Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 08:09 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,903 times

Advertisements

Not buying any stocks just yet. Took 20 yrs after 29 to get to parity, 8 after Dot.com, 6 after housing collapse.
Until we are the downhill of the new cases rate or a cure/vaccine....I don't see the market going up.
Buy only companies sitting on loads of cash.
Amzn, Wm, sure...

Keep in mind you can now access your 401k etc w/o tax penalties.
Many will be living off money they pulled out of the market.
This is not the same as before....

Old 03-21-2020, 08:42 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Not buying any stocks just yet. Took 20 yrs after 29 to get to parity, 8 after Dot.com, 6 after housing collapse.
Until we are the downhill of the new cases rate or a cure/vaccine....I don't see the market going up.
Buy only companies sitting on loads of cash.
Amzn, Wm, sure...

Keep in mind you can now access your 401k etc w/o tax penalties.
Many will be living off money they pulled out of the market.
This is not the same as before....
This is more like 9/11 on steroids than any of those drops.

It's something that's never happened before, so we're in unchartered territories.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:43 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Stock buying is a good choice, things will eventually get better and these prices haven't been seen in years. I think Monday I'm going to hunt far expiry (6+ months) calls in companies I think will weather the storm well enough.I know people trying to play VXX and VIX that will get eaten by any upswing next few weeks though.
I've switched my focus to 2021-2022 option calls.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:22 PM

21 posts, read 16,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Fairfield County economy could take months to over year to recover
The housing market this autumn and beyond will skyrocket as the well heeled depart NYC. Ball Dont Lie Son

Old 03-21-2020, 11:11 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimCharles69 View Post
The housing market this autumn and beyond will skyrocket as the well heeled depart NYC. Ball Dont Lie Son
You may be right. Just like after 9/11, a lot of city people realized that living in a crowded city has issues. Maybe this is the push Mellenials need to give up or at least lessen their desire to walk to everything. Will see. Jay

Old 03-22-2020, 06:59 AM

6,904 posts, read 3,742,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You may be right. Just like after 9/11, a lot of city people realized that living in a crowded city has issues. Maybe this is the push Mellenials need to give up or at least lessen their desire to walk to everything. Will see. Jay
I agree with Chuck and yourself. I think Bpt100 is just placating to Bob and friends.

FFC can take a punch. Big ones too, especially along the coastal mainline thorofares. The white collar personnel are telecommuting. They're fine.
FFC and CT will come out on the other side just fine. Some mom and pops and restaurants won't survive the punches but others will come in their place. The A-game owners and chefs will come back fine.
The health of its citizens is of the upmost importance. Economically speaking its really just an inconvenience.

Other regions like Florida and AZ with Spring Training ball are really feeling the burn.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:04 AM

982 posts, read 599,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I agree with Chuck and yourself. I think Bpt100 is just placating to Bob and friends.

FFC can take a punch. Big ones too, especially along the coastal mainline thorofares. The white collar personnel are telecommuting. They're fine.
FFC and CT will come out on the other side just fine. Some mom and pops and restaurants won't survive the punches but others will come in their place. The A-game owners and chefs will come back fine.
The health of its citizens is of the upmost importance. Economically speaking its really just an inconvenience.

Other regions like Florida and AZ with Spring Training ball are really feeling the burn.
Regions which have tourist based economies are going to be hardest hit. For us that means the NL area, but luckily even they have other really solid buisinesses (such as EB) so CT will weather the storm fairly well as a whole. That being said many of the buisinesses that will be lost are those that bring the most local character.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:17 AM

6,904 posts, read 3,742,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
Regions which have tourist based economies are going to be hardest hit. For us that means the NL area, but luckily even they have other really solid buisinesses (such as EB) so CT will weather the storm fairly well as a whole. That being said many of the buisinesses that will be lost are those that bring the most local character.
If the smoke clears in a month or two, Summer tourism will be back to BAU. It'll be fine.
NL area isn't hoppin' this time of year. No impact.
FL and AZ are taking on Mike Tyson sized punches right now as we speak.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:21 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:

Coronavirus exposes weaknesses of Florida’s economy

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion...5jm-story.html

Old 03-22-2020, 11:25 AM

570 posts, read 477,553 times
Quote:
If the smoke clears in a month or two, Summer tourism will be back to BAU. It'll be fine.
NL area isn't hoppin' this time of year. No impact.
FL and AZ are taking on Mike Tyson sized punches right now as we speak.

You have some good optimism Steve but psychological impact will take a long time and if govt keeps delaying help, this will become Thunderdome quickly. It is terrifying for elderly and poor with kids. We have to think of ways to get to them immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut