Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 09:09 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
This is getting really off topic to the OP, but a recruiter is probably your best bet. I was nervous I was pigeonholed (10 years of experience in the same field) but it turns out it's not too hard to retool your qualifications, especially if you have a recruiter helping you get the connections.
Yeah but even if they retool your qualifications, chances are you're still going to end up in a similar career anyway. For example, if I miraculously was able to leave tax accounting, I'd probably end up in general accounting or a financial analyst role or something similar like that. That's when I think.....eh....what's the point in making a career change then? I'd still be sitting at a computer using Excel and following a set of rules all the time, anyway. Might as well stay where I am and continue making more money. You know? And who's to say that the new career would be any more fulfilling or enjoyable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 09:15 AM

879 posts, read 1,659,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yeah but even if they retool your qualifications, chances are you're still going to end up in a similar career anyway. For example, if I miraculously was able to leave tax accounting, I'd probably end up in general accounting or a financial analyst role or something similar like that. That's when I think.....eh....what's the point in making a career change then? I'd still be sitting at a computer using Excel and following a set of rules all the time, anyway. Might as well stay where I am and continue making more money. You know? And who's to say that the new career would be any more fulfilling or enjoyable?
The reason is because sometimes it takes stepwise changes to get to your final goal.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:19 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
I'd agree with 200+. I make over 100 and feel like I can't even come close to affording those towns, even without kids.

More affordable towns abound north and east. Why not look there?

Old 11-24-2014, 09:35 AM

642 posts, read 858,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
For those 4 towns, minimum 150k per year combined or single.
I agree you would need 150K minimum in lower Fairfield County for your wish list if you buy an average house down there and you will have a mortgage 10/90 or 20/80 (down payment/mortgage amount).

There are some statistics right here on City-Data which could give you a good guide. Go look up a town you want to live in and see what the average house price is and average household income is. With your wish list you are going to need more than the household income. Labor/workers to work on your home is very expensive in Fairfield County. Most plumbers and electricians I know who own their own small business (themselves and 1 or 2 helpers) make more than the stock brokers on Wall Street.

I live in Trumbull which is in northern Fairfield County and I can tell you that people in my town making the median HH income living in an average house need to do most of the work around the house themselves (lawn maintenance, painting etc). We can not live an extravagant life style and take one or two European vacations every year like you want to do. The people I know in Trumbull who are making much more than the median income can afford your wish list. I am thinking this will be true in the other towns also.

I am going to ballpark and say you will need about 20% to 30% above a town's medium HH income for your wish list.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:38 AM

399 posts, read 850,820 times
Speaking from experience, I think you're talking about a minimum of 200k to sleep well at night while paying for a conventional mortgage (e.g. 400k ish), two non-luxury but decent cars, 2-3 kids, and some pocket change for what you fancy. And that's not living large at all - throw in some family vacations (which can easily run $5k a pop) and I'd rather be closer to $300 than $200 at that point to feel comfy.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:00 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
You make it sound like 100% of all the challenges that I face are solely my fault 100% of the time.
Let's call it 99%.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:51 AM

229 posts, read 462,932 times
Yearly trips to Europe are not so much for pleasure but for necessity, since all my family is there and they can't afford plane tickets... but i guess not staying too close with family is the price you pay as an immigrant.. I'm just reflecting, not necessarily asking for advice here...

but i did post the above topic because i sometimes feel that i've achieved enough and more than i would have ever achieved if i had never come to the US, but at the same time, when i see my coworkers who talk about their house remodels, yearly vacations and cars which are definitely better than mine, i wonder if i do something wrong, because i cant keep up with them despite having the same income. yep, inferiority complex here.

anyway guys, thanks and please keep sharing your comments/individual experiences. it give me perspective

Old 11-24-2014, 10:56 AM

879 posts, read 1,659,704 times
I would not feel bad. My parents taught me at a young age not to judge from appearances - you don't know who might be drowning in debt to support multiple extravagant vacations a year. It is seemingly also not unusual for people to inherit money here - even if they aren't living in a huge estate.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:57 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marketa View Post
Yearly trips to Europe are not so much for pleasure but for necessity, since all my family is there and they can't afford plane tickets... but i guess not staying too close with family is the price you pay as an immigrant.. I'm just reflecting, not necessarily asking for advice here...

but i did post the above topic because i sometimes feel that i've achieved enough and more than i would have ever achieved if i had never come to the US, but at the same time, when i see my coworkers who talk about their house remodels, yearly vacations and cars which are definitely better than mine, i wonder if i do something wrong, because i cant keep up with them despite having the same income. yep, inferiority complex here.

anyway guys, thanks and please keep sharing your comments/individual experiences. it give me perspective
Do not get sucked into keeping up with the Joneses. I've seen it happen and its not pretty. It ends with lots of debt and/or bankruptcy, divorce. Living within your means is key to a happy and successful life.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:58 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,238,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Do not get sucked into keeping up with the Joneses. I've seen it happen and its not pretty. It ends with lots of debt and/or bankruptcy, divorce. Living within your means is key to a happy and successful life.
100% Agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut