Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 09:48 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times

Advertisements

Oh my god! I just checked the income inequality statistics by metro area, and Fairfield County ranks #1 in the NATION, with a Gini Index of 0.55. Holy crap. That means FFC is the most classist segregated metro area in the nation!

Old 11-02-2014, 09:58 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Oh my god! I just checked the income inequality statistics by metro area, and Fairfield County ranks #1 in the NATION, with a Gini Index of 0.55. Holy crap. That means FFC is the most classist segregated metro area in the nation!

that nothing new from Beverly Hills to the 3rd world proverty welcome to Fairfield County

Old 11-03-2014, 05:08 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Yep. My kids are a little younger than yours (one in middle school, and the other in last year of elementary school).And we kind of live in the "country" too based on how a lot of the rest of our county lives. And while we definitely live comfortably enough in one of the far reaching northern suburbs of the county, the 4 of us live on a household income that starts with the number "2, but not much more than that. It's certainly a great number in most places, but to be perfectly honest, excluding the cities in fairfield county, we are pretty much excluded from the lower fairfield county towns based on our income. And so instead, I have a 55 minute commute; and my husband who owns a plumbing company, is all over fairfield and westchester counties every day, clocking around 150 miles per day easily - It's definitely tough. If we did not have family in NY that we wanted to see in an hour + whenever we wanted, we definitely would have considered relocating to NH instead, especially these last few years. And honestly NH is a place we have a close family connection to and it's close to our hearts. We own a house there already, so it wouldn't be so far of a stretch. Granted not the house I would want to live in full time, but it could easily be worked around. After we get rich here, of course. (Not!). Lol!
Trade school is an option for my kids as well. My uncle is an electrician in NY and has done well

Old 11-03-2014, 07:24 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
One dramatic nep thread closes, and another begins. When will it end?

Old 11-03-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
One dramatic nep thread closes, and another begins. When will it end?
Well, there was a turning point in the saga, so I figured I'd share and get some opinions, advice, insight and the like. It won't end until I'm gone from FFC.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:18 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, there was a turning point in the saga, so I figured I'd share and get some opinions, advice, insight and the like. It won't end until I'm gone from FFC.
It won't end as long as you're active on this forum, rather.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:13 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,469 times
To me it seems simple. I'm only an outsider looking in but my assumption is you live in an area where the cost of living is higher then your annual salary so perhaps you feel that you keep working away with very little to show for it.

If I were in a situation similar I would move. I'm not going to bust my butt to try and keep up with the Joanses nor would I push my own happiness or well being aside for a salary that is apparently not enough to maintain a quality of life due to the expense of said demographic.

My brother makes less then I do and has a beautiful little home in Florida with swimming pool and all kinds of stuff. He pays 550 a month for a mortgage on a home in Ocala Florida.

My point is you may earn less in another region but if the salaries of that region are in line with the cost of living then you come out a head.

Any place within an hour of Manhattan, DC, San Francisco, you're going to pay twice as much for the same thing that's cheaper somewhere else. I'm lucky cause I'm married and our combined incomes is over 100k but we live in a little Virginia rural town where you can purchase a 3 bedroom home for 120k.

I personally would never live in a place that made me that unhappy. It's just not worth it.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
To me it seems simple. I'm only an outsider looking in but my assumption is you live in an area where the cost of living is higher then your annual salary so perhaps you feel that you keep working away with very little to show for it.

If I were in a situation similar I would move. I'm not going to bust my butt to try and keep up with the Joanses nor would I push my own happiness or well being aside for a salary that is apparently not enough to maintain a quality of life due to the expense of said demographic.

My brother makes less then I do and has a beautiful little home in Florida with swimming pool and all kinds of stuff. He pays 550 a month for a mortgage on a home in Ocala Florida.

My point is you may earn less in another region but if the salaries of that region are in line with the cost of living then you come out a head.

Any place within an hour of Manhattan, DC, San Francisco, you're going to pay twice as much for the same thing that's cheaper somewhere else. I'm lucky cause I'm married and our combined incomes is over 100k but we live in a little Virginia rural town where you can purchase a 3 bedroom home for 120k.

I personally would never live in a place that made me that unhappy. It's just not worth it.
Well, it's not that easy. I'm not moving with no job lined up. I spent the last three months looking for jobs and it didn't amount to much. I mean, I guess I could continue searching. But I just don't see why anyone would want to hire someone who has job hopped as much as I have. It seems like most of the companies who responded to my applications are companies that are in turmoil with high turnover, long hours and a predatory environment. What good is that?

Old 11-03-2014, 01:28 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,846 times
So Nep, these are your dream places?

Hartford Area
Western/Central NY
Detroit Area
Milwaukee Area

Based on your recent posts, I think the Buffalo Area is your "true" dream place.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
So Nep, these are your dream places?

Hartford Area
Western/Central NY
Detroit Area
Milwaukee Area

Based on your recent posts, I think the Buffalo Area is your "true" dream place.
I like the Hartford area, but I'm just sick of it and would like a change anyway. I already lived there for nearly 30 years.

I like central/west NY, yes. I am also open minded to Florida, believe it or not. And I love Oregon, Idaho and Nevada, although it might be too BROWN and dry for me. I can't even begin to tell you how many friend of mine from New England moved to San Diego, only to move back east because it was "too dry" there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut