Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 11:04 AM

109 posts, read 161,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketa View Post
but i did post the above topic because i sometimes feel that i've achieved enough and more than i would have ever achieved if i had never come to the US, but at the same time, when i see my coworkers who talk about their house remodels, yearly vacations and cars which are definitely better than mine, i wonder if i do something wrong, because i cant keep up with them despite having the same income. yep, inferiority complex here.

anyway guys, thanks and please keep sharing your comments/individual experiences. it give me perspective
Sometimes this is all just a facade.....know plenty of people who appear to have it all, yet things come crashing down in later years as they were just spend, spend spend in order to maintain a certain image rather than make any sort of sensible financial plans for the future. You just never know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 11:25 AM

642 posts, read 859,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Towns like Newtown (avg sale price $335k), Trumbull ($363k), Monroe (321k) and Shelton ($285k) will be a lot more affordable for Fairfield County than adjacent towns to the south.
You are a little off kidyankee. That is why it is getting harder and harder for middle class individuals to live in eastern FF County too. Average house price from City-Data info as of 2012.

Newtown: 395,197
Trumbull: 386,813
Monroe: 385,748
Shelton: 325,154

I am from Stamford and when I bought my house in Trumbull over 15 years ago house prices were about 1/2 of the house prices in Stamford. Now look what is happening.

Stamford: 478,000
Trumbull: 386,813.

Trumbull vs a Stamford house is not 1/2 the price anymore.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:30 AM

879 posts, read 1,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
You are a little off kidyankee. That is why it is getting harder and harder for middle class individuals to live in eastern FF County too. Average house price from City-Data info as of 2012.

I am from Stamford and when I bought my house in Trumbull over 15 years ago house prices were about 1/2 of the house prices in Stamford. Now look what is happening.

Stamford: 478,000
Trumbull: 386,813.

Trumbull vs a Stamford house is not 1/2 the price anymore.
Are you looking at average sale price or average home value? I would look at median sale value to get a good picture of what people are actually paying right in the middle of the range for the town.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Are you looking at average sale price or average home value? I would look at median sale value to get a good picture of what people are actually paying right in the middle of the range for the town.
It is the estimated median house or condo value on City-Data.

Here is why I would not go by the SALES figures of any particular month or quarter of a year. Let's say in Trumbull, Newtown and Monroe the smaller houses are selling (which would be BELOW average) better for some reason and the average and large houses are not selling during that particular time frame. If you go to buy an average house (3-4 bedroom 2000 SF) you are still going to have to pay about $400,000 in Trumbull, Monroe and Newtown.

Do you have a link to show the houses being sold at the lower prices? I would be interested to see if they are smaller than the average houses in those particular towns.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
It is the estimated median house or condo value on City-Data.

Here is why I would not go by the SALES figures of any particular month or quarter of a year. Let's say in Trumbull, Newtown and Monroe the smaller houses are selling (which would be BELOW average) better for some reason and the average and large houses are not selling during that particular time frame. If you go to buy an average house (3-4 bedroom 2000 SF) you are still going to have to pay about $400,000 in Trumbull, Monroe and Newtown.

Do you have a link to show the houses being sold at the lower prices? I would be interested to see if they are smaller than the average houses in those particular towns.
Hrm, I do not. I appreciate your point, but then at the same time, I imagine it's pretty well reflective of how fast "normal" priced homes move versus the big multi-million dollar homes that tend to skew averages. I will dig into the data and see what I can find!

Old 11-24-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Hrm, I do not.......... I will dig into the data and see what I can find!
Let's do this another way. Where are you getting your data to dig into that shows the lower house prices?

Old 11-24-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Let's do this another way. Where are you getting your data to dig into that shows the lower house prices?
Median sale price toggled to 3 bedroom or 4 bedroom home here:

Fairfield Home Prices and Home Values - Zillow

Old 11-24-2014, 03:09 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:

Actually, I'm not off. The numbers I gave are as of November, 2014.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:32 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,232,417 times
I also find price per square foot to be a helpful indicator too -- it kind of levels the playing field a bit and gives you a good idea how to compare apples to apples (some towns have higher percentages of older/smaller homes (*though smaller homes generally command a higher price per square foot), and so it's not always fair to compare those prices to a town that has lots of new developments w/ big houses; also, some small towns have far fewer sales during the same time period than a larger town would, and so you may not be necessarily be getting an accurate representation of "average" homes in the small town during the snapshot period -- it can be skewed wildly one way or the other). I like Trulia for this -- if you click on the "local information/market trends" tab, you can see almost real time data. For instance, right now trulia is posting numbers for the 3 months ending Nov. 14th. Based on the towns you mentioned above CTartist, these are the average price per square foot numbers for sold properties during the period August 14th through November 14th:

Newtown: $180 square foot
Trumbull: $203 square foot
Monroe: $169 square foot
Shelton: $161 square foot
Stamford (all zip codes combined): $289 square foot

Edit: KidYankee's numbers are spot on -- he must have been looking at Trulia too : )

Last edited by Lalalally; 11-24-2014 at 04:31 PM..

Old 11-24-2014, 04:16 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,868,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marketa View Post
when i see my coworkers who talk about their house remodels, yearly vacations and cars which are definitely better than mine, i wonder if i do something wrong, because i cant keep up with them despite having the same income. yep, inferiority complex here.

Did you ever see this commercial from Lending Tree?

I'm in debt up to my eyeballs... - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut