - help!

I'm coming from Dallas. I love it there. It has everything I want in an urban setting with 100s of restaurants/bars, but there's countless suburbs that I can drive to on a whim and find something on a drop of a hat. I'm in my late 20s, single, male.

My company is relocating me for my job in the Hartford area. I generally need to be in the general Hartford area probably on a busy week about 3-4 times a week for the most part, and there will be probably many weeks I will probably only need to be in 1-2x a week. I can telecommute the rest of the time.

That said, needing to stay within a 30 minute commute (driving) is not absolutely necessary and I'm willing to live in a reasonable distance (50-75 miles) if necessary so I don't go crazy from boredom. This is especially true after this past week I've been here for work and finally checking out what the towns in the area have to offer.

Now, I'm not extremely needy by any means. I lived in Syracuse a few years, and it was fine. The downtown (Armory Square) was great, and it had tons to offer. It had a great nightlife scene where everything was in a safe walking area. It had food all around town that didn't take long at all to find anything new to eat/drink without the need to use Yelp/Foursquare to find anything. Prior to going there for school, I heard a bunch of bad things but it turned out to be awesome. I was thinking Hartford would be the same. Unfortunately, it isn't turning out to be that case. I spent the whole day exploring between Hartford and New Haven, and all I found was depressed and run down suburbs. Everyone I spoke with in Hartford said, "West Hartford has great stuff."

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot, but the Blue Black Square that seems to be the only thing is really just a few local shops and a bar or 2. The Irish bar is nice, but it'll get old extremely fast I can tell. The square/town center seems like it could be great, but coming from Dallas it is really nothing more than a strip mall that appears like a nightlife spot (minus any actual nightlife). Is this the biggest citywalk and congregation of young professionals in CT (except for the NYC suburb towns)? I drove through New Haven, and it seemed to live up to its reputation of what I heard about that Yale is gorgeous and everywhere else is a dump.

I know a long commute may be a little stressful or possibly a little pricier for gas, but really I just can't see myself going 'home' to a duplex built in 1920 and counting down the days every day until I can make it down to NYC for the weekend, or get out of town on business. It's extremely disheartening when all I can read online or hear from people locally is they can't wait to move out of the state. I was just sitting at a burger place, and I overheard the waiters talking to each other about how much they can't wait to get out.

A riddle for you: What's got 2 thumbs and got the hell out of CT the first chance he got? This guy!!

Seriously, if I was you I would tell the job to go screw, stay in Dallas and get on with some other company. CT is a dying crap hole and is on its way to rust belt status. Cost of living, boring cities and a lack of affordable decent living options is sending every twenty-something packing.

By the way, it was 72 here today

Old 01-30-2013, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaganite22 View Post
CT is a dying crap hole and is on its way to rust belt status.

Connecticut unemployment rate: 8.5
North Carolina unemployment rate: 9.6

#wrong.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:29 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaganite22 View Post
A riddle for you: What's got 2 thumbs and got the hell out of CT the first chance he got? This guy!!

Seriously, if I was you I would tell the job to go screw, stay in Dallas and get on with some other company. CT is a dying crap hole and is on its way to rust belt status. Cost of living, boring cities and a lack of affordable decent living options is sending every twenty-something packing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

#wrong.
And don't forget Connecticut has a much higher median income as well as being close to one of the greatest cities in the world. We have some of the most educated people in the world here as well. Not exavctly what you would expect from a "dying crap hole on its way to rust belt status".

And the tempurature may be 72 today but what will it be in mid-August? Yeah, NC is such a great place to live. Jay

Old 01-30-2013, 11:43 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,301 times
completely unfair comparison...dallas to hartford.

even the people i know in the OP's profile/demographic that work in stamford and greenwich (which have much better options IMO for someone in the OP's demographic) live in the city and reverse commute on metro north to their jobs.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,301 times
Quote:
That's not true. I've lived elsewhere and traveleld a lot. CT definitely has its issues, but I love CT. You'll learn to love it too once you settle down and have kids.
tough to meet as many people to even think of the option of having kids if you are in CT as a single person in their 20's.

You move to CT when the first kid has to start school....then CT gets appealing.

Before then, it is depressing.

CT is nice for what it is, but it isn't for everyone at all stages of their lives.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
You move to CT when the first kid has to start school....then CT gets appealing.
That was exactly my point.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:03 PM

103 posts, read 144,365 times
Quote:

#wrong.
Actually, December unemployment rates were 8.6 for CT, and 9.2 for NC. Why don't you try reading once in awhile. Plus, its pretty easy for the unemployment rate to go down in CT when people are leaving the state in droves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut